1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kennedy to retire - USSC will swing even further right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The USSC alone should be reason to vote against Trump.

B-Bob, Rashmon, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

If I was advising Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, I would tell them to hold a press conference tomorrow and say something like the following:

Senator Shumer, you said "you will pay the price" and "won't know what hit you". Why shouldn't I take that as a direct threat to myself, my colleague, our families, and the institution of the Supreme Court? I am now forced to hire additional security because you have ratcheted up the dialogue to the point I have a legitimate concern about our safety. What exactly where you trying to achieve by making such direct threats?

MiddleMan, Nook, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry but are people really accusing Schumer of making a physical threat on them??? That's a bit ridiculous. Shouldn't it be obvious that he is talking politically? I mean if they do overturn abortion there will be a big political price to be paid.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Does the name James Hodgkinson mean anything to you? The liberal Bernie Sanders supporter who shot Representative Steve Scalise at a softball game? What if somebody like James heard Chuck Schumer?

MiddleMan and cml750 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Schumer was wrong to say anything like what he said. No one should target Supreme Court Justices with such statements. Even if Schumer's intentions were different (and it appears Schumer was quoting Kavaugh, his quote follows) and was also obviously speaking towards upcoming votes to weaken women's abortion rights, he should have never personalized his statement by naming the justices. And as I wrote previously, Schumer should have apologized and the Senate should have immediately officially condemned the remarks.

I guess the same question to you... does the name Cesar Sayoc mean anything to you? Seems people on both sides of the political divide should tone down their rhetoric.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How does it compare to this "threat"?

Mr. Trump, writing on Twitter Sunday morning, attacked Mr. Schiff as “a CORRUPT POLITICIAN, and probably a very sick man,” warning, “He has not paid the price, yet, for what he has done to our Country!”

JayGoogle, Sweet Lou 4 2 and B-Bob like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He invented lymphoma.

jiggyfly and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Lol the right owns violence against politicians and threats against those who disagree with. We're talking about a group of people who tie black men to the back of pickup trucks and drag them, or just run over women at rallies.

Let's not forget all the death threats against Schiff and Pelosi or anyone who testified as a witness. They received 100's of death threats - ACTUAL threats many inspired by your fearless leader Trump who loves to stokes the flames of violence.

You are calling the kettle black (or just living in an insane reality)

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Shhh, it's ok for Trump to do that against liberals because liberals are important like conservatives are

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m surprised that Schumer did that. He usually has more sense. Why verbally attack a couple of justices who are still hearing the case?

#4810 Deckard, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    B-Bob and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It was at a political rally. I doubt when he said it he thought it would amount to much

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

He should apologize, and say he should not have said what he said, and stop. He is sounding too trumpy...

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It reminds me of when TX Rep Cain tweeted Beto that his AR-15 was ready for him. Except the roles of who is outraged and who says it was just harmless political rhetoric are reversed.

Anyway, I get what Schumer was trying to express. Even if we take the innocent interpretation of political consequences, he still should not have directed it at individual justices. Justices are apolitical, or at least we pretend they are, and in any case they are themselves immune to political consequences. It will be the country itself that will absorb whatever consequences, not anyone on the Supreme Court. And those 2 would still need 3 other unnamed Justices to change anything. Their culpability is no higher than any other Justice's. And people get real antsy about anyone trying to bully the courts -- if you don't like Trump doing it, you really shouldn't try it yourself. Just a dumb and highly inappropriate move. I'd be screaming bloody murder if Trump had done it (oh wait, he did already).

Nook, Deckard, NewRoxFan and 2 others like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when you've lost Laurence Tribe you know you made a mistake

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Schumer would've been in the clear if he made his veiled threat involving guns.

Then it's all wink wink jokes and liberty like when Tea Partiers dabbled with militarist threats to Obama.

He would've totally flew under the right wing rage radar.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said, JV.

It’s a bit difficult for me to get into D&D or any other forum this morning after a loss like last night. The allergens floating around in Austin right now don’t help. Maybe later.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Lmao Schumer tucked tail and backed down like the flop he is.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Schumer be like:

Astrodome likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...you're saying he should not have implicitly apologized and clarified his remarks? What do you suggest that he do?

Nook likes this.
  20. mick fry

mick fry Member

His apology must have been tucked away somewhere on cnn.com.