1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keon Clark traded to Jazz for future 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Aug 5, 2003.

1. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Link

Kings trade Clark to Utah Jazz for future second-round draft pick
    By Bee Sports Staff
    Published 1:24 p.m. PDT Tuesday, August 5, 2003
    The Sacramento Kings on Tuesday traded forward Keon Clark and two future second-round draft picks to the Utah Jazz for one future second-round pick, The Bee has learned.
    The cost-cutting move will save the Kings approximately $5 million from the 2003-04 payroll. However, it leaves the Kings with only 10 players under contract for next season. The cost-cutting move will allow the Kings some cap room to go after free agent guard Jim Jackson.

Clark played just one season with the Kings after signing as a free-agent with the Kings last August. Clark started in 11 of the 80 games he played for Sacramento, averaging 6.7 points per game and 5.60 rebounds per game.

The highlight of his season may have come on Feb. 4 in Dallas where he made a spectacular one-handed dunk off a Hedo Turkoglu miss with 16.5 seconds left for a 110-109 win over the Mavericks. He scored 17 points and had eight rounds in the game.

Three weeks later at Arco Arena, Clark made a put-back after an air-ball by Mike Bibby with 0.4 seconds left to again beat the Mavericks 126-124.

Utah will be Clark's fourth team since entering the NBA as the 13th overall pick by Denver in the 1998 draft. He was traded to the Toronto Raptors after two and a half seasons with the Nuggets.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

whatever happened to keon clark's dad?...didn't he kill a guy recently?

3. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What are the Kings thinking....I knwo they just got Brad Miller....but I'm sure they could have gotten more for Keon. FIrst they get rid of Turkoglu for nothing(besides cap room) and now they trade Keon Clark for a scond rounder?!?!?!? Looks like they no longer want the NBA's deepest bench.:confused:

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I still baffled! Keon Clark + 2 second round picks for 1 :eek: second round pick from the Jazz? Unless maybe I read it wrongly or ESPN.com made a mistakes I am still baflled.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

This trade was more about cap space and luxury tax avoidance than it was about exchanging talent and picks. Sac just knocked off about $10 mil in cap space.

They had no need for Clark with Miller and Divac in the fold.

7. silent j

silent j Member

And it opens up some cash so they can sign Jim Jackson.
    j

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a great pick-up for Utah, i'm surprised a team didn't offer something better for Keon's services. On the right team I think Clark could be a very good player, I hope its not Utah though...

9. codell

Exactly.

Clark was a hot commodity last year and he has a reasonable contract when compared to his production. His playing time went down a bit at the end of the season and he didn't play a whole lot in the playoffs in comparison. I wonder why he fell out of favor.

This should make the Kings-Lakers rivalry that much better (Miller v. Shaq).

Sac is paying around $10 mil each for two centers. Which one will start??? :confused:

#9 codell, Aug 5, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  10. vangundy

vangundy Member

Only on this board is Keon Clark held with such high regard.

I remember last summer, how everyone said that Clark would tip the WC scale towards Sac.

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Bingo. Everyone tries to play Clark at PF or C, but he can't do it. And he doesn't have the outside shot to play SF. He's going to continue to be one of the most talented, and disappointing, players in the league.

12. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

So when Webber goes down (as we all know he will at some point during the season or playoffs), they're going to have to plug Miller in at power forward, with Funderburke as the main backup. Purely financial move in a summer that made the league's deepest bench quite a bit thinner than before.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Divac is old but crafty, and Webber has ankles older than the league, they will just have a 3 man rotation between the 4 and 5 spots with B Miller and with Fundernurke playing spot minutes as extra cover.

If they can re-sign J Jackson, then there bench will be B Miller, J Jackson, B Jackson, G Wallace and Songalia, still a pretty solid bench

14. codell

No kidding. Their 2nd team would make a pretty decent starting lineup.

I still say though, that you are only as good as your best player. Webber is indeed turning out to be injury prone with all his ankle problems. I think they will be competing with Dallas for the 4/5 spots next year and flame out again in the playoffs. If so, i wouldn't be suprised to hear some Webber trade speculation.

15. BALLhog 247 365

theres the jazz's last major move of the offseason...

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Just curious, how long is Divac tied up for and for how much?

I would have thought that the Kings would have parted ways with him instead of Clark.

17. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Ok, let's get it started then. :D

Rockets get:
    Webber
    Christie
    Jackson

Sac gets:
    Taylor
    Cato
    Moochie
    Rice

Rockets would do this because we can.
    Sac would do this because they saw the idea on BBS.:D

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Vlade has 1 year @ $12m. IMO, no way Utah does that...Sloan wants to win now and couldn't care less about next summer (expiring contract).

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's a case of giving up depth. You give up Clark and Pollard and get Miller. Who is your back-up PF? Who will fill in for Webber while he's out?

20. codell

I don't see that as a problem for them really. Divac can handle the PF spot for for 10-15 mins a game while Webber is out with Miller playing the 5.

Towards the end of last season and early in the playoffs, Clark was not playing a whole lot anyway.