1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Two more hits today, including his 4th HR. Kid is making a case for this year, maybe not until later, but he's showing Hinch he belongs.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At this point I think he has at least earned the right to start in Fresno as opposed to Corpus.

Grydian, pw1993 and RasaqBoi like this.
  3. 713

713 Member

This is reminiscent to Kris Bryant in spring training couple seasons ago. His bat demands to be called up on Opening Day

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

5. K mf G

6. K mf G

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For all of the kids in the forum, look at where Tucker's eyes are until after the ball leaves the bat. Kyle's shoulder opens up with the swing, but his head and eyes are on the ball all the way until the crack of the bat.

CometsWin, pw1993, eric.81 and 2 others like this.
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Guys, I think we got a good one...

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

def reminds me of Bryant coming up for the Cubs. I think this kid is ready for the big leagues very soon. Seems like the real deal.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Then..... I'm faster than you..... (if I'm following your scenario correctly...?...)

McCann is on second base, two outs and you're tied 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth. Which of the two runners you described would you use to pinch run?

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Kris Bryant wasn't on the opening day roster, though. (And neither will Kyle Tucker. They can wait 3-ish weeks and gain another year of club-control. There is no pressing scenario that would force the Astros to give up that extra year. It's not like Kyle Tucker is the difference between them being good and bad.)

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Then your height is a detriment to your overall speed. And the taller guy will still win races against you.

You are using the wrong argument to try and prove the point. Assume you have two comparably sized runners. One has better leg speed but tends to lose in a race. What needs to happen is for him to improve other running techniques in order to become a better faster runner. Stride, posture, start, etc.

Leg speed is certainly a component of a runner’s overall makeup.

13. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Sound advice. I think the last time I heard it was on an episode of Johnny Bench's "Baseball Bunch".

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still trying to figure out how that poster knows that Tucker has better leg speed than Reddick.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do we know that Fresno is really better though? Yes, overall, the players there are older, seasoned, and can do things that guys in AA can't.

However, the upside/potential with AA players is more, there's still some dedicated teaching/instruction going on (not just with baseball, but overall 'growing up' issues), he's amongst peers more his age, and frankly being closer to Houston is always a plus.

He'll still get time at AAA... but I see it more like the amount of time Correa/Bregman had there vs. the amount of time Springer had there.

16. bobrek

That's a whole other argument.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

For one, I'm being about 99% sarcastic hence the ?!? at the end of the sentence. Secondly, that is EXACTLY the point I was trying to prove...was making fun of the guy saying he has better leg speed (i.e. doesn't necessarily matter). Think we are on the same page here.

Edit: Also as you somewhat mentioned when you said "start', I'd argue the most importantly aspect of playing OF or even stealing bases is acceleration.

#137 Htown Stros, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  18. Buck Turgidson

Why would they call him up on Opening Day?

Since "arm speed" and "bat speed" are things, I'm guessing people think "leg speed" is also a thing.

19. bobrek

It actually is, but I think it applies more to distance running.

20. Buck Turgidson

What is "Yoga pant speed?"

Sorry, I'm watching Jeopardy right now.