1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's nice that Carmelo Anthony got 600+ pages, but DMO has 400 of his own.

s3ts and Stormy1234 like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Gerald Green is a black hole on offense but he fits in the role they need him to play. I think Melo could have been useful here in Houston and it’s not like Ryno has been a world beater this year, but the role he’d play would have been the big question.

I see him doing a lot of what Joe Johnson is doing now off the bench with some post ups to give some diversity to their offense. It’s just that we have JJ and Gerald Green on minimum contracts and they are bought into their roles.

It is sad though to see both him and Dirk especially this year get old quick. It seems like it takes one offseason in your 30’s when you randomly lose your legs forever. Melo can still play in the league but he needs to change his game real quick. He would have been forced to do so here in Houston, and we'd be pretty upset about a 30 million dollar bench player NEXT year.

Morey did good by not paying an arm and a leg to trade for him this summer.

da_juice, D-rock, Vivi and 4 others like this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Melo is still trying to take hero shots like he's the best player on the team. Those bricked 3s down the stretch against the Blazers today were brutal. He still hasn't changed playing with 2 better players. Remember when he was icing Kristaps last year because he always wanted to be the hero. He's delusional.

bj3175, Patience, da_juice and 4 others like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Pulls up for two straight 3's here

Vivi and s3ts like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I still think Westbrook makes his teammates suck outside of Adams.

You can't tell me Paul George is as bad as he's playing in OKC. I think Melo should come off the bench and if he did on this team he and CP3 would wreck teams.

J Sizzle, bj3175, da_juice and 2 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Season began with Burt Steele, various Melo rumors and it ended without Melo, with the team balling. It ended fabulously.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I agree with your assessment that Russ makes his teammates worse, but George has been fantastic...

bj3175 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Always a great day when this thread is bumped. :D

What yard line are we at? Still at the 2-yard line? Still haven't punched that SOB in yet?

[​IMG]

Baqui99, Zboy, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You got a good point comparing him with Joe Johnson's role. Melo could be a rich man's JJ IF he is willing to play that role. I doubt that he would. His ego is too big for that. He is still a starter at OKC. But he pretty much is relegated to that kind of role and it is not worth the price the Knicks were asking.

Anderson has regressed and somehow lost his confidence. Losing confidence is a big no no for a shooter. Otherwise, he could have fit pretty well.

Patience and da_juice like this.
  10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think Melo is worse because he trusted a bad leader that enabled his bad character. I am glad he is not on this team although I did support trading Ryno. If it works out this summer we stand to get much better, an impossibility with Melo on the team. I look forward to that tradeoff. Hopefully Ryno contributes just enough to leave a good lasting impression and not a what might have been once he's gone.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would've taken melo as an overpaid upgrade to an overpaid player who disappeared last year. He could still give options but like others have said, he hasn't felt the need to change his game to fit and uplift others

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cancerelo is someone else's problem.

DD

mikol13 and Rodman23 like this.
  13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Not to mention JJ is a much better and more willing passer. He is good at recognizing the double and finding the open shooter. Melo would probably see post ups primarily as an opportunity to take his highly inefficient mid-range jump shot. Empty possessions that would probably be very reminiscent of Dwight Howard post ups.

bj3175, Easy and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not what it was. If it were Ryno for Melo straight up, Morey would have pulled the trigger already. Nobody is claiming that Ryan Anderson is a better player (or better value fro that matter) than Melo. Who is a better fit is up for debate though a lot of people would agree that Melo is an upgrade to Ryno. BUT, that's not what the Knicks asked for. Rumor had it that they wanted Ryno PLUS either Gordon or Capela. Gordon and Capela were what they were really after. Anderson was kind of a throw in contract to match the salaries. I am glad that Morey didn't bite.

bj3175 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Wasn't the narrative that the Ryno+filler deal was Morey's final offer?

I'm not sure if NY would've kept Melo at season open but the pressure and leverage (Melo's ntc) seemed real.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. "filler" means nothing significant like Gordon or Capela, even Ariza. So basically Morey was willing to trade Ryno for Melo straight up, nothing more. At that time, I was for the straight up trade, not because I thought Melo was an upgrade but because it would get rid of Ryno's contract. That was probably Morey's thinking too.

17. Invisible Fan

Yeah, Melo has one less year on Ryno. I thought they both expire next year.

Holy crap...

Easy likes this.
  18. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

As much as Ryno underperformed he is still a much better fit than Melo.

mikol13 and Patience like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The guy who has put together a team with a franchise record 60 wins (and counting) wanted him so i'm going to trust that Melo would have made us even better.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Melo is getting worse by the age and probably would have opted in here. Bullet dodged.

mikol13 likes this.