1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay Thompson injury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Bump on ACL Surgery
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-successful-knee-surgery-to-repair-acl-injury

Now i just bump this because the projected return is After the allstar break or near March middle. So that gives him month to get full stride back into the playoffs. What exactly is gs going to look like once he back on full cylinders and Russel/Curry/Draymond are jelling and winning games?

Just dont know about this team, still could very much be in the mix with Clippers. I just think this year if people are saying rockets vs clippers, its not going to be that easy to pencil in them for the west finals this year, all cal teams are right there in the mix..

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Everyone has been harping on this site to see Curry carry a team for years and if he could do it or not like Harden. Even though Russel Is there now Curry will have some heavy lifting to do without Durant and Thompson. Draymond's shooting has only gotten worse also these last few seasons.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Draymond can't shoot, and he's, uh, volatile, but I'd take everything else he does. Elite defender. Great passer.

Corrosion and amaru like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My thoughts were assuming that he may have to shoot more with the current lineup compared to the last 5 years.

His 3 point shot has gone down 4 years in a row. All the way to 28% last season on the least amount of shots he has taken in 5 years.

But yes he does other things very well.

roslolian and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Good observations.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Klay was healthy last year I think the warriors win the finals. If he is healthy in the playoffs this year they will be pretty dangerous.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You are telling me the guy that blatantly tried to injure Harden got injured?

[​IMG]

Well deserved.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

We're about to find out if Kerr can really coach. In the past, he's been able to get away with being tactically mediocre and interpersonally elite. I wonder if that will be enough.

Draymond will have his best shooting season ever, I have no doubt about that. He is one of those players who is just better the more they feel needed. Commonly comes through in tough moments. Thrives in a non-iso system, and now that Durant is gone iso ball will be down to a bare minimum for them.

Russell is whatever. I'll take Eric Gordon of him any day of the week. He's a good stop gap, and they will trade him at the deadline if Klay is near full health. I've said it before, will say it again: I think Covington and Teague for Russell is practically a lock to happen.

Curry will be Curry. He can't carry a team with usage, but he will shoot lights out at a staggering rate.

If the Warriors go into the playoffs with:

Looney/WCS
    Draymond/McKinnie
    Covington/Burks
    Klay/Glen Robinson III
    Curry/Teague

It will be trouble. The core of that team has so much experience, and the system they employ does not require a lot of incredible iso players. I told you all not to underestimate them when Durant went down. They went on to close out our series, sweep the Blazers, before losing to the Raptors without Durant and Klay (I believe they even picked up 2 wins).

Their record without Durant those 3 years is staggering. Better than any healthy team in that span. Now they've had time to plan some depth. Other than Russell who will clearly struggle to bring value in a system that suffers from iso play, they have lots going in their favor.

Even as a lower seed, I would consider them as dangerous as the LA teams.

hakeem94, amaru and Little Bit like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Passing isnt as big a deal as before if GSW doesnt have 3 of the best shooters in NBA history.

Also neither Russell nor Steph are great defenders I expect them to get roasted on D before Klay comes back. I looked at espn their starting SF is some dude named Alfonso Mckinnie lmao sp tbh I think the projections of GSW right being there in the mix are extremely overblown. I would be surprised if GSW gets a top 4 seed and Curry's body holds up over a season of carrying his team.

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea there team is not real real good on paper, there bench is horrible. If Curry goes down, they are gonna be mediocre, here hoping he misses alot of games, not to be negative, but hell they've had there run, its time for them to be sorry. I hope curry and klay are injury prone all year, and they get a 9th seed.

RichieBanks likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/klay-thompson-olympics-acl-golden-state-warriors/

Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors says he would like to play for Team USA in the 2020 Olympics. One problem: Thompson should not play high-level basketball at all, not for two years.

At least that’s what the science says.

A paper presented by Dr. Tim Hewett, a consultant who spent the bulk of his career studying the biomechanics of the knee for the Mayo Clinic and as the director of Ohio State’s Sports Health and Performance Institute, and Dr. Christopher Nagelli of the Mayo Clinic, finds that athletes who suffer ACL tears should not return to action for two years.

Thompson suffered a torn ACL during the NBA Finals in June. He is likely to miss all of next season if the Warriors stick to the standard protocol on returning players to the court after ACL injuries, which is nine to 12 months. Thompson could return to the floor around midseason if the Warriors put him on an accelerated return track.

“Please do share that with Klay,” Dr. Hewett, who has consulted with NBA trainers in the past, told Heavy.com. “This is not my opinion. People say to me, ‘Well, that is your opinion, there are other opinions.’ No, I deal in science and I deal in fact. People don’t like to hear it but it does not change the facts, and that facts are that you’re at risk for re-injury before two years and you won’t be the same player in the first year.”

Re-injury a Big Risk Factor for Thompson
    Thompson has good reason to wait to return to the floor. So do the Warriors. This summer, despite the knee injury, Thompson signed a five-year contract with Golden State that will pay him $190 million. Barring a trade, he is slated to be with the Warriors through the 2023-24 season, when he is 34 years old.

Sitting out two years will mean Golden State would pay Thompson $68 million for two seasons of rehab before he plays again for the team. But since the Warriors are already committed to another three years with Thompson after that, it behooves them to reduce the risk of a Thompson re-injury as much as possible.

Re-injury is a very big concern. It happened to Jabari Parker just two years ago. It ended the career of Josh Howard and effectively ended the career of Michael Redd. That’s only three players in the past decade, but considering there were 31 ACL injuries in that span, that’s a nearly 10 percent rate.

Over the last 25 years of NBA knee injuries, there were six re-injuries out of 67 ACL tears, again nearly 10 percent.

