1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

It's a business decision. Are players not allowed to look out for themselves and do what's best for them? You want to tell me that you wouldn't opt in to that 28 mil if u were a 34 yo Melo and barely any teams would have cap space? The fact that OKC isn't gonna try to win is the exact reason why they would do a buyout...

There would be zero reason to just keep him around. Keep an unhappy Melo and pay him 28 mil while you're trying to lose or buyout an unhappy Melo for 20 mil, u tell me which one makes the most sense.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think so. A lot of teams will try and grab him. Considering what Paul George was had for, you're not looking to give up much, but again, just like Melo, we'd have to give up just a little more than we're actually able to.

We should not start throwing the idea that we can get Boogie now. It's pretty unlikely. I see no reason why New Orleans would want Capela, and even if they did he's on a rookie contract. So Ryno would still be a piece we would want to move unless we're talking about trading key pieces in mid season that we weren't willing to move pre season.

A lot can change during the season, but all season long the fact will still remain that we have no 1st rounder to trade next year, and not too many players we're willing to part with.

Let's just expect to have this roster all season long, with the exception of minor tweaks. I'm almost at the point of being ok with that. The hurt from Melo has lessened.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is a business decision! And players should look out for themselves! But it seems to me that if I was just paid $28 mil last year that money would drop on the importance list and things like loyalty would move up.

As a point of reference, if a person makes $100k a year starting at age 25 every year thru retirement at age 65, they earned $4 million over their lifetime. At that level it would take my entire working career, my wife's entire working career, my dad's entire working career, my mother's entire working career, and two children's entire working careers to approximately equal to what Melo was paid just last year. And that doesn't take into account the time value of money.

At some point money becomes less important. Maybe it is the liberal in me, but I'd like to think that job satisfaction, time with my family, repaying those who helped me and general altruism would take over from earning a check. But then again, you have to feed your family. Who was that? Latrell Sprewell?

4. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

I said it in my next post, they could trade his 28M expiring contract for picks and young talents. Tons of teams need cap space right now. 28M means they will be able to afford a super star next summer

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melo still has his NTC, and no team is giving up picks and young talent for an expiring, 34 yo Melo.

6. RockWest

Oh and business decision and douche move are not mutually exclusive. A dude could be planning to live with gf's best friend, but choose to marry the gf first, a week later ask for a divorce and half of her wealth, then live with the gf's best friend. You can call it whatever, it's a douche move

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

That's what you're gonna compare to Melo opting in to 28 mil at 34 years old when barely any teams will have cap space? It's called taking care of himself and making the best decision. That's not a douche move, it would be a smart move. The ability to opt in is a part of his contract, and exercising that right doesn't make it some douche move.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Most athletes are done with their careers by the time they reach 40. They have a short shelf life, and most will try and make as much money as they possibly can. Melo opting out of 28 mil at his age and with the market being so dry is not an easy decision.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

it doesn't matter anyways, my initial post was made before it was known that Russ had signed his extension

still, keep an eye on Boogie if the Pelicans are having a bad season

10. RockWest

I agree it's within his rights to opt in and then ask for a trade. But if he did it to Rockets wouldnt you be pissed? He want to take our money to play for someone else. Tie up our cap space and take vet minimum on another team. At least be classy like CP3.

11. RockWest

Yeah it doesn't matter anymore. This thread need to retire

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

BUMP

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

At the end of the day business move o
    Up yours!

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Does anyone think of a Carmel Chocolate candy bar when they hear Carmelo?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yes. I was a fan of the candy before I was a fan of the game.

Caramelos!

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  17. Rochut

Rochut Member

Anthony Davis in a heartbeat!!

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys are falling for Stephen A's bullshit. Our roster is championship ready right now, no changes necessary Star whores.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

remember when most people in this thread thought we were going to get Melo by just giving up Ryno?;)

amaru likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were right. It was Ryno or no deal.

Morey stuck to his guns.

Pen15clubber likes this.