1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe vs. Childs TKO

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DREAMer, Apr 3, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Well, okay no one knocked anyone out, but Kobe Bryant and Chris Childs did get into it in tonight's game.

I am not a big Kobe fan, but I for one think tossing him was a poor decision by the refs. Childs was in Kobe's face for a while before punches were thrown, and the refs didn't come in to break it up. In fact no refs got to the pair until after a head butt by Childs, which spurred an elbow by Kobe, then TWO punches by Childs. Geez, you think the NBA could get some faster refs.

Oh well, I hope Childs if fined and suspended, but if Kobe is, then he should've just jacked him up instead of keeping his cool. I think that's the message the NBA sends to Kobe if they suspend him, because I feel he was very restrained, considering the situation.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

he threw punches. end of story. don't go helping out the lakers anymore than the refs already do.

I was kind of shocked too though that the refs/teammates weren't there forever. It just goes to prove mantronix was right. It's all a sham. Vince McMahon runs the NBA.

------------------

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The head-butt was just a variation of chest-bumping. The first blow was Kobe's elbow to the mouth. In the who-threw-the-first-punch analysis, I think Kobe gets the blame (though Childs did a fantastic job of provoking him). But in the end, Achebe's right: you throw a punch, you're suspended. And they both certainly threw punches.

------------------

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Juan,

"The head-butt was just a variation of chest-bumping."

What a CROCK!

If I head butted you instead of chest bumping you, you'd know it. Child purposely head-butted Bryant, and that is chicken sh*t. And I don't like chicken sh*t.

Kobe fore-armed Childs after the head-butt, which was a reaction. And, Childs threw and landed two punches.

---------------------------

Achebe,

I'm definitely not about "helping" the Lakers. But, I don't like dirty play. I don't like J.R. Reid, Charles Oakley, Jalen Rose, Dennis Rodman, Bill Lambeer, etc. And, I am not a fan of Kobe's, but if you take away the 'names' and just look at what happened objectively, then the New York player initiated the contact and escalated the confrontation.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited April 03, 2000).]

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I just heard on ESPN that Kobe was fined $5,000, 1 game suspension to Childs $15,000, 3 (I think 3) game suspension.

Kobe was fined $5,000 and suspended for one game for getting hit. Seems pretty sorry to me to get a punishment like that for getting popped twice.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, but it had been escalating all day. I see flashes of Stockton in Kobe in the way he sets screens, and in the way he rubs off screens.

I just wonder if we'd all rush to Stockton's defense if he was in Kobe's position. Probably not.

The fact of the matter is that Kobe threw a punch and an elbow. Suspension no matter if they landed. I guess the punishments are fine, but I bet they'd be equal if it wasn't Kobe.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only NBA (sorry for any confusion regarding my earlier signature, I do realize that the Braves and Stars are both mentioned in the national anthem) team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I don't disagree with the punishment at all. Childs instigated it, add the head butt and the punches he threw, wherever he may have landed them, and he deserves what he got.

Kobe, too, deserves what he got. He threw the elbow, reactionary or not. I think he threw a wild punch at Childs too.

Awww hell, bar both from the league forever. I can't stand either one of them!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The head-butt was a very minor thing. I just watched the thing again on ESPNet. He kind of swings his face at Kobe and doesn't hit him. It was meant to incite and not to injure -- like the elbow, the two punches and the counter-punch all were. Certainly Childs instigated the fight but Kobe threw the first punch. I think they should have gotten equal punishment. However, I'm ok with it because Childs was suspended for two games against bad teams, while Kobe will not play against Phoenix. Also, with his big contract, Kobe will end up losing more absolute dollars than Childs with the suspensions. Ha, ha!

------------------

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Juan --

I like the way you think. Did Phil Jack-ass have anything interesting to say about the incident?

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Honestly Jaun, the entire "fight" was weak....the headbutt, the elbow, the punches, etc. Nobody was hurt, other than their egos. Ridiculous if you ask me. Most NBA fights are weak however. I haven't seen a good one since our 86 Rockets took on the Celtics.....those were the days. The benches cleared and the haymakers were-a-flyin'.

Today, we have Mourning and LJ (who used to be an amatuer golden gloves boxer in Dallas) throwing windmills through the air, three feet from each others heads, with Jeff Van Gundy hugging Zo's leg and being dragged about like a baby's blanket.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!