1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kirk Cousins as Schaub's future successor?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Dec 17, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

ZzZzZzZz

Talk in a few years.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I had the same thought; he has looked really good in the last two games. Furthermore, we know he is not going to replace RGIII, so he likely going to be traded at some point. However, a larger sample of work is needed to make a decision on him.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Considering Griffin's possible fragility, I think they consider Cousins as more than a trade chip. But seeing as we're talking about 1-2 years from now, I could see Kyle Shanahan getting a head coach gig by then and pushing for his new team to trade for Cousins.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wanted the Texans to draft Cousins...Im all for him being Schaub's replacement.

5. MystikArkitect

Lol @ the thought of anyone getting the nod over T.J. Yates.

The only way T.J Yates is not Schaub's successor is if Kubiak is no longer here.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

That's not true at all.

If TJ doesn't develop much from now to 2017, then we could possibly looking elsewhere for Schaub's successor.

7. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Luck will come home.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

That would be beautiful.

9. rezdawg

Just because he is the current back up doesnt mean he's the eventual starter...he still has a lot of developing to do.

10. justafriend

justafriend Member

Yeah, there's a bunch of teams with laughable QB situations, and a really poor QB draft class this year. Assuming Cousins doesn't hurt his stock from here on out, I think the Redskins have a 2nd rounder in the bag. I think Cousins is starting somewhere else next year unless the Skins are extremely greedy with what they want in return.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Of course they would be, with a draft scarcity, they can set their price. If Cousins performs THAT well in the remaining games and playoffs if they make it. There's still Vick and maybe Matt Flynn. Alex Smith could ask to be traded, Flacco isn't re-signed yet.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I don't know why the Redskins would be in a hurry to trade him. With RG3's play style it's a good investment to keep him around especially at the price.

13. 713

713 Member

RG3 will come home.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Naw, short of a tragic injury prematurely ending Schaub's career, the team should just be smart and draft a QB in 2 to 3 seasons. Yates is serviceable for now and it should take just about that amount of time to know for certain if Schaub is living up to his new contract or not.

15. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

I have a feeling we'll end up with a guy like Landry Jones

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is sad. We are talking about Matt's successor and essentially targeting about a maybe above average NFL QB.

We should be aiming higher, maybe the next Tom Brady or Rodgers, not Kirk Cousins no?

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Says "The Realist". oh, the irony

I think most of us are being realistic and understanding that you either have to luck into a Brady/Rodgers or have a top pick in a lucky year to nab Luck, RG3, Peyton (and not Couch, Jamarcus, Vince, Leaf, etc.)

18. texansalltheway

This is an idea that would be very beneficial to the Texans, he is very good at a young age

19. rezdawg

Before Brady became Brady...his stock was lower than Cousins at this point in their careers. Rodgers was a bench warmer. Schaub only became a full time starter after he was traded.

Cousins is no different. You have to start somewhere...just because you dont come out of college, guns blazing, lighting records on fire, doesnt mean that you dont have the potential to be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

Drew Brees will come home.