1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knight Dropped, Strickland signed for 1 yr deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Toast

Toast Member

I dunno if it has more to do with Sura being hurt or our SGs not being able to hit jack ****.

Maybe the idea is to start Strickland + Sura in the back court, TMac + Howard + Yao in the front court.

After watching Wesley & Barry shoot bricks all night last night, I'm definitely okay with that. True PG plus a slashing SG ... then if we could only find a PF who could spell the word DEFENSE ...

2. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

Great! Now let's just hope we can lock him up for a couple more years!:D Man, Last night I was telling a friend how glad I was that hey had manged to pass on an old has-been for once. Unbeleivable. What next...Pig Miller?...Sedale Threatt? Ugh.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Can we just quit all these childish talk and wait to see him play first. Are we not adult here anymore? In a case like this, naive fans like you will better served deferring to the pros that are paid to make decisions like these.

Welcome aboard Rod.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

no way he gets a shot

... he didn't play for the Knicks ! ;)

5. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I think you are dreaming if you think Rod Strickland will solve ANY of our problems. If Sura stays healthy then Strickland gets zero mins.

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thats true. Listen up all the ballers out there. IF u want to play for the Houston Rockets all you need to have is 2 thing!

#1. You are over the age of 50

#2. You have some point in you life played for the NY Knicks

W/ these two things you are a shoe in to make the rosster. Just thought Id help alot of people out... :D

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, 38 years old. Can he shoot treys? Looked to be ok in Minny, played with Tmac last year in ORL?

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yes he did though Lue got most of the playing time.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Will another move be on the horizon?? MoTay maybe the next to be moved out. Is there a 38+ PF out there for Rockets:D

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

That's so wrong. I watched him a little bit when he was in Toronto. He was very good to great in the first couple of games, hitting shots, delivering assists. But then, it was downhills. I just think he didn't have any legs left. 38? That's just too old. With T-Mac and Yao in team, a quality PG is even more important than a bruise PF. But how come we can only have those not only over the hump, but much further down than over the hump?

11. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, isn't Strickland known for a history of not being quite in shape. It seems like I read one time that his pregame meal consisted of chili dogs & pizza, which he would later just expel into a bench towel during gametime.

I'm not sure what impact Strickland would have on this team (if any), but his assist-making prowess is unquestioned. I'm just wondering if he's going to be able to keep his stamina up to par over the course of the season. I suppose we will see, but I wouldn't expect Strickland to provide more than a few minutes worth of any substance at this stage in his career.

<i>-Turbo</i>

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Uncle Robbinson , I can think of.

13. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am sooooooo not excited. Expanding the JVG Retirement Home for Old Knicks will do so little for this team. I wonder if the NBA will allow players to use walkers. They approve braces, why not walkers. How about Depends? Let's be realistic, as the aging Rockets get older, these are serious questions.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

No Aroyo anymore?

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Same here. Boy, we might be able to put up a couple of exciting games. But with a bunch of 35+ year olds, how can we bring it every night. Shooting has to do with stamina.

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Somebody has to stop JVG. We are building the oldest team in NBA history.

18. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

Childish? Naive? Have you seen him play the last three or four years? He has been in steep decline for quite a while now. I guess according to you, we should just shut the board down until after the season and then solemnly discuss the results. Having a little fun celebrating/lamenting the state of the team is what most of us come here for, anyway. Since Strickland's now on the team, I wish him well. I will be very happy if he helps significantly, but I just don't believe that he can at this stage of his career. I would love to have had him four or five years ago. Hopefully he is just here for a ten-day or two to rest Sura.

19. munco

munco Member

I actually think is a pretty good move. Rod Strickland is one of those players that just knows how to play basketball and has a natural feel for the game that other players don't. I think Chris Webber is another player like this where Webber has lost his athleticism but his pure basketball skills still allow him to be a 20/10 guy ever year.

I agree that his age won't make him a huge contributor, but I still feel that he can probably finish and get to the hoop better than many of the backup point guards in the league. In his prime he was known as the best PG at finishing in the lane.

20. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

That's real encouraging. We sign a player that came get off the bench for a player we just traded away... :rolleyes: