1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kucinich requests New Hampshire recount

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zac D, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

...but he has to pay for it.

Any Obama backers who were curious about the disparity between polling and the election results have to be thrilled - they get a verification of the results without their guy looking like a sore loser.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22608231/

Kucinich asks for New Hampshire recount
    Cites concerns over Internet rumors and disparity between polls, results
    The Associated Press
    updated 9:50 a.m. ET, Fri., Jan. 11, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. - Democrat Dennis Kucinich, who won less than 2 percent of the vote in the New Hampshire primary, said Thursday he wants a recount to ensure that all ballots in his party's contest were counted.

The Ohio congressman cited "serious and credible reports, allegations and rumors" about the integrity of Tuesday results.

Deputy Secretary of State David Scanlan said Kucinich is entitled to a statewide recount. But, under New Hampshire law, Kucinich will have to pay for it. Scanlan said he had "every confidence" the results are accurate.

In a letter dated Thursday, Kucinich said he does not expect significant changes in his vote total, but wants assurance that "100 percent of the voters had 100 percent of their votes counted."

Kucinich alluded to online reports alleging disparities around the state between hand-counted ballots, which tended to favor Sen. Barack Obama, and machine-counted ones that tended to favor Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. He also noted the difference between pre-election polls, which indicated Obama would win, and Clinton's triumph by a 39 percent to 37 percent margin.

Candidates who lose by 3 percentage or less are entitled to a recount for a $2,000 fee. Candidates who lose by more must pay for the full cost. Kucinich's campaign said it was sending the $2,000 fee to start the recount.

Scanlon said his office had received several phone calls since Tuesday, mostly from outside the state, questioning the results. New Hampshire's voting machines are not linked in any way, which Scanlon says reduce the likelihood of tampering with results on a statewide level. Also, the results can be checked against paper ballots.

"I think people from out of state don't completely understand how our process works and they compare it to the system that might exist in Florida or Ohio, where they have had serious problems," he said. "Perhaps the best thing that could happen for us is to have a recount to show the people that ... the votes that were cast on election day were accurately reflected in the results. And I have every confidence that will be the case."

2. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Interesting. I hope to God nothing fishy was going on. I would not put anything past the Clintons. $$$

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cites concerns over Internet rumors
    _____

Um, ok...

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it is odd that every poll had obama up by over 10% points and he ends up losing. could it be that every single poll was wrong? for the most part, polls used to be pretty accurate, but it seems like with the increased roll of private voting machine companies in our elections that polls have started being drastically wrong (kerry in 04 comes to mind).

i read somewhere that there were a few counties where tranny ghoul-iani had 9.11%.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think NH doesn't use electronic voting.

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like they use a mixed system where some precincts tabulate the results electronically whereas others count the votes by hand (unless I'm getting electronic and machine-counted mixed up).

7. Major

Major Member

They do electronic voting, but all of the machines have printouts so the likelihood of fraud is very low. It will be interesting to the recount results - I wonder if they do both the Dem & GOP, or just the GOP. If Ron Paul was screwed out of some votes, there's going to be hell to pay with his crazy supporters. :)

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Obama supporters should donate money to Kucinich's campaign to help pay for the 2k.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What an attention w****.

Impeach Bush.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

My fear is this "recount" business will rear it's ugly head again and again no matter what...Stop it. ...Step on the neck and shoot it!

11. jo mama

where in the post you quoted did i say the word "electronic"?

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sure, but there are a lot more people than Billary who would like to put some roadblocks up for Obama. And some of those people are more closely tied to Diebold than Billary... I mean if you want to get all spooky.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, and I think some of them would prefer their candidate in the general to face Ms. Clinton, instead of Mr. Obama. I don't, however, think that they tinkered with New Hampshire. In my opinion, this is Kucinich pointing a finger at himself, saying, "Look at ME!!!"

Impeach Bush.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Kucinich wonders why no one takes him seriously.

One would figure that Kucinich would have something better to do with his money, like campaign, but this just proves that he is running a vanity campaign.

15. jo mama

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_BHPFHxF9CU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_BHPFHxF9CU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>