1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laker: They won but could they have been a better team if?????

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SmeggySmeg, Jul 6, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Swopa,

You just don't get it, DO YOU? Its all FIXED! F-I-X-E-D! The Lakers are gonna be in the next 5 finals so that the NBA can make all the money it can. But, they will have seven game series soon. Just pay attention, damn it!

Swopa, can't you see whats happening here? Let me enlighten you a little.

The Lakers get all the calls and get NBC/NBA to write the scripts so that they can win. But what happens? Smart, intuitive people like Coach, Mantronix, Will and I take notice. And its spreading. More and more, people start to see that the NBA/NBC and the refs are all in cahoots to have the Lakers win. But, they can't make is so obvious. Why? Because if enough people make noise, then the government will have no choice but to start interfering and setting up "commissions" to make everything fair. Sort of like boxing...except, David Stern is Don King. Anyway, that could ruin the NBA! Imagine Milwaukee winning a title? That can never happen! So what do they do? Ahh...here is where the genius comes in!!

They create the anti-Laker team! A team that wears white and has humble players who don't seek the limelight. This team is the total opposite of the Lakers and their glitz. And on top of that, it will be a small market team! That way, they can hide the fact that they want all the big markets to dominate.

And here is where ORLANDO comes in! They will get Duncan. They will get McGrady. And they will get Hill. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

Why? Just look at the spectre of it all. The Lakers represent all that is wrong with sports. Movies, women, booze, Jack Nicholson, and plastic surgery up the wazoo! And, look at the HUGE egos on the team. Kobe thinks he's Jordan. Shaq thinks he's Olajuwon. Rice thinks hes the second coming of Bernard King. Phil Jackson? He actually thinks he can coach! We all know that he won his ring this year because he had a dominant center! Any coach with a center of that caliber can win one, if not TWO titles...minimum!

Anyways...

Orlando will have all that is right with the sport. A humble, hungry coach. A humble player in Hill. A humble champion in Duncan. And a young, hard working, LOYAL superstar in McGrady. They are also an extremely small market. Orlando is the total opposite of LA! It has family values, laid back people, clean beaches, and people that say "thank you".

You know the NBA/NBC is telling Duncan, McGrady and Hill to sign there. No mistake about that. Just look at the good vs evil matchups they will have once the league finishes building Orlando:

Shaq(Darth Vader) vs Duncan(Obi-One-Kinobe)
    Kobe(Skeletor) vs Hill(He-Man)
    Rice(Joker) vs McGrady(Robin)
    LA(Gotham) vs Orlando(Pleasantville)
    Big Market vs Tiny Market

How good is that? Can you see the genius in that?

Swopa, I know its hard for you to see what Coach and I see. I know that its hard to see what the NBA/NBC and the refs are doing. But open your eyes! Its not that hard. Lets just sit back, relax, and watch how it unfolds! Who knows? The Rockets could catch a break and Francis can become one of the next big stars in this league. He has potential. But...can he read a script? He doesn't seem that smart...BUT NEITHER DID SHAQ! AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR!

Say it once. I will say it again:

I LOVE THIS FREAKIN GAME!!!

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

2. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Sorry, Almu, but I can't buy it.

Glen Rice's wife will never allow him to wear the makeup the Joker role would require. [​IMG]

(P.S. If Tracy McGrady is Robin, does that mean he has to wear the John Stockton-style tight shorts? Or is that why he's suddenly not so sure about signing with Orlando?)

------------------

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Swopa money talks.

They show Rice enough cash and he'll endores Maybelline products if he has to!

As for McGrady, we call him Robin cuz he'll play second fiddle. I guess that makes Grant Hill...Batgirl?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited July 08, 2000).]

4. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

Typical response from a 90210 infant. If you feel I said something wrong than I am happy for you. I hope you take everything personal I say as if I am referring to you because I could care less how you define things. Your plastic posts referring to me as your average joe are very comical. Your plastic team with their plastic implanted title is very hollywood like. But just like your typical breast implants in L.A, you can see the scars from the surgery and the same goes for the Lakers. There are many scars on their implanted title because it is fake.

