1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Why are folks still posting here?

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Was wondering the same. This thread jumped the shark awhile ago but for some reason its hard to stay away from it.

Sort of like watching reruns of Happy Days. @KingCheetah

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

shut it down please? Tired of the title already

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Because the Melo trade to OKC is fake news. Melo to Houston is a done deal. Announcement coming on Media Day.

-Burte Steele
    Jopat
    Potato Head
    Pounder
    ect........

J.R. likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've got a good feeling about this brehs!

B-Bob and J.R. like this.
  6. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

When thinking about it, Melo should have said he'd only accept a deal to Cleveland then added Houston at the last minute. Then the Knicks would have taken Ryno.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

How can you blame Melo? Melo waited till the last possible minute. Morey had 3 months to get it done. For 3 months he had the exclusive window to trade for Melo. Everyone knows the longer it took, the more risky the situation become. He took a gamble and lost and it was a very costly mistake. You literally couldn't ask for a better situation but somehow he messed up.

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Our pieces are just unattractive. Capela is the only positive asset we have but he's about to get paid which lowers his value. Gordon is useless for rebuilding teams. We don't have draft picks. We don't have cap room. All we have is a bunch of veterans and long contracts. This is why Melo was so important. I just don't see how he can turn this around.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Morey didn't have 3 months to do anything. There was no time frame to this that anyone was working towards.

You're assuming 3 months ago, Melo said to Morey "Hey Daryl, I'll give you 3 months to get me to Houston. If after this specific day you have failed to do that, then I will go to another team"

No one was expecting Melo to fold like a house of cards so quickly when training camp was right around the corner.

The Knicks had no leverage, Morey and Melo held ALL the leverage due to the NTC. Due to Morey being as smart as he is, he did what every single other smart GM would do, and didn't overpay for someone who only wanted to be here, because it was only a matter of time.

If Melo was to this day holding firm, how long do you think it would take the Knicks to finally agree to get him to Houston for Morey's original offer? Or do you legitimately think the Knicks would hold him through the season? I can tell you as an almost certainty that by how quickly they accepted a sh*t offer to get him out of town, it would not have taken long.

So how do you not blame Melo exactly?

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think you have mistaken my point. I didn't say there was a time frame. What I meant was, from the point Melo demanded a trade to us, to the point he changed his mind, Morey had about 3 months of exclusive window to trade for Melo. And he couldn't get it done.

No was expecting Melo to fold? Really? I think a couple of posters here have warned about the possibility of Melo expanding his lists. Melo wanted to get out of New York ASAP and he got desperate. The longer you wait the more likely Melo changes his mind. Playing hardball always comes with risk. It's not rocket science.

I have no problem with Morey trying to unload Ryan Anderson. But when it became clear that the Knicks were not gonna take Ryan Anderson. And you know their plan was to get Melo to expand his list. Why didn't he push harder for a trade? There's no doubt in my mind if Morey had upped his offer in, say, late August, we would've gotten him.

And how can you blame Melo? He wanted out of New York and made a decision that was best for himself. He didn't owe anything to Houston.

12. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Just lock ip the thread, jeez

13. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

Common guys.. i think it is time to get it over with. Whatever happens, happens for good reason..
    It is already done and over.. lets just see what happens in the season and enjoy

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. Downtown Sniper

Morey could have gotten the offer done in that exclusive window you mention, if he wanted to pay overs for someone who didn't want a part of 29 other teams in the league. You're not focusing on that aspect of this, because if you do than it sort of softens the blow as to why Morey did what he did.

It'll be a long drawn out debate well into the future as to whether Morey was too smart for his own good in this instance, I will agree with that.

But I do not think he should have played this any other way.

This thread has gone on long enough though, definitely time for it to be forgotten about.

Let's all just remember we had a great off season regardless, and solidified one of our main issues with bringing in Luc and PJ... and added Chris Paul! That fact alone cutting down on Harden's handling at the end of games and drastically reducing turnovers at crucial times will make this team much, much better than last season.

Daddy Long Legs and bawanyh like this.
  15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We will give okc a klutch QT syle beatdown bro

Tha_Dude, bawanyh and Downtown Sniper like this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

I just lost it at my work desk.

PeterKingX and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  17. Pete the Cheat

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Westbrook + Paul George + Melo + Wade

Guess Lebron James decision next season?

WOW.....

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lakers with Paul George

20. rockets13champs

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.