1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak Back to Broncos?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Dec 10, 2010.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

For being the 10th most valuable sports franchise in the world, the come nowhere close to spending enough money. the fact that people are even debating that Kubiak should not be fired because they would have to pay 2 coaches is evidence of that.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Penny pinching probably is a poor choice of words but I assure you they keep tight books. They'll spend money when necessary (to keep their marquee players or bring in a franchise QB), but aren't going to spend money on experiments. That doesn't make them cheap.

Two of the most successful teams in the last decade spend very little money on free agents: the Steelers and Patriots. In the Patriots case, they rarely even spend money to bring back their marquee players not named Tom Brady. You look at the names they have lost and it is astounding that they are still so good: Vrabel, Bruschi, Samuel, Seymour, etc.

And the Steelers are similar, except you see more continuity I think. The difference between those two and us though is that they are among the best at drafting (and apparently player development). They have found impact player after player through the draft.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know that anybody here is debating that he shouldn't be fired. I'm just saying that it's not likely and assuming he won't be. If I had control over Bob's money, I would pay two staff's in a heartbeat if it meant a new HC. But it ain't my money...

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This isn't babseball; we're not competing against the New York Yankees. They operate under a salary cap.

First of all, that's speculation on our part - he may actually not only be willing but wanting to do it - we have no idea.

IMO, there's nothing inherently wrong with not wanting to pay two coaches, especially if neither one is able to actually coach your team. That's practical, not cheap. Do you honestly think the Rooneys in Pittsburgh would bite that bullet?

But I can't think of a situation in which he's scrimped on finances. Again, I would love examples.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not this past off-season. They definitely didn't take advantage of the uncapped year.

Not saying our payroll isn't huge. Just saying that they could have spent money somewhere. Maybe the secondary :confused:

6. ThaShark316_28

On who? I wish it was some players to go and get.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If McNair doesn't fire Kubiak, there will be a large amount of pent up anger against the Texans franchise for supporting mediocrity. Next season when the swoon happens, fans will bail on this team faster than you can shake a stick at and it will be very ugly. McNair won't be spared and will witness a side of Houston fans he doesn't want to see.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe the positive from this and something that helps the team next season is that NOT ONE prognosticator is going to pick the Texans for the 3rd straight season as that "ready to break out" team. No way they get burned again.

9. Major

Major Member

Sorry - to clarify, I wasn't referring to THIS season. I was saying if you change coaches, and it results in you improving and getting a home playoff game, that generates the revenue to pay for the move.

I agree those are necessary changes. But besides Kubiak, what teams do you see keeping coaches because of the lockout that they would otherwise fire?

Then so be it. Coaches do that all the time. Again, not making a move because you're scared things might get worse is the hallmark of terrible organizations - both in sports and otherwise. If you don't think Kubiak is the coach for your team, you should fire him. Period. At that point, you go out and try something different and hope it works. If it doesn't, then you continue your mediocrity. But sticking with mediocrity certainly isn't the solution.

I agree with the last sentence - that will happen the day Kubiak is fired. :)

I think we're also more on the same page than not. I'm not arguing that McNair WILL fire Kubiak - I really know very little about what he's thinking or how he operates. I'm simply arguing that if he doesn't, that's a sign of being misguided and/or running a bad organization.

10. Major

Major Member

After Belichick's first head coaching gig lasted 5 years - interestingly, very similar to Kubiak's, with his only winning season in year 4, although Belichick made the playoffs in that year. But after that, he didn't get another head coaching opportunity for 5 more years, when he took over the Patriots. But it's very possible he needed to get fired and go back to being a coordinator to become the Belichick we all know.

How often do you really see a coach be mediocre one place and then suddenly be great somewhere else after being let go?