1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Oct 9, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California - LA Times

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Friday that lowers from a felony to a misdemeanor the crime of knowingly exposing a sexual partner to HIV without disclosing the infection.
    The measure also applies to those who give blood without telling the blood bank that they are HIV-positive.
    Modern medicine allows those with HIV to live longer lives and nearly eliminates the possibility of transmission, according to state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and Assemblyman Todd Gloria (D-San Diego), authors of the bill.
    “Today California took a major step toward treating HIV as a public health issue, instead of treating people living with HIV as criminals,” Wiener said in a statement. “HIV should be treated like all other serious infectious diseases, and that’s what SB 239 does.”
    Supporters of the change said the current law requires an intent to transmit HIV to justify a felony, but others noted cases have been prosecuted where there was no physical contact, so there was an argument intent was lacking.
    Brown declined to comment on his action.
    HIV has been the only communicable disease for which exposure is a felony under California law. The current law, Wiener argued, may convince people not to be tested for HIV, because without a test they cannot be charged with a felony if they expose a partner to the infection.
    “We are going to end new HIV infections, and we will do so not by threatening people with state prison time, but rather by getting people to test and providing them access to care,” Wiener said.
    Supporters of the bill said women engaging in prostitution are disproportionately targeted with criminal charges, even in cases where the infection is not transmitted.
    Republican lawmakers including Sen. Joel Anderson of Alpine voted against the bill, arguing it puts the public at risk.
    “I’m of the mind that if you purposefully inflict another with a disease that alters their lifestyle the rest of their life, puts them on a regimen of medications to maintain any kind of normalcy, it should be a felony,” Anderson said during the floor debate. “It’s absolutely crazy to me that we should go light on this.”
    Anderson said the answer could be to extend tougher penalties to those who expose others to other infectious diseases.

2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There's no reason for that.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is terrible. Hiv Doesnt just attack the immune system but nearly every system. They are only leaning that it infects a wide variety of tissues because people are living longer. But even if infected and not developing aids they are still developing other illnesses as the virus invades other tissue all over the body. Liver brain heart. The fact that it infects so many cells is why it is incurable.

This is a mistake.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This should be a felony. No question about it.

Like companies and businesses knowingly contaminating the public's drinking water, the repeal of the Clean Water Act by Trump and Republicans. Both sound like irresponsible things to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eek-to-rescind-clean-water-rule-idUSKBN19I2L0

Some laws are there to protect the public. Too much discretion on people and businesses to act on "good faith". People and businesses act on self interest. In this case, having sex or making a profit.

malakas likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, sounds like something California would do, of course it's stupid.

Reading stories about the government of California is similar to reading stories about "Florida man", you don't know what happened, but you know it's going to be embarrassing.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

So, knowingly harming other people is not a felony? Gotcha.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Stupid decision by California.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Seems like a good way to get a good HIV epidemic going again.

11. dmoneybangbang

Charlie Sheen law?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

so ****ing stupid

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

i think the key point is : this will save taxpayers tons of money of court's/legal fees but as always , cost will comes from other area , the health policy in place is not much worse than that .Globally , If someone tested positive for HIV/HBV-HCV,-HPV the hospital/clinic advise that person to disclose his/her condition to partner(s) while protecting the patient privacy , but there's no other alternative effective policy in protecting others . It is similar to how flu spreads from a person to many others without penalty for not taking precautionary measures

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Clear example of Hollywood morals and hypocrisy. Also the Weinstein silence. Bunch of fake ass punk ass hypocrit losers.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL! Something done on the state level is because of Hollywood? Ha! Stop trying to label something you are bitter about because of two things that kind of happened in the same state. Neither of those is representative of Hollywood in the slightest.

I don't agree with the ruling, but I don't think there is a large number of people were disclosing they were HIV positive only because the fear of criminal charges waiting to go out and be as promiscuous as possible without telling others.

I don't like the law but I don't think it will be a huge issue for most people.

16. adoo

adoo Member

clear eg of ur ignorance !

the most anti-Hollywood crowd, not from outside Calif, hails from SF/No Calif

think of the rivalry/competition/acrimony between Houston and Dallas, multiply that by 1,000

Gov Moon Child, Jerry Brown, is from No Calif, the arch rival of Hollywood values​

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

"LOL wot?"

Me killing people shouldn't be a felony because I dont think it will be a huge issue for most people. I could use this logic with nearly every argument out there.

How can pirating movies be more of a severe crime than intentionally infecting someone with a lifetime curse.

Its California so I am not surprise.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Liberal logic.

Dark Rhino, mick fry and ipaman like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This **** is attempted murder in my book
    wtf????

Rocket River

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said I'm opposed to changing the law. Intentionally infecting someone should be a felony, that's what I've said. It sounds like we agree on that. However, the number of people that have been wanting to use their HIV as a weapon against others but were held back because it was a felony is an incredibly small amount.