Almu, Speak for yourself I dont agree with anything you have to say! In fact I know you are clowning around. Since you are a Jordan desciple I cant take anything you have to say serious because you actually believe Jordan won fairly.

------------------

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

No I don't!

I think NBA/NBC gave him all 8 of his titles! I am not dumb.

I am not a Jordan descliple...whachamacalit, either! I am John Paxson whachamawizzet.

Get it right!

(By the way, the last person who called me a Jordan whatever developed a bad case of toe nail fungus! You better watch it, buddy. My best friend is Haitian and knows some jungle giddygaddy that will make your head spin!)

------------------

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

And...

If you think Coach is EJ0881...clap your hands!!

[​IMG]

------------------

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Now now children, you play nice or you won't get any desert. [​IMG]

------------------

8. Swopa

Almu, don't you know it's not the Haitians who scare Coach; it's the evil "silversteins." [​IMG]

And don't worry, Coachster, I haven't taken anything you've said personally, particularly since I'm no longer a Laker fan (come on, it'd be like rooting for Microsoft), haven't lived in L.A. for several years, and am not Jewish. (Oh, sure, I could've been, but they explained to me that I'd have to help them run the world banking system, and that was more math than I was interested in. [​IMG])

But just so we don't misunderstand you, why don't you be a brave little boy and explain what you meant by that "silverstein platter" remark? It's fine if you don't want to, of course -- bigots usually are cowards, after all. You slipped up and revealed to the board what a hopeless loser you are, so I can't blame you for wanting to hastily throw some dirt over the evidence and scurry away.

------------------

9. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

AntiSonic,

Don Nelson? Ok... whatever you say. [​IMG]

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu

10. Swopa

You just know Nellie would have tried to play Shaq at point guard. How could he have resisted?

Incidentally, to bring this thread back to a more interesting topic, let me pose a question from my own experience. As I've said, I was a Lakers fan until the revolving door of personnel changes reassembled the team as a collection of (mostly Eastern Conference) mercenaries. Unquestionably, the first step in my estrangement was the signing of Shaq as a free agent. Although I respect the improvements that (IMHO) he has made in his game, as I note in my post above I think he also had a negative influence in a number of ways.

So my question to all of you is: How would you feel if, through some bizarre stroke of fate, Shaq signed with the Rockets? Especially those of you who are disdainful of his game. Would you be elated at the (presumably) greater likelihood of Houston regaining the championship, or would you feel queasy at the compromising of the team's identity? I know my feelings tended more toward the latter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited July 10, 2000).]

11. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Swopa,

I love Shaq. His game, to me, is still very basic. But I like the person that he is more. People are way too hard on him. You never see this guy doing any bad things on TV and he does tons of charity work. Hes a great person for his community.

We rail against this guy yet we root for Micheal Irvin and Anthony Mason? Weird.

I would love to have him here.

------------------

12. Swopa

Almu, there was a shocking lack of irony in your last post. Has someone stolen your password? [​IMG]

Your points are well taken. I didn't mean to paint Shaq as a villain, except to the extent that his actions violated my very personal preference for "home-grown" talent -- indeed, my basic question was whether anyone else felt that way about their team.

The Lakers can very rightfully be criticized as a collection of mercenaries who, in nearly all cases, wouldn't be on the team if it wasn't in L.A. (with Hollywood and everything else it entails). Heck, that's why Kareem went there, too. And when you look back at that '80s team, they had three #1 overall picks (Kareem/Magic/Worthy) and a #4 overall pick (Byron Scott) -- how could they not win a few rings?

That's why I liked the mid-'90s Van Exel/Jones/etc. team ... no one came to that team as a free agent chasing film or advertising deals; it was almost entirely built on smart Jerry West draft picks, none higher than #10 (Eddie Jones). He could have built that team in Sacramento or Vancouver just as easily as L.A.

That's the kind of team I find it most exciting to root for, not a conglomerate built on stealing other teams' established superstars.

------------------

13. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

Almu,

Amen bro. Amen.

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu