1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Singler staying for senior season

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by T-Slack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Dumb movie imo. He won the championship, and his stock will never be higher.

2. YourSecretLover

maybe he knows that hes not gonna last in the nba and instead tries to get a degree in college

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

At least John Wall can sleep at night now....

4. RocketMania1991

I'll take the league minimum over wanting to get my degree. Just get the degree once your one with the NBA.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Everyone's motivation for coming out now is to avoid the lockout. But in effect what that has led to is a supersaturated market in this year's rookie market. It's going to be a really deep draft, and good players will probably be picked up even into the 30's and 40's. The reality is that the cupboard for next year's draft will be bare (which will suck for our high pick that we'll be getting from New York hah) outside of the one-and-dones in this year's high school class.

So in effect Singler, if he's simply looking to get a better rookie contract rather than make one more year's worth of salary, is actually making the better BUSINESS decision. Even if his stock goes down from not winning the championship next year as opposed to winning it this year, he's still liable to be drafted at a higher pick than he would be this year, which I think was projected around 25 by draftexpress. Early projections for him next year would be ~15 if I had to guess.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Im sure hes looked at the pros and cons of leaving early and staying for his sr. year. I assume he is going to work on specific parts of his game and should be a late first round pick next year.

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Next year's draft looks pretty strong with all those great high school player getting. This year the only elite blue chipper was Wall. Next year's has 4 in Barnes, Perry, Irving and Knight.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, that negates my pick in the draft... :)

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

[​IMG]

How high were you when you made that pick?

1 person likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for Paul Bettany's b*stard child.

11. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

You mean once you're done? Based on that grammar/spelling I hope you are making the minimum right now.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Give RocketMania1991 a break. This is a basketball forum. There are few people who are fussier than I am about grammar and spelling, but typos and the tendency to revert to texting verbiage happen.

Back on topic, my personal feeling generally is take the money and run. Most players can always return to complete their degree while living on the millions earned playing basketball. However, if Singler feels he can improve his draft position and earn his degree, I'm happy for the kid.

13. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Fair point, got a little sidetracked there.

I'm normally for taking the money if the player is skilled enough otherwise the degree seems like a good backup plan, especially if you're already 75% of the way there like Singler is. Out of curiosity how many NBA players (outside of Shaq) have gone back and completed their degrees?

14. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Didn't Vince Carter get his degree...he even flew to NC for graduation before a playoff game when he was in Toronto

15. YourSecretLover

Kevin Durant i know takes summer classes at Texas still

Im pretty sure there are plenty of NBA players who go back to college to get degrees. Mostly scrubs I assume

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

(which will suck for our high pick that we'll be getting from New York hah)

With the way our team is going to be positioned next year we wont really need a high pick to get the guy we really need. There will be some real solid upper classmen in next years draft that Morey will find that can help us win right away. Not a bad year to get a draft pick if you are in a win now position which the Rockets will be in.

The pick will also be useful as a filler for a deal to be made this summer around July 1st for a sign and trade but it is and will continue to be a longshot to get a Bosh or Amare.

2011 will be the last year of Martins contract, Budinger, Hill, Taylor, Ariza performing at their highest level, and Brooks or Lowry running the point. Assuming one of them takes off to another team. I am also assuming Battier, Hayes, Jefferies, Yao, and Scola have either moved on or retired. The 2010 Draft pick is way more important to getting the blockbuster sign and trade or drafting an important player to go along with our future cast.

17. sbyang

sbyang Member

Great move by Singler, he gets to enjoy another year of being a sports hero. That's much better than being buried on the bench in the NBA.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Celebrated Happy 420 a little early! :p

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great. how freaking annoying.