1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant ruined the NBA. Houston saved it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roggit, May 17, 2018.

1. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Yes, but a weak conference though.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

It's called the east

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Whatever it is, I'll stick with a churro....

If y'all haven't been to Boston, don't go. It's a terrible place to be, and full of hateful people. There's a reason why A LOT of people say this sort of thing. The afterbirth of the internet that comes along to defend ~~literally anything~~ can suck bricks. Boston is the worst place in the USA and it isn't even close. I can't even properly describe the depth and extent of how much Boston sucks on actual donkey ass because it would just sound hyperbolic and made up for laughs.

Except it really is that ****ing bad.

joshuaao and BigShasta like this.
  4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I agree

I purposefully skip our company outings in Boston. Can't stand the city. Racists fools.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  5. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Boston is looking really good and dandy against a terrible defensive team. From my memory of this season, it seemed that team even with Kyrie was struggling to score high numbers. I have this impression that, while they have the defense, their offense wouldn't be able to keep up with this GSW team.

Back to the OP's topic about what makes rooting against this Warrior's team feel like the right thing to do, and what makes rooting for this Rockets team which carries that rep of being hard to watch feel so good...

Was anybody after Game 1 thinking... "What's the point?" all over again? I did. The thought that there's a giant that no one can contend with is scary because it in effect makes the outcome written in stone before it even happens. The composition of this GSW team from top down is clearly unfair to the rest of the league. I don't understand people who defend KD's move to that GSW team - it has self-righteousness written all over the sentiment that he had the right to do it. Sure. For someone who could've been considered one of the top players of all time to join the most winningest team in NBA history, for me, he capped the ceiling of his legacy and showed me a lot about his character. What makes stars worth rooting for is praising the character of the player and seeing those same qualities bring success in our regular day lives. Watching that 2008 Boston championship team win was easy to root for because they all had something they played for. Everyone on this Rockets team has something they have to fight for, and that's validation and redemption. To me, there's nothing that would be more satisfying as a fan than to see my Rockets team get theirs. Gerald Green is awesome - flaws and all - he's someone that reps Houston 100% and reminds you of the character that was on display during the Harvey storm. When all seems lost, from afar I saw qualities like perseverance, selflessness, lifting up of one another, fight and grit. Those are what carry us. We all knew that there would be no easy way out to the finals. Playing against these Warriors is everything I hoped for at the start of this season. Let's hope the good guys win. Believe it! Go Rockets!

6. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I was really hoping this was an actual media article headline lol

7. StevieCrossover

Once Rockets beat Warriors, Kevin Durant can go sign in Houston

cdain3 likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

And now, Isaiah Thomas says that if LeBron James leaves Cleveland, he should go to...

The Golden State Warriors.

To join KD and Curry. Seriously?

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Dude I’m almost entirely some flavor of white, I grew up in Texas and the palpable racism there made me feel uncomfortable. I didn’t even feel white enough lol...

BigShasta likes this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Nah bro. KD was worse because he went to the team he lost to and choked against. A true "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

11. hakeemthagreat

The team that beat him LOST in the finals. Bottom line, he went to a team that was stacked and NOW ppl are mad. He pulled a Lebron and did it better than Lebron

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They were the best RS team ever. If LeBron hadn't went to Miami they would have been a decent playoff team at best. LeBron did not go to a team that was stacked, he made the team stacked.

bballjunkie and Little Bit like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

Wrong. He PLANNED to go to Miami with Bosh & Wade, which is FAR worse considering he was still in Cleveland at the time. How does a player plan his exit to a new team while still contracted with his current team? That's about as low as it gets

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

By the same token the warriors were recruiting Durant during the season as well. Woj wrote a piece about Durant joining the Warriors I think before the all star game that season. The players were recruiting all season long. I think the only thing that made a difference was if Durant beat GS he probably stays in OKC. IMO if GS won the title I still think he goes to Golden State that year. It would have made his move even worse, but there was still a decent amount of planning done by Durant (and his team) about moving him out of OKC, but maybe not at the same level as LeBron.

What I will say also is that I absolutely HATE how LeBron left Cleveland with the whole "decision" show (even though it raised a lot of money for the Boys and Girls club) its hard to blame him or Bosh leaving their franchises. The Cavs rosters was just hot garbage year in and year out and LeBron was carrying them to 60+ wins. Had he stayed with the Cavs would we have seen one of the greatest players not win a ring? Who did he have there during his first stint? Same with Bosh, though not nearly the same level as James (who is?) the Raptors were not building a contender around him.

Durant had a great team around him with far more talent than Bosh or LeBron ever had prior for them leaving to Miami....and this is even with Harden being traded away.

Also its unfortunate because Golden State built their amazing team the way every fan dreams about. Drafting smart and developing well. They took advantage of the one time huge cap spike to sign Durant. Any team would do the same if given the opportunity I do not blame the Warriors as a franchise for doing that. Obviously adding in a MVP level, HOF player in their prime without losing their historic core just makes something we haven't seen before. The Celtics and Lakers of the 80s were STACKED but they were both stacked teams. Right now there isn't another team that is remotely close to the same level of talent that the Warriors have. Durant's switch caused a complete shift in the league. That miami team was ridiculously talented too but as we saw they lost to Dallas, and were close to losing to the Spurs twice. Had OKC kept their core together they would not have had as much talent as OKC even. They had the most talent but there were other teams that were right behind them.

Bottom line for me there was plenty of evidence for LeBron to feel that the cavs management would not be able to put a contender around him in his prime. Durant did not have that issue he had a great front office in OKC, despite being in a small market. David Griffin was the first competent GM LeBron had in Cleveland and now that he is gone - look whats happened. Traded away Kyrie, turned the entire roster upside and look at that team now. Outside of George Hill all of the touted midseason acquisitions have done nothing in the playoffs. its been all the guys Griffin got that have been contributing. LeBron is entering the downside of his career and he can still carry a team but not at the same night in night out he could 10 years ago. He is going to head out of Cleveland again for this reason. I am not going to ignore that LeBron getting "his guys" hooked up with big deals is contributing to the current situation but the other moves have been really bad.

daywalker02 and RocketsFan247 like this.
  15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I've kinda come around to the idea that this is less about Durant and more about the rest of the NBA rolling over and tanking instead of trying to build teams to compete with GS. Except for OKC, Cavs and us nobody has even attempted to take up the challenge. Everyone else has decided that its too difficult to compete so might as well cede the Championship to them for a few more seasons.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Rockets are stacked as well...... Two Elite PGs can make the team better, to the degree that it can rival the GSW on a good day.

We have seen that.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What part of my post was wrong? That the Warriors weren't the best RS team of all time? Or that Miami wouldn't have been a contender without LBJ?

18. hakeemthagreat

All semantics. Lebron was the first to stack the deck, KD just did it better. Lebron did it TWICE & is gonna do it AGAIN when he leaves Cleveland this summer. How many times does Lebron need to switch teams?

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He can switch teams as much as he wants. But if he loses to the Celtics and then joins them, he will be a b****. Deal with it.

bballjunkie likes this.
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

When the Rockets knock off GS, it would be perfect for a reporter to ask Durant if he'll leave the Warriors to join the Rockets like what he did in 2016 when OKC lost.