1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA Daily News] Rudy empathizes with Griffin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2646336,00.html

Rudy empathizes with Griffin
    LA Daily News
    By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

MINNEAPOLIS -- Other than members of his family, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Eddie Griffin had only two visitors during his stay at a John Lucas-run alcohol treatment center in Houston.

One was Houston Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. The second was Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich.

"I've been there myself," Tomjanovich said Monday. "Not in that one, but ..."

They sat in a room and talked for a half-hour, with Tomjanovich telling Griffin what he went through in battling alcoholism. Tomjanovich has been sober going on seven years, and Griffin played for him two seasons before his life came unglued.

"I took a lot away from that," Griffin said. "As you can see, he's doing good with his recovery."

Tomjanovich was unable to convince Griffin to play for the Lakers once he decided to return to basketball. He said Monday that he thought the Lakers were close to signing Griffin this summer before the 22-year-old forward opted for Minnesota.

"I'm sure they did a hell of job on him," Tomjanovich said. "I think (Kevin Garnett) can be very persuasive.

"I don't know what happened. All I know is the guy and I had a good relationship, and the feedback I got from people who were close to him was that he was really excited that I was interested."

Griffin has shown flashes in his first three months with the Timberwolves. The former No. 7 pick entered Monday averaging 9.9 points and 6.2 rebounds in 22 minutes per game.

The Lakers looked to Griffin to fill their 15th roster spot after Karl Malone postponed a decision on his future before the season. Griffin didn't elaborate on his reasons for signing with Minnesota, but he will be a free agent next summer.

"I came close to going over there," Griffin said of the Lakers, "but I felt like this was a better fit for me."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bet the Lakers would take him now, but for far more jack.

EG is going to be a RICH...ER man.

DD

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I firmly believe everyone deserves a 2nd chance...I'm not agreeing with what EG did, but woman can make men go crazy, but also we can be crazy with no help what so ever...

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wouldn't this be his 3rd or 4th chance?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just another soft power forward.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Why? He has been playing like crap lately - his early outburst was bloated and now he has come back to his true form. He was overrated by our staff and his mental makeup is not that of a winner. He will at best turn out to be a Joe Smith type of a player.

Best luck to him especially in dealing with the alcohol thing.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

have you checked out his numbers lately?

He's been putting up Nachbar stats and is below double digits on the season.

The only PFs like that who make lots of money are named Taylor and Howard.

8. MykTek

MykTek Member

regardless what happens, i'm still a fan of EG.... =)

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i miss rudy. van gundy may prove to be a better coach but he'll never have the admiration and loyalty from his players and fans like rudy does.

10. DaDakota

He is around 9.9ppg and around 24 min, up and down for sure, but still better than Taylor or Howard.

DD

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Damon Jones had about 10 chances prior to this year, that didn't stop people on this board from gushing over him and bashing the Rockets for not getting him this year.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

How is that really better when you factor in that Eddie Griffin has a terrible shot selection ability. Maybe terrible is an understatement but the last thing we need is another who does not know or understand his role.

Take a break and go to Minny's BBS and you will find out that they are not even giddy about eddie.

That said Eddie and Juwan season stats to date is a wash - advantage Juwan Howard. But in the last 5 games; Juwan and Maurice's play has been better than Eddie's.

While.....

Heck even Motay....

13. DaDakota

Sure, and thank the Lord that CD and JVG knew better, I mean who needs a PG shooting .412 from the 3pt line with a 4-1 Assist to turnover ratio...that guy would not help the Rockets at all.

:rolleyes:

STATS

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's played for 9 teams in 7 years DD.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

IMO, Eddie is better than Mo and JHo, but that doesn't make him a stud.

Eddie at his best is hitting that Ugly 3pt shot from the top and rebounding and blocking shots from the weak side. And that would make him a decent role player. Any other facet of his game he uses right now just brings his stock down.

KG and the Wolves are hurting. Eddie ain't the problem, but he ain't their Savior either.