1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas on tape

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 15, 1999.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I took my own advice and focused on Kenny Thomas in this game. A few observations:

1. He has no idea where he's supposed to be most of the time. He goes and stands in one place, then sees he's not helping there, so he walks a few feet to another place. Usually, he ends up getting nowhere near the ball and doing nothing to distract or break down the defense. At least four times on defense, I saw him walk into or lean against a teammate, preventing either of them from moving or rotating as needed. Francis actually rebuked him on the court for messing up the defense on one occasion. Man, is he raw.

2. The one play he knows how to do so far is a high screen. This usually doesn't work because Francis either (a) doesn't use the screen and goes the other way or (b) goes so far around the screen that Francis' defender can easily squeeze between him and Thomas. Francis ends up wasting most of the screens his teammates set for him. This was equally true when Barkley was setting the screens.

3. After setting the high screen and losing his man, Thomas goes to the foul line to set a second screen. This seems foolish. The second screen never accomplishes anything. Thomas has a sweet shot but doesn't move to open space on the perimeter to catch and shoot, as Karl Malone does after setting a screen for John Stockton.

4. Kenny has great hands inside. He catches passes reliably and can reverse direction while holding the ball with one hand -- an enormously useful post-up skill. He can go up for the rebound with no height advantage and wrestle the ball away from the opponent. He can take a hit on the ground or in the air and still has the power and touch to make the shot, call or no call. His strength and his hands are a great combination.

5. Kenny seems to know he's supposed to box out on defense and jockey for position on the offensive glass, but he doesn't do this nearly as aggressively and consistently as he should. He seems not to want it as bad as Barkley did. Barkley had a way of walking, leaning, and clawing his way into position for boards. Kenny seems to get discouraged when his guy puts an arm or body on him to keep him out, and he settles for outside position.

Bottom line, he seems clueless about what to do and apprehensive about how to do it. The first problem will gradually solve itself, no doubt. But the second one worries me. Othella Harrington played with more fire than this. Come, on Kenny. You're a man. You're big and talented. The lane is yours. Take it over.

The other thing I'd like to see Kenny do is play more like the guy he resembles in some ways: Karl Malone. Kenny and Bryce Drew remind me of Malone and Stockton. Only once tonight did I see them try a pick and roll, and when they did, Drew tossed a soft, telegraphed pass toward Thomas that was picked off by Allan Houston and taken the other way. I'd like to see a lot more of that play, properly executed. Let those guys anchor the second team. Drew's ability to pass and shoot the 3 or hit the floater in the lane, coupled with Thomas's ability to set the pick and hit the open shot or catch the pass on the way to the rack, should be a killer combination.

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Kenny and Bryce Drew remind me of Malone and Stockton. Only once tonight did I see them try a pick and roll, and when they did, Drew tossed a soft, telegraphed pass toward Thomas that was picked off by Allan Houston and taken the other way. I'd like to see a lot more of that play, properly executed. Let those guys anchor the second team. Drew's ability to pass and shoot the 3 or hit the floater in the lane, coupled with Thomas's ability to set the pick and hit the open shot or catch the pass on the way to the rack, should be a killer combination.

We better not turn into Utah...

3. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Great observation! but are you sure Drew resembles Stockton? If you are talking about the way they play, not player-player comparison then dismiss what I asked. I think Kenny is a unique pf and he can do well with any pgs in pick-and-roll, not with Drew exclusively.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Jeez, relax! I'm not saying we're just like Utah. They flop WAY better than we do. We gotta teach Drew to flop. With that face, he'd get the call every time.

Also, Kenny needs to learn the jump-shot groin kick.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I have seen Kenny play some good roaming/weak side defense in games, but he doesn't seem to consistently put out the energy that he shows at times on defense. In one game he was getting his hands on a lot of passes and was blocking several shots from behind. He has long arms and seems to be smart (in interviews) but I can see that he needs external motivation to play better.

Two out of our four big men have motivation problems. Cato and Thomas don't seem to be aggressive on a regular basis. Rodgers usually plays with fire, but isn't really consistent enough to start. As for Hamilton, he is the defenition of a work in progress, so I can't really say anything.

Bonus Question: Can anyone think of a player that started his career underachieving and overweight and ended it overachieving and fit. (Barkley was overachieving and overweight at the beginning so he doesn't count) I ask this because I wonder what the possibility of Hamilton turning out good when we have already been down this road once with Stanley Roberts.

[This message has been edited by Doctor Robert (edited December 15, 1999).]

6. Caveman

Caveman Member

Will:
    Doesn't your observation point to the problem of an inept coach? Do you think players under Phil Jackson would be the same way?

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Caveman,

Man, if you want to point the finger at coach you don't need an excuse. Just say he does every thing wrong! Its Rudy's fault this rookie hasn't picked up the system, its his fault Walt isn't motivated enough, its his fault two sandwiches ate three, its his fault their not 22-0, its his fault their missing a lot of freethrows, et al excuses. He is no GOD, but they are barely bb players at the pro level!

Will,

I have seen the same points you make, incl the ones on Francis and picks. Why set them when they aren't used. It would be better just to clear out and give some room to work with. Barkeley could still give them some help/pointers for Thomas like he did for O.

8. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Good observations, Will and others.

I've been missing most of the games lately, so I would like to ask you all a few questions.
    1) Does Thomas hustle back on transaction defense?
    2) Does he run the fast break or he just kind of follow along.
    3) When Francis barked at Thomas, did Thomas show any emotion?
    4) Why do you think Francis doesn't like to use the screens?

9. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I'd take a Malone groin kick if the Rockets could turn into Utah, at least from an execution standpoint. Well, maybe that's a bit overstated.

10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Is it just me or does KT ALWAYS travel, he has not been called but I have most of the games recored(before I record over them) and I watch each game and I rewound and forwarded most of KT's moves and most are travelling, oh well if they don't call it I'm fine with that, whats a few steps amongst freinds???

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Will

I'll add one: Last night Thomas in the low post was shaking and baking off his pivot foot, after all that, went up for the shot to get it swatted right back to him.

It was like the Knick defender was saying, OK when you're done with the shaking, I'm going to block you shot.

He hasn't shown me any plan in the low post. You first must either go around your man, like Othella through the middle, or shoot a turnaround, like Tmass, before small guys like Thomas can shake around and attempt to get someone off balance to shoot right over them or get under their armpits.

In otherwords, if he's expecting the defender to be fooled before he establishes more standard threats, facing someone taller than you in the low post isn't going to get it done in the NBA.

moonbus

the francis refusal of the pick is annoying sometimes, but I have seen him re-use that pick successfully. he seems to like to bring the defender around the pick, then change directions right back through the same pick the other way.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 15, 1999).]

12. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Thomas is certainly not a bust at the 26th pick. He will bring the Rockets positives more than negatives I am sure. He will be a 15 and 10 guy at the end of the season. Pfs that shoot threes are endangered species, in other systems like Utah's or LA's Kenny would be a better fit than in the Rockets. I won't be surprised at teams expressing interest in Thomas at the end of the season. He is a bright spot of the Rockets and Rudy should play him as much as possible.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does Larry Smith still suitup for practice on ocassion? It seems that 15 minutes of an old guy like Larry Smith beating him inside would bring out some fire in KT.

Mango