1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe will only receive $10.6 mill of his $24 mil contract due to taxes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Dec 16, 2013.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

http://collapse.com/james-daniels/2013/11/01/id893.htm?utm_source=Outbrain

"This reality may be why fellow NBA star Dwight Howard left Bryant’s Lakers this year. According to Forbes, Howard, who accepted a lower contract value to sign with the Houston Rockets, will actually make more money than he would have by taking the much higher amount offered by L.A. That’s because, while California has the mentioned tax of 13.3 percent, Texas has none.

Some speculate Jeremy Lin did the same, leaving the Knicks for Houston due to New York’s high taxes."

Rockets fans in particular, and fans of Texas teams in general have been saying this for years. Many argue that it is a huge benefit to play/live in Texas. Some argue that it doesn't really matter because they will make all that back in endorsements and other business opportunities if they live in more glamorous cities. Economically sound players would definitely be able to take advantage of their environment. When I read the break down of Kobe's situation it made me go :eek:

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Started a new thread here because it briefly mentioned D12 and J. Lin. Please lock if posted already.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Still counts against their cap.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who said it doesnt

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

He'll yeah it does! And it brings me great satisfaction knowing that everything Lakers gets screwed!

5. Raven

Raven Member

I'm not feeling sorry for a guy hauling in 10.6 million, especially if he gets to live in LA. Honestly, if I were a rich athlete, I'd happily pay higher taxes to live in CA.

6. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

There's a reason why Texas has to have low taxes to get people to live here.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Lin left the Knicks? That's news to me...

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For about the 500th time - NBA players don't get paid the way this idiot thinks - they get game checks which are taxed depending on where the game is played. I don't know if Kobe's lump sum is affected by this but it could probably be structured to minimize this. There's also the small matter of deductibility of state taxes, AMT - it's all a ****load more complicated than just multiplying Kobe's income by 39 and 13 and deducting it from his headline earnings - and he pays people to figure this out for him.

I should have known this was garbage when I saw the other topics this genius writes about - like the "dollar collapse"

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This. And also Jeremy Lin had no "NY vs. Houston" choice. He had to go out there and get a contract from a team and NY had to choose whether to match.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I bet Dolan couldn't match due to crushing NY state taxes.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Kobe actually is one of the few players to receive lump sums...

12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Taxes has nothing to do with the team tho.

13. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

While Texas and Florida teams do share a nice advantage when it comes to taxes, this article over-simplifies things. You need to take the "Jock Tax" into account here.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this is why i'm glad i don't make 24 million a year.

15. makio9

makio9 Member

Not sure why NBA players care so much about money to be honest...it's not like they're ever around to enjoy it. I guess after 40 they get to put more than 10 miles on their beloved set of wheels

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

lol breitbrat being the source... apparently they don't know what a marginal tax rate is

17. makio9

makio9 Member

In the meantime, their wives get to bang in mansions behind their backs.

Is that not appropriate for here. Sorry. Please don't ban.

P.S is there really a thing called "Jock Tax"? Just how much is a set of underwear in the States.

18. 5KR4TCH

5KR4TCH Contributing Member

Wait so rockets traded for Kobe....why?

Oh wait they didn't? Damn I ended up in nba dish. Something's wrong with the site someone notify a mod, admin or Morley ? Murray ? I'm lost just help someone. Thanks.

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Kobe is a consummate professional, I hope he retires a Rocket.

1 person likes this.
  20. SugarLandDream8

Most people making decent money like 200,000ish in a big city with a state sales tax will pay 50% or a little more for taxes. If he wanted to pay less taxes he should have come to a state like Texas.