1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knight Dropped, Strickland signed for 1 yr deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

The really, really tired looking guy, second from the left, is Yao of course.

2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

So when do we see John Starks suit up for the Rox?

I think the point about Mark Jackson is valid though. If we can get a few good games out of Strickland to spell Sura this might not be a bad thing. We don't need him playing 35 min. everygame. We don't need him playing 20 min. (knock on wood)

3. Nautic

Nautic Member

Strickland from Orlando.

Oh, another Magic.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

is it too late to make another witty joke about how old strickland and the team is? or is the third page far enough?

5. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

JVG & CD are destroying ROX deeply.
    ROX is going far away from NBA championship.

6. Nautic

Nautic Member

And I think we definately should try this guy:

Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant who, as a key player in BostonFrenzy, is putting up huge number night in and night out.

7. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

these old jokes are getting to be as old as the Rocket's bench !

:D

8. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

In all honesty, I'm sure we will see flashes of former glory much like we did with Mark Jackson, but i think we will end up with about the same result. If we are forced to rely on him for long minutes for any length of time, we will get burned. Anyone know the rule for 10 day contracts? Is it two consecutive 10 days and then you have to sign them for the year? It'll be interesting to see what happens with the trade deadline coming up and decision time for Strickland in close proximity.

9. Nautic

Nautic Member

No, no, that guy is too short and old to be a center. He must be a Rocket G uard.

10. Toast

Toast Member

Looked to me as if he was favoring his left ankle, not his right knee when he was hobbling.

11. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Now let's sign John Starks and we are set up 2. And why not suit up Ewing also, and resign Oakley?

I'd love to see a lineup of Strickland, Starks, Oakley, Ewing, and of course JVG. I will pay $500 to watch that game, I am serious!

12. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

lmao

the whining over everytime we sign a knick is getting old fast.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that we just signed a 38 year old point guard to BACK UP sura???

give me a break.

I'm having an e-party for easter, please come.

last line no relevance to the post.

#72 isoman2kx, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Exactly how is signing Rod Strickland as a backup destroy the Rockets deeply?

Because he played as well, if not better, in the minutes he got. Not to mention he costs a hell of alot less.

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Despite making only a one week appearance on the 1957 practice squad, former New York Knickerbockers, Pete "Smoothe" Johns and Johnny "Jello" Thomas have already been signed to 10-day contracts by the team. Rockets' GM Carol Dawson was quoted as saying, "any Knick will do in a pinch," while Houston coach Van Gundy says, "Anyone under 30 is a rookie in my book, so I expect some quality depth from these experienced players." Rockets guards Reece Gaines and Andre Barrett were given their outright release by the team.

In a related story, recent Houston ROcket's signees Johns and Thomas injured themselved in the first day of practice, leaving the already depleated rocket's bench with only 10 players for tomorrow night's game against the Magic

#74 Willis25, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  15. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

plus just to add to my previous b****ing

he played for the knicks over 17 years ago! (1988) and for only 2 seasons.

to my knowledge , JVG wasn't the coach until the 95-96 season

so what the hell's the whining about we signed a former knick for? lol

16. jherveymo

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If he can get the ball to Yao better than the rest of the guys then it really don't matter how old he is. What I'm worried about is his history of being a team cancer.

18. lalala902102001

Great. Finally we can play some up-tempo basketball.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im still waiting on the first witty joke. :rolleyes:

may I remind some of you that Deke is as old if not older...and you all were crying about him being picked up...now...who is our most valuable bench player this year again?

Im willing to wait and see if he can still play...even if it a fraction of his former skills....he used to be damn good.

20. jherveymo

I don't think his attitude will be much of a factor. How much ego can you bring when you're 38 and no team has picked you up by January? I'm sure he'll be happy to shut up and play, I just don't think there's much left in him.