1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers Expectations for Gasol Trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dkamberi25, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8103436/sources-los-angeles-lakers-want-established-player-top-10-pick-pau-gasol

If anyone needs a good laugh below is the section of the article that lays out what the Lakers want for Gasol. They trade for him in his prime 5 years ago for a few late 20's first rounders and Kwame Brown and expect 5 years later when Gasol is coming off his prime and is now into his 30's to get a top 10 pick, established player and have the trading team pick up all of Gasol's contract. Good luck with that LA.

2. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Lakers shouldn't even be allowed to trade that bird**** with the way they acquired him! No way a team gives up a top 10 pick for that Spanish flopper, I hope..

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

4. SunsRocketsfan

Gasol trade was awesome for Memphis though.

They drafted his brother Marc (who is arguably better than him now) and also relieved cap room to get Zach Randolph who is no scrub.

Marc Gasol + Randolph >>>> Pau Gasol

Doesn't seem so lopsided anymore.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Lakers = as arrogant as they come...

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They want a top ten pick
    A decent starter/good role player
    And to receive none to very little salary from that player.

for a 31 year old power forward who missed the allstar game this year/makes 19 mill a year for the next 3 years i think?

Why would expect that?

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They actually traded for his draft rights, Memphis did not draft Marc.

And Z-Bo was not someone they cleared cap for, they lucked up and signed him to a cheap, short term deal, he blew up and now he has his somewhat max contract.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Taking Gasol's contract is kinda part-and-parcel with trading for Gasol. I suppose they mean they don't want to take someone else's albatross contract in the process.

But, the description is pretty vague around this 'established player'. A top-10 pick and an established player on a reasonable contract seems reasonable depending on how good a player the "established player" is.

9. conquistador#11

No* se* puede!

10. Raven

Raven Member

Good, because not even Morey lust for Gasol that much.

11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

You just jinxed it! :(

12. SunsRocketsfan

traded for draft rights or drafted whatever.. Marc was drafted by the Lakers and basically traded for Pau. Looking at it today I don't think any team would trade Marc for Pau straight up.

Regarding Randolph they actually traded Q. Rich for him I believe and signed him to an extension. It was a series of great movies by Memphis. Getting rid of Gasols contract freed up the cap space for them to sign Randolph to a long term team. So a series of trades and moves around the Gasol trade netted them Marc + Randolph for giving up Pau. Not so lop sided at all.

13. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

If I was DM I would just hang up if they said that. If thats what there wanting in return then it's safe to say Pau will be a Laker next year

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

I thought Gasol was the reason why Kobe won his last two championships? I thought Stern and the league favored the lakers so they gave them a superstar player like Gasol for nothing. Now he's chopped liver around here?

1 person likes this.
  15. Ashes

Ashes Member

Laughable at best.

16. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Marc with his brother I wouldn't be suprised (judging by the Lakers asking price) if LA straight up asked for Rufy Gay and a 1st.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He was in his prime then. He's on a decline now. Pretty simple logic if you ask me.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Let LA keep him. Keep the albatross contract. Pay the LT. Screw you LA!

1 person likes this.
  19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Disagree, it was just 2 years ago. And if you looked at the comments on the nba forums, when Pau Gasol was with Memphis he was chopped liver there as well. Soft, weak, slow, etc etc etc.

It was just an excuse to not give Kobe any credit. Admit it.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I will honestly say I am shocked by your comments. I always thought you were a Kobe hater.