1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant: ‘It’s easy to be the best player when you don’t have good players around you’

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Jun 10, 2018.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

To me, it sounded like he was still throwing poop on Westbrick! :)

Soft-Shell: “ That’s the reason I came here ... unselfish environment”

Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No it does not. If you're as talented as KD is, it's much easier to play with a bunch of guys who command the defense's respect. He's being played 1 on 1, it's incredibly easy for him out there.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Spoken like a true Beta

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If he's taking a shot at anyone, it's OKC and WB instead of LeBron.

It's too bad KD still feels wounded by the criticism and has the need to crow. He's wearing his insecurity like a badge of honor.

francis 4 prez, BigO and RyanB like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is such a p***y.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and R0ckets03 like this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

Actually at the time he joined, The Cavs were the best team in the league. Just had to correct you sir

juanm34 likes this.
  7. rocks123

rocks123 Member

Still taking a dig at westbrook. Hehe. Not a fan of westbrook game but did he ever talked bad about Durant on socmed or any interview?

BigO and roslolian like this.
  8. Mr. Space City

it's easy to win championships when the refs rig games for you to win.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Poor Durant - he is always looking for that validation that he will never receive. Actions have consequences, you know?

10. Major

Major Member

You realize he was being asked questions, right? People seem to hate athletes giving canned answers and then hate athletes giving honest answers. JR posted earlier more context of the larger picture of answers he was giving - he seems pretty happy and content with his choices and situation. The people who seem insecure are the ones that have to find some reason - any reason - to turn anything he says into a reason to hate him. Y'all seem a lot more obsessed with him than he does with fans. He is who he is - an outspoken guy who seems to struggle with not-being-Lebron and loves basketball and maybe worries too much or too little about what people think of him. You all are what you are - fans with a weird, seemingly overwhemling need to be angry at him.

durvasa and YOLO like this.
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i think he meant to say "its a lot easier to be a 2-4 time asterisk champ instead of being a real champ like lebron and kobe and jordan."

and i agree with him. smart dude.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and roslolian like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

I've come to the realization that the MAIN ppl mad at KD are Lebron fans who are upset that he played Lebron's game better than Lebron. It angers them that Lebron's not getting all the attention. They'll ignore the fact Lebron's the catalyst for getting on stacked teams to win championships. Did those same fans apologize when 3 superstars on Miami beat KD & OKC? I don't remember ppl saying "Look at that young KD up against 3 superstars, poor Durant". I don't remember anybody making excuses for Kevin Durant lol

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't fit in your neat little box of someone who wants to hate KD. For quite some time he was my favorite player in the NBA. I don't hate him one bit.

It's just that his public displays of insecurity are sad IMO. He needs to move on. I haven't viewed a video of this interview and it isn't clear to me how much of these statements were pulled out of him by questions. It appears these are feelings he's harbored for quite some time.

I said for years Scott Brooks wasted the talent on OKC and was in over his head. During his last 2 years in OKC, it was clear KD's relationship with WB was going the wrong direction. During his final season, they hit some peaks that were incredible, but like everyone else watching OKC on a regular basis, I saw WB clearly get off the wagon and revert to prior form because he wanted to assert his rank. KD leaving OKC was fine. I completely understand why he chose GS.

Outspokenness comes with a risk. In KD's case, it's not flattering at all.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The more KD talks, the worse he sounds.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats wrong with getting a stacked team to win championship? Kobe had a stacked team, Jordan had the most stacked team of his era. Stacked have existed before lebron case in point Celtics Big 3 whicj was the catalyst for Lebron going to Miami. You are sucha hater your perception of history is distorted already.

Secondly Miami beat OKC with 4 stars, that team had KD, WB, Harden and ibaka. Team with 3 stars beats team with 4 stars and Miami fans have to apologize? LOL

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep plus wade and bosh by themselves were no 73 win team for sure

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing is .. . when he feels the least bit of pressure he is Mr. 1-9 in the 4th quarter
    When they get a bit of a lead going into the 4th . . . he is Mr. All world

Rocket River

Zboy likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23766415/zach-lowe-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-dynasty-nba

"He's not chasing a ghost," Pratt says. "He's not trying to be MJ, or pass MJ." Durant is a cold-blooded hoops killer, but he has never fixated on Jordan's ring count the way Kobe Bryant and even LeBron James have.

"I mean, I'm crazy about winning, don't get me wrong," Durant tells ESPN.com. "I'm just not obsessed with winning championships. It's not the only reason I play. I play for my individual growth."

[...]

Durant told Steve Nash, a Warriors consultant, as much when he called Nash from the Hamptons while still deciding whether to join Golden State in the summer of 2016. "'It's not about championships,'" Nash remembers Durant saying. "'This is about challenging myself and learning new things.' That answer, for me, is beyond reproach."

What makes Durant tick, beyond love of his craft, remains a bit of a mystery even to those who have been around him for years. Pratt says he's "chasing validation" -- not from Twitter critics, but from superstar peers. There is something unknowable about Durant, and perhaps conflicting impulses within him.

[...]

Durant knew he would generate backlash joining a 73-win team instead of sticking in Oklahoma City, or striking out on his own. "I don't understand why people refer to this as the easy way," says Rich Kleiman, Durant's business partner. "Isn't being beloved easier? Every story about his business interests, 80 percent of the comments are about him being a snake or a cupcake. How is that easier?"

[...]

"Obviously it would be cool to have the ball in my hands the whole game and rack up numbers," Durant told ESPN.com during the Finals. "I can do that. But for me to utilize the full body of my talents, I can't do that. I don't have the energy physically to do that and still defend on the perimeter, block shots, rebound."

[...]

Kerr eventually summoned Durant to a lunch in Portland on Feb. 14 to clear the air. "'I don't want to lose you,'" Durant remembers Kerr telling him. "He had been drifting a bit," Kerr says. "He's vulnerable. He's not a machine. I felt the need to reconnect."

Both Kerr and Nash saw the drifting start over the summer, after Durant realized his first championship would not complete his life -- or silence every critic. He didn't work as often with Nash, or as productively, as planned.

"He didn't have a great summer," Nash says. "He was searching for what it all meant. He thought a championship would change everything, and found out it doesn't. He was not fulfilled. He didn't work out as much as he normally does."

[...]

Durant may never want that, or find such a situation that allows him to win big. He has said repeatedly he enjoys Golden State in part because he is just one of the guys. Still: He knows he can take over games, and seasons, if required.

"I can play any style, with any player, anywhere in the world," Durant says. "I can pick up my game and move anywhere I want."

He has no plans to pick up and move from the Bay. Maybe one day, he will. Maybe one day, we'll have a better idea of what makes him tick.

"Maybe you're not supposed to figure out what makes him tick," his father says. "Just watch him play."

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's got that MeMac foot in mouth disease

LMAO... He's not obsessed with winning ships anymore. Who else would say that after what he did? Does he want to be on a different team? He'd be hated even more if he did and have a lot less money and wins.

What a weirdo.

#60 Invisible Fan, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Zboy likes this.