1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe names top 5 players in his era, including...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Drexler is a strange inclusion. He was well past his prime by the time Kobe entered the league.

Its like Kobe didn't want to show respect to other guards that he faced (except, of course, Michael Jordan)?

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

No Shaq, haha!

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hakeem and Clyde weren't even in Kobe's "era". wtf.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As flattering as it is, are Hakeem, MJ, and Clyde really considered in "his era"...

I'd say in Kobe era (I'd say that is 99 - 2013)

1. Lebron
    2. Duncan
    3. Shaq (only player on this list that was dominant in both eras FYI)
    4. Durant
    5. Dirk

Honorable mentions -

Nash, Kidd, Garnett, McGrady, Iverson, Paul Pierce?....

If you add in Kobe to the top 5 list of that era I think him and Lebron are 1 & 1A. Ultimately Lebron is the better player though so I'd have to put Kobe at #2 though even though Kobe's accomplishments put him right there with him.

6. durvasa

I'd put Garnett ahead of Durant and Nowitzki. And Chris Paul should get honorable mention, even if he never got to the Finals.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Clyde.... showing love for the SG's

Too bad more than half those players aren't his era, maybe he meant who he faced.

He's also clearly disrespecting Duncan and Shaq

FIFY

He's been very close though ;)
    #clutchcity

8. durvasa

Yeah, I think you're right that Kobe was mentioning players that he was most excited to play against and who's game he really respected. Jordan and Drexler because they were the guys he probably grew up watching and idolized to some extent. Hakeem because Hakeem was awesome. And then you have LeBron and Durant who are the best offensive talents in the last 8 years that Kobe may have matched up against.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno... if we are talking about overall "best" I have a really hard time leaving off Durant. I mean what a freaking talent, and had he not been playing in the Lebron era the years prior to the foot injuries it would be no question MVP seasons. Durant is a talent that we haven't seen in maybe ever.

Now from a resume standpoint, and taking into account defense, yeah Garnett has a bone to pick.

Oh, and CP3... yeah I'd say between him, Kidd, and Nash... I'd put them all on the list as far as talent goes but he's not nowhere near the accomplishments though. Talent wise, the guy is right there. Pure basketball instincts are right there with the all time greats.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Kobe said it then it's fact. KB8 er 24 has commanded the narrative.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

I hate how forgotten Clyde is. I think it has to do with his style. He was very old school and a great gentleman. He didn't have any of that "swag." He was the same as a young man as he is today as an older man. Also the balding head didn't help his appearance. Fans of today have something against players who wore short shorts and had dad hairs back in the day. Old school white players get it the worst from fans of today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WR5DCIZTkpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

SG respect SG.

Clyde was leaving the league just as Kobe was entering. How strange.

No Shaq, Duncan or even AI, T-Mac, KG, etc.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Spiteful until the end. Refusing to name Duncan, Shaq, etc... instead he names people he's never played against at a high level along with his fellow Nike employees.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, he is not top 5 player. Let be real.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I remember talk in the first meeting of Chicago vs Portland, people were skeptical of CHI's ability to repeat, not really sold on Pippen that much, and Cartwright/Grant would have serious trouble with Portland front-line depth...and Drexler, Porter and Ainge would offset CHI's backcourt, despite MJ. Drexler scored over 25 ppg on a very deep team, after all.

Fans (me included) saw the depth of Portland and said Drexler was going to be able to come close to matching MJ's points, and make it difficult for CHI to prevail. People said Drexler was a better shooter, more range -- MJ rarely shot threes and not at a good clip. Drexler was getting a LOT of respect. So much respect, that it appears to have pissed off Jordan, who walked out onto the court of the 1st game and mad 5 three-pointers in the 1st quarter...and Chicago destroyed them by more than 30 pts.

The famous Jordan shrug meme is from after he hit his 5th three in that game.

[​IMG]

Drexler, however unfairly so, was just hugely overshadowed by MJ after that. And after their 2nd loss in a row to CHI in the Finals, Drexler seemed to have become deflated, with two of his worst years of his career following, only to be revived by his reunitement with Dream. And we don't beat Utah, PHO and SAS three sets in a row without him, because he was faced against three slow white guys in a row -- Hornachek, Ainge and Del Negro ... LOLs

#15 heypartner, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

As I recall he was only a 28% 3 point shooter that year right? That made it all the more memorable.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why didn't he name Dr.J?

18. Asian Sensation

I don't think he's forgotten at all. He was basically on the same level as MJ until their showdown in 92 and Jordan showed that he was the superior player. Even then I think Drexler is a top 5 SG all time. If you want to talk about forgotten it's definitely Mitch Richmond. He completely flew under the radar.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Mitch was fun to watch and one of my favorite players but he's nowhere near the stratum of Drexler, much less Jordan.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Forgotten by fans of today.