1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant to sign with the Nets (4 years, $164M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2019.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Those uniforms are absolutely beautiful but are ruined with Adam Silver's greed (ads) and Nike's douchey self-promoting logo.

I miss Adidas.

ghettocheeze and Jontro like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source Says Drama Within Warriors Showed Kevin Durant 'Lack Of A Respect'

There were several things that transpired with the Golden State Warriors that led to the long anticipated departure of Kevin Durant, according to a source.

Stephen Curry continued to receive the most love from the Warriors' crowd and Bob Myers even made an awkward joke about his status within the organization compared to Durant during last year's title celebration.

Draymond Green also confronted Durant about his future following a loss in November at the Clippers.

A source close to Durant was asked about the negative things that transpired with the Warriors.

“All (the drama) showed a lack of respect for one of the greatest players to put that uniform on and the fact that he took all that abuse and still put his career on the line to help them win,” the source told Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. JW86

JW86 Member

What did the Nets gain by trading for KD instead of just signing him outright?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Future 1st?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he made a mistake trusting Irving too much.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol cupcake playing in the Least with 30yr old kyrie while he shunned the rockets and a 27yr old harden 3 years ago

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

#129 J.R., Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Durant destroyed his own legacy by taking that meeting in the Hamptons in 2016 only to be told 3 years later that the Warriors didn't needed him.

Now, he's broken -- got chewed up and spit out by the wayside by the Warriors. A truly tragic fall from from the top. Nobody outside Brooklyn even cares about him anymore. He's never going to be in the conversation for best player in the league again.

In hindsight, if Durant had any public relations sense back 2016, he would have chosen to go home and play for the Wizards.

D.C. would have immediately embraced him as a hometown hero and his narrative would have been elevated similar to what LeBron did for Cleveland after his return. Plus, the Wizards had a great young roster with Wall, Beal, Porter Jr., etc. Durant would have fit very nicely in that lineup and the Wizards would have instantly contended with the Cavaliers for the crown of the East with LeBron vs. Durant for best player in the league as the subplot.

After all, basketball is a form of entertainment and that's how you create storylines and shape narratives.

Even the business side made sense for Durant. D.C./Maryland/Virginia metroplex is the 6th largest in the US with over 6 million people -- ahead of the Bay Area. Plus, the ensuing media circus of Trump's presidency in 2016 created the perfect opportunity for sports to provide an escape for the people of D.C. where another public figure like an athlete could have risen to the occasion and easily endeared himself to the people by giving them some hope and perhaps a championship.

Nonetheless, the Shakespearean tragedy is now complete. Good luck to The Snake in Brooklyn!

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin Durant Posted Instagram Announcement Before Speaking To Nets

Kevin Durant posted his Instagram post announcing his decision to sign with the Brooklyn Nets before even speaking with the team directly.

“The Instagram post that he put up, we were all sitting in the office,” Sean Marks said. “We all got that in real-time with you guys. We weren’t even sure if we were getting a meeting that night or if it was going to be a telephone conversation with him.”

Marks was then asked if Durant agreed to sign even though the Nets didn't make an offer.

“With those guys, they’re at a different level. They know … I’m not going to sit here and tell them, ‘Well, we’d like to discuss a contract with you.’ We know what we’re getting into,” Marks said.

Durant arrived at the Nets' training facility shortly after the announcement.

“I don’t know if it was that much of a pitch. It was more along the lines of — (coach Kenny Atkinson) talked about how he wants to use him and how he would play and the style of play and so forth, Marks said. “We both discussed the culture, we both discussed the makeup of the team and so forth. I think it was pretty evident in terms of his excitement and the look on his face and the expressions that he had come to a decision pretty quickly.”

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Both deals have player options in their fourth seasons, meaning Durant and Irving can hit free agency again in the summer of 2022.

Irving's contract is especially interesting: eight separate incentives -- $125,000 each, all deemed "unlikely" -- and thus not included in Irving's current cap hit. Irving's initial salary for 2019-20 is $31,720,000 -- exactly $1 million short of his maximum. Hitting all eight bonuses would make up the difference.

