1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas vs. Othella Harrington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TB3, Aug 3, 2000.

1. TB3

TB3 Member

I hear people saying that Othella Harrington is an improvement over Kenny Thomas, but I have to disagree. Othella plays with his back to the basket, so he is good for half court play. Kenny is a better defender, rebounder, and uptempo player. I think Kenny fits in better to our future plans, although I don't think either guy is the answer.

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

2. Thanos

Thanos Member

Othella rebounds, defends and scores more than KT does.

You just have to look at his stats during the early part of the lockout-shortened season, when the Chuckster got injured to see what he can provide.

And after years of relying in the post, it sure would be nice if we had SOME form of post up ability.

You can´t run and gun all the time, some teams (read the jazz) will force you to play half-court, and then posting up is necessary, be it provided by Othella or not.

Arguably not the best option, but better than KT for sure.

------------------
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Othella got those points because HAKEEM took all the attention from the other teams defense. If you want a more accurate representation, look at O's points etc last year in Vancouver.

O has seen his peak, KT is not close to his yet.

KT is better, but may not have the work ethos.

DaDakota

------------------

5. Thanos

Thanos Member

I don´t think last season´s numbers are an accurate demonstration of Othella´s abilities.

He was in disgust with the idea of being in Vancouver and that showed in his numbers.

Plus he had Shareef (a rebounding SF if ever there was one) cleaning up the boards over there, and even Big Country.

And he was, what, the 4th scoring option behind Shareef, Dickerson and Bibby.

I still think his better than KT. A lot better.

------------------

6. SlamN

SlamN Member

Both are great bench players but right now the Rockets need more than that in the front court. Both lack size and offensive moves. I think KT is better offensively and Othella is better defensively. I rather keep KT since he's a bit younger than Othella. Anyway, the Rockets need to sign or trade for a PF. I hope they aren't already content with the current players.

------------------

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanos,

Othella can not pass, plays average defense, and can not hit a shot outside of 5 feet.

KT is an excellent passer, a better defender, and has 3 point range.

KT is the better player, but Othella is a nice ROLE player.

KT may not ever reach his potential, as he needs more self motivation to succeed. That is where Othella hammers KT, he is a much harder worker.

Othella has come and gone, nice player...but.....

DaDakota

------------------

8. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

Kenny Thomas-8.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, .399 fg%

Othella Harrington-13.1 ppg, 6.9 rpg,.506 fg%

Plus Othella played all 82 games last season. He works hard and doesn't just care about points. Harrington would be a good influence to work hard for the other big men like Cato. Othella would also be able to gaurd the better power forwards since he is 6'9".

------------------

9. Thanos

Thanos Member

The truth is that EITHER one of them will simply not do as our starter.

Let´s hope the front office has another blockbuster up their sleeves.

I really wanted Brian Grant soooo much on our team.

hey, a guy can dream, can´t he?

Hmmm... maybe Toronto wants to unload Oakley or Davis.

Not bad ideas, though i suppose they don´t exacly care very much for the Rockets right now.

------------------

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither suffice. We need a post player, that still is athletic, and isn't a black hole. Neither of these provide that need.

Garnett or Webber will work. [​IMG]

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

DaDakota:

didn't Othella play really well when Charles went down as well as Hakeem?

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."

--Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)

Dubyah Speaks

12. RENDIGGLER3:20

OTHELLA! I think the only thing kenny has on him is the ability to take the outside shot.In which he would of finished with a good 3pt% but he started going to the outside shot a little to often.Both have good post up games but i would give it to othella and to comment on othella not being able to shoot outside of 5ft.Othella hardley ever missed a shot for the rockets he was almost automatic inside 15ft.Othella also can move around without the ball better and works really hard on the offensive glass.
    1 thing though kenny has only 1 year under his belt and has a better chance to improve.

But if othella wants to leave,i think combined they would be a nice PF tandom.

------------------

13. TB3

TB3 Member

Wow, I can't believe all the people that think Othella is a better player than KT. I think Kenny is a MUCH better defensive player. Kenny can guard some 3s, and his long arms help him guard 4s. The only thing Othella does better is post up.

I do agree though, that neither is the answer. We need a stud to play the 4!!

------------------
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent
    homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace
    Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The botomline is simple. They are very comparable and BOTH are undersized 4's. KT has a bit more upside. Vancouver would not let Othella go cheaply (especially to the Rocks) and the improvement would be marginal. Then you would have to deal KT and probaby not get much. Too much hassle, not enough gain. Let KT grow until the real #4 shows up. A strong #4 is the only thing missing and neither KT nor Othella is the man.

------------------
    GATER

15. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i think having both together would be awesome, you can have kenny for the high octane offense and have othella for the set uo plays when hakeem is in. together, i feel both of them our one good power forward.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

17. alaskansnowman

KT'S got more potential than Othella my fella. I say, just let KT grow.

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

18. MManal

MManal Member

Neither of these players will suffice for the starting PF for the Rockets. I think KT is a better player than Othella as KT can play both facing the basket and with his back to it along with being a better passer and more fluid player. Othella is basically a black hole on offense and has very little face up game.

However, I think the Rockets can do a whole lot better at the 4 spot and will need to if they want to win big down the line. What I want is a stud 4 that is an enforcer type meaning he holds his ground well on defense and does not get pushed around and can be an important part of the offense in crunch time. To get a stud 4 that has the offensive game, rebounding, defense, toughness etc. that this team needs is near to impossible in players already in the NBA. Thats why if the Rockets want to fill this need, they will have to make a move for Marcus Fizer. He is an ideal fit for this team at the 4 spot and is somewhat of a realistic target. Let's hope something like that materializes b/c this frontline as is needs a ton of work.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

19. OT

OT Member

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. If O had KT's footwork and outside shot and KT had O's heart and inside game, they would be better players. They are good role players and I think both can continue to improve. Some people make it sound like Othello is over the hill but, he hasn't been in the league that long and has only been a starter 1 year. I like them both for what they are, roll players.

------------------