1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving is a flat-Earth truther?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

Zoom into a basketball, it's flat! :rolleyes:

Show me ONE FLAT planet!

2. Buck Turgidson

If this is sarcasm, you've got me and kudos because it's brilliant. If not....

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I don't believe in these theories. I'm just stating them from my research on the topic because I was asked what theories I found interesting.

This is one of their bigger arguments I gathered.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

http://www.statisticshowto.com/what-does-it-mean-to-reject-the-null-hypothesis/

You can't actually prove something is true, because it's impossible to actually do so. You can only confirm what is not true, and substitute an alternative.

Basically, I am, therefore I exist, is an axiom, rather than an actual truth. It's a systematic failure of deductive reasoning.

BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

You research Flat Earth Hypothesis?

It's not a theory, btw.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Good stuff bro. I really appreciate scientific education from someone who studied it.

By the way i hate descartes. The cartesian circle is one of the biggest fallacies in logic that ive studied in philosophy.

He also tortured his wifes dog because he was a substance dualist who didnt believe dogs had "souls"

His views are out dated

MorningZippo and BigMaloe like this.
  7. BigMaloe

I'm assuming you didn't read my first post but yes spent the better half of a Saturday researching flat earth arguments and out of curiosity. Which took about 20 minutes to discredit pretty every argument they provided.

Except for the flight paths planes took, but tbh I didn't look into aviation because at this point I had already wasted my morning and mid day of my weekend and was ready to move on, confident I researched enough to fully understand and dismiss the topic altogether.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

What a long, strange thread it's been. If I did it was a quite a few posts ago. Apologies.

Sweet Black Baby Jesus, why would you do that?

9. BigMaloe

Lol my shop foreman is convinced it's flat. Every time I try talking sense to him about it, even now, he is dismissive because he's convinced. Lol. So out of respect I looked into it a couple of months back.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I'm following. Are you saying one of the flat earther's points is compelling and hard to refute, or the other way around,,,,that this is a hole in their logic.

A straight line on a flat map is not the shortest distance. A curve is. The Earth is a sphere. If you draw a straight line on a spherical globe from Houston to NYC, then flatten that globe into a 2D map, the straight line will take the shape of a curve.

Look up The Great Circle route...I think that's what it is called.

Yung-T and BigMaloe like this.
  11. BigMaloe

I'd have to find the argument or YouTube video. But in essence it was like going from India up to London down to Brazil(not the actual cities or their exact argument as I cannot fully recall) in an inverse V pattern, which extends the distance traveled and ETA.
    The argument is that path seems unorthodox on a globe to go out of your way but when you take that exact flight pattern and put it on a flat earth map it is almost a straight line, which would make it economically much more feasible.

12. heypartner

I can't visualize in my head what a Great Circle route would look like on a 2D map. But they go in straight lines as seen on a globe. Economically more feasible might take into consideration the jet stream, too....just like a ship will follow the ocean currents vs straight line....but that wouldn't apply to every path, but could to some.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

Well I never looked into but the argument was the weirdest one to me that I never followed up.

And it's not a great circle route. They studied the flight patterns on all the big flights and illustrated the flight route on a globe and on a "flat earth map".

Most looked like zigs and zag's on a globe, but we're straight lines on a flat earth map.

But I'm not well versed to make the argument for them and have no research against it and why aviation takes such paths.

Just stating something I found interesting that I never debunked.

14. ABS

ABS Member

Alright.....I did some light reading on the theory. You stand correct, sir. Flat-Earth theory means no gravity since there's no need for it on a "flat-earth".....thus an illusion.

15. ABS

ABS Member

You just can't keep my name out your mouth, huh? There are empirical evidence to support the "concept" of a flat-earth, which I was trying to convey to Yung. However, I made it clear in my first post here that, I believe the Earth to be a sphere.

So to condemn me as if I'm one of those Flat-Earth society members says alot about your personal animosity towards me than anything else.

In other words, just stfu. You know......"why not", right?

#ActRight

16. heypartner

yeah, I'd have to see that youtube, because the airlines are surely making a connection flight if in a V-pattern for business reasons. Or, the flat-earthers are just flat out (pun intended) misrepresenting what the path looks like on an actual globe.

If you don't see them actually draw a line on a real 3-D globe, then go get a globe yourself and draw the line. If it is a weird V-pattern on an accurate globe, then you have to rule out that the airlines doesn't have an actual business case for that connection.

btw: there are straight-line flight paths on the flat-earth map being debunked because the distance is way too far (versus the globe path) for those flights to arrive in the time that they do. You'd have to be going twice the speed of sound, in the debunked cases.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Here is a true story that does not make any sense on a globed earth map but perfect sense on a flat earth map:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...rts-to-alaska-after-aircraft-fills-with-smoke

18. Buck Turgidson

Because THAT would change your mind? Not the years of University education or post-grad literacy or anything?

19. heypartner

ugh...just talking to BigMaloe how one would debunk their V-shaped flight paths....one of the two reasons I mentioned, but I'd have to see the vid (which I don't really care about) to say whether they drew the line wrong.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

turn the page

#120 Buck Turgidson, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017