Irving would earn $125,000 apiece if:

• He appears in at least 70 regular-season games.
    • He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and averages fewer than 2.4 turnovers per game. Irving has averaged 2.6 turnovers per game over his career, and between 2.3 and 2.7 in each of his last six seasons.
    • He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and attempts at least 4.6 free throws per game. Irving has averaged 4.4 free throws per game for his career, and has fallen below the 4.6 mark in each of his last two seasons.
    • He shoots 88.5 percent or better from the foul line in the regular-season. Irving is a career 87.5 percent free throw shooter. He has cracked the 88.5 percent mark in three of his eight career seasons.
    • makes at least 2.8 3-pointers per game in the regular-season. Irving has accomplished that just once in eight seasons. He has averaged 2.1 made 3s per game over his career.
    • He commits fewer than 2.1 fouls per game in the regular-season. His career average: 2.2.
    • Nets score at least 114 points per 100 possessions in the regular-season with Irving on the floor. Only two teams -- Golden State and Houston -- topped that mark last season, per NBA.com, though teams generally score more efficiently with their best offensive players on the floor.
    • The Nets allow 106 or fewer points per 100 possessions in the regular season with Irving on the floor. Only three teams averaged 106 or fewer points allowed per 100 possessions in the regular-season, per NBA.com.
    The same eight incentives repeat, at slightly higher dollar increments, in every season of Irving's deal, per contract data.

Durant unlocks a $1 million bonus -- raising his salary to the maximum -- if any one of the following occur:

• The Nets make the playoffs.
    • The Nets win 43 or more games.
    • Durant plays in at least 50 regular-season games.
    • Durant makes the All-Star team.

Through a complex series of transactions and incentives, the Nets opened up enough flexibility to sign both Irving and Jordan with cap room, and sign-and-trade three players -- D'Angelo Russell, Treveon Graham, and Shabazz Napier -- for Durant. Jordan's contract rises and falls over its four-year term: $9.881 million in 2019-20, $10.375 million in 2020-21, $9.881 million again 2021-22, and then down slightly to $9.821 million in the final season.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Wish Morey had worked out a better construction on CP3's deal.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well I guess that settles whether or not he's going to sue them. For me, the warriors mishandled it in two ways, one was the pressure put on him to return. Durant says this was not the case, I'm sort of inclined to believe him. The second was to act as gatekeepers if they felt his body wasn't ready. This second one is hard to confirm. Negligence and ignorance in the eyes of the law are not always the same thing. Did the Warriors willingly let him play all the while knowing this was a realistic outcome? Geez, that's hard to say. Without damning testimony saying that doctors actively lied to him, it's not a valid thing to believe.

Now, should the medical staff have known better? I think so. I think a number of people felt he came back too early. But hey, I have a PhD not an MD, so I'm a doctor not a physician. Either way, it's hard to blame that team.

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Durant kills the stupid conspiracy theories lol. People looking for boogeymen where there aren’t any.

PlayBall likes this.
  17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I don't get the blame placed on the warriors doctors, if Kevin's own doctor cleared him to play.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Why would Durant come out and say they mishandled it, what is he going to gain from that? It will only lead to a bad episode, another one for him, and surely he'd burn that Golden Gate bridge forever. People around the league would lose respect for him if he came out with details about that whole saga. For once, he's shown some maturity and just let the past be the past, but to think he's all of a sudden 100% truthful? I'm inclined to say no.

Now, there's no big conspiracy needed to believe that Durant was 1) pressured in different ways, doesn't have to be directly like some movie scene where a team official, coach or owner is talking to the doctors to convince them to tell Durant he's okay and that he doesn't give a damn if he can't play since he wants to win. It can be subtle or even through the media, which did happen. 2) told he was ready to go, that there was a risk, even though the doctors knew better and or were just incompetent.

In regards to point 2, it is negligent / ignorant as @Pizza_Da_Hut pointed out and tells me that there definitely was conflict of interest and people didn't protect Durant well enough. Of course he wanted to play and kudos for doing that, especially for a franchise and team who never really wanted you in the first place. My opinion of the Warriors doesn't change after this interview, I still think they carry themselves in way that is far from respectful. The owner, Kerr and pretty much all of their main guys have been disrespectful towards the league, other players, other franchises and have not been criticized that much. Only Durant, Kerr and to a degree now Curry is getting some. Hope that continues for the latter two.

My opinion of Durant has changed slightly since his return from that injury, he's gained my respect and I honestly feel bad for him as he truly struggles with his image and how he presents himself. He should just focus on himself and the Nets now, nothing else. Let's see how he handles it, hope he just goes out and plays basketball, stays away from social media and doesn't try to hard to prove himself and or talks about the Warriors. I just hope he can be somewhat honest from now and not act like the Warriors are all class, treated him with the utmost respect while he was there and it was all lovey dovey.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

team with led by 1 superstar with 3 all stars wih a chip the year before

year after same team wins 73 games and comes back after being down 3 to 1 to your own team

free agency comes, you only meet this team and don't even bother to meet other teams and hear their offer

was he seriously expecting respect going in his direction???