1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Know your traffic laws: I just got screwed because I didn't

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 9, 2019.

1. what

what Member

A long story short, if you tell the cop in an accident that you were changing lanes: you are giving the other party an automatic win.

The question really is: Were you changing lanes WHEN you got struck? It doesn't matter that 2 or 3 seconds before you got hit you were changing lanes. The question is in mili-seconds and if you don't know that (I didn't) you are screwed.

Also, trying to see all of the damage is imperative, but very difficult in the heat of the moment. But this lady, hit my back bumper and rode her car down my doors trying to pass me I assume, and I had taken, the lane. And she won the claim just based on the fact that I said I was changing lanes.

This is so frustrating to me, because being a good guy, sure I was changing lanes. And then the cop, who never looked at her car once comes up to me and says, tell me YOUR version of the story and writes me a ticket for an unsafe lane change, saying that he based this on the accident, which he didn't even inspect.

I almost doubt that if I had of told him that I was in the lane and was hit that he still would have given me a ticket, because he clearly seemed to have his mind made up just based on speaking to her.

Riz and Jontro like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

3. what

what Member

Well I hope that I don't have to worry about getting towed: not-paying-your-note problems. But I truly did get screwed in this case of an accident on my record, when this lady clearly ran over me trying to pass me after I'm in the lane, when her daughter in the car-seat no less.

4. Buck Turgidson

I think you cut her off and she had to do an emergency lane change.

King1, sammy, justtxyank and 3 others like this.
  5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You should’ve showed the cop your t***

Houstunna likes this.
  6. what

what Member

no problem

7. what

what Member

He was clearly against me. There was no doubt and he wrote that ticket to help her case, even though he was in no position to make that assessment.

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Yeah Marisnick should have been called safe.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You don't automatically have no fault because someone hits you from behind.

Lane-changing and backing-up assume much liability.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. what

what Member

Again: I wasn't lane changing when she hit me. I was IN the lane. But therein lies the problem, the moment you mention a lane change everyone assumes you are at fault.

If I signal to change lanes, and the lady sees my signal but is 10 feet behind me and as I'm changing she decides to speed up, I've seen plenty of times where a person will pass you up, with a quarter of a lane at their disposal and if I DIDN'T see them, I could have easily got into 10 accidents or more, almost an accident a day.

Don't act like this don't happen. I've been passed many times when the person has less than 2 feet and running by me. And this lady had the nerve to say: YOU DIDN'T SEE ME.

I know what this lady did, she didn't like that I was in front of her and tried to pull a Kevin Harvick on me and the sad thing is she won her case

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

So you did NOT signal ?!! I kid.

If you truly had no fault.. tough break.

12. what

what Member

I feel certain that she tried to pass me from behind, that she could have avoided the accident if she wasn't a lead-footed texas driver, who will cause a 142 car pileup on a foggy highway.

The only thing I'm unsure of was how far behind me she was when I was taking the lane. I do know that I was in the lane a good second before I got hit. When I checked the mirror I saw nobody, but there is a possibility she was in my blind spot.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

So you’re saying you didn’t cut her off...she just decided to ram you with her baby in the car bc she felt like it? No matter how much you try to rationalize it, that sounds ridiculous.

Houstunna and Nook like this.
  14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

As someone that was forced to slam on their brakes three times today by people forcing their way into my lane when I was partially beside them, I don't believe you.

Astrodome and Nook like this.
  15. what

what Member

Maybe you had to slam on your breaks because you think you own the road and 30 miles over the speed limit is normal and nobody should dare get in front of you, which is 95% of texans. But of course it could be the other driver.

When you see accidents in texas, at least half of them a car jumps the median and rolls, crushing the top of the car. But I'm sure they were just "unlucky." I wish I didn't have to drive in Houston everyday, to be honest, because I'm scared some yahoo is going to think they've got the right of way so let me light up his world.

16. Buck Turgidson

Probably lost control while swerving to avoid your dangerous lane changes.

jcf, King1, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  17. what

what Member

Maybe, but they were also probably going well over the speed limit. I know you are not defending Houston drivers: a state that had a 144 car pileup in a foggy condition. This state has a population of degenerate drivers.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Not really sure how you can get hit in the side from someone that's not switching lanes if you've already been in the lane for a second or more. You've already admitted she was possibly in your blind spot, sounds like you just don't want to accept it.

19. what

what Member

I'm not sure how you can hit somebody's bumper if you aren't behind them at some point. Again I was hit, I was not the hitter, I was the hittee. The only part of that woman's car that was hit was her right side bumper and the middle of her fender over her driver side wheel.

Again, she may have been in my blind spot, but she could have avoided this accident, she just decided she wanted to be in front of me, period. I don't know how hard that is to understand, given how texas drivers are.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Silly mIstake. You gotta know what's going on around you. Also when lane-changing, you gotta look for cars two lanes over who might changing into the same lane you're attempted to change.

People in general can't drive though. The main reason is selfishness, next stupidity.