1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving is a phenomenon.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gil, Nov 14, 2012.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

not enough balls to go around

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's a dual-citizen. Australian/American. His dad was playing in an Australian basketball league when Kyrie was born. Kyrie moved to the US by the age of 2, from what I recall reading.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Don't worry mate, Down here we know it.

4. dchoye

dchoye Member

Last night watching the Rox played Cavs
    I was wondering why Uncle Drew nickname
    Then checked out those Pepsi commercial
    Irving might become a fine actor someday

5. 713

713 Member

any chance he will play for the Aussies?

6. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He is a great scorer and shooter but also a very flawed player. He is a poor playmaker, turnover prone, and a horrendous defender. Overall, not what one would want from a PG. Another SG in a PG's body, *yawn*.

7. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

This. If you think it's hard enough for Lin and Harden to share, it's going to be much, much worse with Irving. Rather than staggering minutes, they might need to stagger games! :grin:

8. pnr

pnr Member

And the defense :eek:

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

But he's very efficient and can score from anywhere. So even if he is a SG, he can easily be possibly a better Iverson in the right system. I think the Cavs biggest mistake is drafting Waiters, who is a true SG. They should've taken someone like Barnes in the draft, and added a big PG. Perhaps even Jeremy Lin.

Irving is still a beast. But require some lineup tinkering to maximize his effectiveness. Unlike Harden, who is every bit what a prototypical star SG should be.

10. jocar

jocar Member

Did he and Kobe ever do the 1 on 1 for $50,000?

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Easily possibly? Interesting selection of words.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, AI is a HOF candidate and transcendental talent.

Yes I have to agree though that Irving is an exceptional talent, I enjoy watching him play and look forward to seeing him when he's got a good team built around him, but he would be a very bad fit on this team. He's still a very poor defender and a ball-dominant scorer who is mediocre at running plays.

He'd be better playing alongside a pass-first guard who can run an offense or do all the scrappy work, basically another Jeremy Lin.

12. Jet036

Jet036 Member

4 TOs per game

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He's a ball dominant scorer that is an amazing shooter. He's not the perfect fit but would still be great on this team. You could never leave him or Harden open off of the ball. Let's not forget that Harden thrived in an offense that included Westbrook.

14. FearTheBeardJH

Lin averaged like 20 FGA during Linsanity and got lower AST% and higher TOV% than Irving.

15. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

An Irving and Harden back-court would be impressive, but having two max salaries tied up in two perimeter star players who basically play the exact same game and are both net negatives on the defensive end isn't going to get you a 'ship, just another 50 win team and 2nd round exit in the West at best.

Harden thrived in OKC's system but they're also doing well without him. The Thunder are the best offense in the league while having one of the best defenses, there's a reason why they liked having Thabo start alongside Westbrook and it wasn't just because they needed Harden's impact off of the bench - it's because Thabo is a great perimeter defender while Westbrook is no slouch when he's engaged. Say what you will about Westbrook's boneheaded mistakes but Irving isn't even remotely as good as Westbrook is on defense.

An Irving/ Harden back-court is not in the same ball-park as a Westbrook/ Harden back-court.

1 person likes this.
  16. lalala902102001

Kyrie Irving is 20 years old and avering 23+ points in the NBA. I don't know how many players in the history of the NBA have done that but I think there is a strong chance that the answer is single digit.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I agree that defensively it would be a mess. I was addressing the fact that on offense they could definitely play together and pretty well at that. I also agree that it wouldn't be best it to tie up that much money in our backcourt when neither plays any defense. However, if we got the chance to get Kyrie I would jump at it and see how things worked out. If it failed it would be very easy to move either one.

18. pnr

pnr Member

He also won 7 straight games.

19. teknokid

teknokid Member

Kryie sorta reminds me of Monta Ellis with better 3's. I dont know how he would fit in championship caliber team.