1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

KRAUSE WANTS MING... anything else is a smoke screen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

All that stuff about Krause wanting Jay W is just a bunch of BS. TO top it off if we take ming he intends to make sure we don't get Odom as well.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/

Krause sees no reason to return to China

By Mike McGraw Daily Herald Sports Writer
    Posted on June 06, 2002

While the Houston Rockets are preparing to send a delegation to China in the near future, Bulls general manager Jerry Krause believes his work is already complete when it comes to laying the groundwork for Yao Ming's jump to the NBA. The Rockets have the No. 1 pick in the June 26 NBA draft and are expected to select the 7-foot-6 Chinese center. But if Houston decides to pass on Yao, the Bulls are next in line with the No. 2 pick.

Krause made a 10-day visit to China last winter and also spent a day with Yao and his representatives when they visited the Berto Center on May 2, the day after Yao's open workout at Loyola.
    "We feel very confident about our ability to sign Yao," Krause said on the first day of the NBA's predraft camp at Moody Bible Institute. "I've been to China and been with (Shanghai Sharks GM) Li Yaomin and spent time with those people and spent time with the coach. So I don't think there is any reason for us to go (back). We've done our homework on that one."

GM Carroll Dawson and coach Rudy Tomjanovich would be part of a Rockets contingent that hopes to travel to China soon.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Nothing would make me happier than for the NBA to strip the Bulls of their draft pick for tampering with Yao, if that's what Krause did. Ain't it curious that the Sharks managers Krause visited have since been giving the Rockets a hard time and talking about Yao playing in Chicago.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Will...does the NBA have the power to do that? I mean, it seems obvious to me that something fishy has been going on.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

They certainly stuck it to Minnesota.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They could do that, but the problem is that the NBA would probably prefer Ming in Chicago.

DaDakota

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

After Game 6, if Ming somehow lands up in Chicago or NY, whether deserved or not - rumors will explode on the big city conspiracies and legitimacy of the league.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I believe Mick Jagger has the final word on this...

"You can't always get what you want"

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

They also seriously considered doing it to the Cleveland Cavaliers over the Lebron James thing. Boy what I wouldn't do for a huge boot and for Krause to bend over. . .

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You know, that could be what's going on. I have the Chicago Tribune, that self-same article, and I honestly believe that all the rumors we heard from Troy Baros and ROCKET!!! might point in this direction.

Elgin Baylor and Jerry Krause have apparently been holding talks in Chicago. Hmn.

I am beginning to think Krause really wants Ming. If so, the Bulls and the Rockets are playing this beautifully, as best they can. And, if so, we'd better extract everything we can from a trade.

If we trade, that is.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The only question I ask is ...

Why does a team with 2 19 yr old 7 footers want Yao Ming so badly?

Are Chandler and Curry that bad? Is Ming that good? To me, it would seem to make mch more basketball sense for the Bulls to take Williams (assuming he isnt taken 1st). It's gotta be a reverse smoke screen.

Im sooooooooooooo confused :confused:

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The question begs whether or not the Bulls have anything the Rockets want in a trade. If the Rocks are sold on Curry's future, they might think about a Curry plus #2 pick for the #1 pick trade. Even if Curry never becomes anymore than a 15 ppg, 10 rpg man, this trade would be interesting.

After the Brand trade, I would say anything is possible with Bulls wrt trading players and picks.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

The Bulls better give us the ****!ng farm for the #1!!

'As the 2002 NBA draft turns' will continue in a moment......

13. Possum

Possum Member

Why do you say this? I did not see any mention of Odom in the article. :confused:

14. Old Man Rock

You don't make a ten day trip to China in hopes that 6 months down the road people will believe you want to draft Ming when in fact you want Jay W. He has done everything legal and probably a feww illegal things to insure he gets Ming and now it's all falling apart and he knows it.

15. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

... Or the CHI/DAL trade rumors were true.

China has already seen how well Dallas has treated Wang and officials in China. They wouldn't mind Ming joining a playoff ready group from the international house of cupcakes.

Dallas thinks he is the low post presence they need. (Combining him with Bradley is nasty)

Chicago thinks Finley, LaFrentz, and perks will really solidify their team.

All three groups are scheming to convince the Rockets to either take JayDub, or trade the pick to Chicago.

IT'S A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY AGAINST US!

16. Old Man Rock

I read on espn insider that if Krause doesn't get Ming he will trade the number 2 pick for Odom and the 8th pick.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

For some reason, that just made my day!

18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I don't get why krause would make this trade. Isn't jalen rose the exact same player as odom? For goodness sakes jerry, just pick jwill.

19. Darth West

Darth West Member

Sounds weird ... where is Rose ending up then?

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think Krause wants Crawford at the 1, Rose at the 2, and Odom at the 3. Doesn't surprise me much. I believe Krause has always prefered having a big guard lineup and Williams is only 6'2.