“If you return that athlete anywhere prior to 12 months, or in that range, the risk is exponentially higher,” Dr. Hewett said. “You decrease your risk for re-injury every month you delay. If you have a $15 million or $20 million athlete, it just makes sense to wait as long as you can to normalize their biology, physiology and their performance.”

It makes even more sense, then, for a $190 million athlete like Thompson.

Thompson Won’t Be the Same In His First Year Back
    What’s more, even if Thompson were to return in less than a year, he would not be the same on the floor. Anecdotally, players report that they don’t feel right in the year after an ACL surgery and, often, it is chalked up to a player needing to regain confidence in the knee—as though it were all mental.

Not so, says Dr. Hewett.

“It’s not just psychological,” he said. “It is physical, too. Your graft is still mush. You are grafting a piece of tendon onto the ACL in that surgery. It takes 18-24 months for a grafted ligament to re-ligamentize, to mature to the point where it is something close to a baseline of where it was before. If you are playing before that, you’re playing on a ligament that’s not done healing.”

Hewett points to NFL running back Dalvin Cook of the Vikings. He tore his ACL four games into his NFL career in 2017 and returned to action last year. He was decent in 11 games for Minnesota, averaging 55.9 yards rushing per game and 5.3 yards per touch. But this season, two years removed from his surgery, he leads the league in rushing (132.5 yards per game) and averages 6.8 yards per touch.

The NBA is replete with similar examples. Zach LaVine suffered an ACL tear in February 2017 and returned the following year for 24 games. He shot 38.3 percent from the field and averaged 16.7 points, with a PER of 14.6. He was a below-average offensive guard.

Last season in Chicago—two years after his ACL surgery—LaVine averaged 23.7 points on 46.7 percent shooting, with a PER of 18.7. He was back to his old self.

Forward Danilo Gallinari had a unique experience in Denver, initially attempting to resolve his ACL injury with a procedure called “healing response.” After eight months, when healing response did not work, he finally had surgery.

Gallinari told Sportando that his initial approach to fixing the knee was a, “wrong choice.” But it might have been right after all. When he did return to action, Gallinari posted numbers that were close to his stats before the injury on a per-36-miute basis. His PER was nearly unchanged, 16.7 before the surgery and 16.8 after.

“Look at the data,” Dr. Hewett said. “It’s really good data and what it says is that the reality of this is that less than half of athletes are back to their sport within a year and only about two-thirds of the athletes make it back to their sports after two years. As much as people would say, ‘You’re being unrealistic to hold athletes back for two years,’ it is the reality of the situation. This is not based on what people say or what people purport, this is the actual evidence.”

Warriors’ Worst-Case: ‘You Just Lost All That Money’
    That brings us back to Thompson. Not only should he skip the Olympics, he should skip the 2020-21 season, too—or at least wait until around midseason, which will mean he’d have more than 18 months of recovery time. That’s what the data indicates.

Many players can’t afford to sit out that long, not if they’re playing for that next contract. And there are players who exceed expectations when returning from injury.

But Thompson has a long-term deal in place. Even if there was no risk of re-injury, the best the Warriors could hope for in the short term likely would be a so-so version of Thompson, a 2020-21 season in which he struggles as the graft on his ACL turns from mush into a functional ligament. He’ll deal with pain and won’t be able to produce the way he normally would—the way he will in 2021-22, when the knee is actually healed.

Add the possibility of Thompson re-injuring the ACL if he returns too quickly and it does not seem worth it for to push himself back onto the floor. Even if there is only about a nine percent chance he’ll injure the ACL again, that risk is not insignificant.

It was pointed out to Dr. Hewett that this would mean the Warriors would pay Thompson to do leg curls for two years. “Understood,” he said. “Of course, he’ll have to do a lot of leg curls and a lot more than just leg curls to rehab. It’s a lot of money to pay someone to not play but he would be working. And if you have that second injury while a guy is under contract, you just lost all the money.”

_____

@Mathloom I've gotta think that the defense of Klay is going to be very different after an ACL tear. In fact, I think you start targeting him with your offense. That's way wayyy different than before. Before Klay was a deterrent. Now he's a target.

12. JW86

JW86 Member

After reading that, all I can think is: Oh Klay...

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What Klay said reminds me of the 6 Million Dollar Man.

"I'm going to come back better and more athletic."

[​IMG]

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Anybody who thinks Klay is just going to pick up right where he left off last playoffs is gonna have a bad time. While he'll be able to "play" come March or April, it's going to be a LOT longer before he has full range of motion in that knee. Guys who are even more athletic than Klay take a full 18-24 months before getting their full range back....Klay will have a similar timeline. He will be able to shoot just fine, but I'm expecting his movements to be stiff and slower than we're used to seeing. While an ACL tear is no longer a death sentence for someone's career, it's still a devastating injury.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone is different in their recovery and how their body responds. Cooper Kupp tore his ACL last november and had 0 setbacks in his recovery. hes out on the field in full go from the very start of the season in 10 months. he's also reportedly tested better in every athletic test post ACL tear. recovery time can definitely range in this process, just depending on rehab and what the end goal is for that player. I don't think he'll just pick up right where he left off like nothing happened. GS will probably ease him in but he'll still be able to be more than effective for a guy who never relied on much athleticism on the court

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You might be right, but the overwhelming scientific evidence is on my side of this debate. Klay MIGHT end up being another Kupp, but that's certainly not something anybody should count on.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

if we're using years ago as evidence sure maybe. it was a more devastating injury then, but in more recent time the advancement of medicine and surgical procedures, along with rehab has allowed this to be an injury athletes can recover fairly well from.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

#38 J.R., Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha how is it news he's out until ASB?

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think the tweet is referring to a more accurate timeframe of when he'll be back, not that he's out until the ASB.