1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Kendall Gill to join Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 6, 2000.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From the AP Wire :

------------------------------------
    AUGUST 06, 14:09 EDT

Nets' Gill Says He'll Join Lakers

NEW YORK (AP) — Kendall Gill is willing to give up millions of dollars to join a winner.

The veteran swingman told two New York newspapers he will leave the New Jersey Nets to play for the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers, probably taking a hefty pay cut in the process.

Gill, third on the Nets last season with a 13.1 scoring average, reportedly turned down a one-year, $7 million offer from New Jersey. He told The New York Times and Daily News he would sign for a $2.25 million salary-cap exception with Los Angeles, unless a sign-and-trade deal can be worked out between the clubs.

Lakers spokesman John Black refused to comment Sunday.

``I'm real excited about playing for the Lakers, about being in the purple and gold, about having the chance to win 70 games, about playing with two of the best players in the league, playing in the best system in the league and playing for the best coach in the league,'' Gill said in Sunday's Times.

Gill, the fifth overall pick in the 1990 NBA draft, has played for Charlotte, Seattle and New Jersey, averaging 15.2 points and 3.5 assists for his career.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Where is Gill gonna get playing time? Cut into Kobe's? NOT. Unless Rice is trade, I don't see how Gill fits in.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Rice is good as gone- no chance he'll be back. Actually, if you look at Laker message boards across the internet, the envision Gill as their starting SG and Kobe as their starting PG. Not a smart move IMO but they think it is...

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

4. BobFinn*

Gill and Harper are clones of each other. I guess Phil thinks Harper is on his last legs.

------------------
    ---George Carlin

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Yeah, it's real bizarre, Gill is not only giving up 5 milion a year but alot of minutes.

It would be hard to see Gill playing SF for the Lakers, but maybe Kobe can play the PG, a big risk though.

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Rice is as good as gone, no question about it. He doesn't want to play as the third option, he hates Jackson, and is no good for the system.

Gill would be able to get decent minutes. Remember, Mobley and Anderson are both Shooting Guards, yet both play starter's minutes. When you think about it, the duos presented are both pretty similar. Gill is defensive minded like Anderson, and has the body to be able to play a bit at SF.

Gill would be content with 30 minutes a pop, when considering the type of comments he has made.

The Cat, could you direct me to these boards? I'm interested [​IMG]

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

7. The Cat

Ace- I just took the comments from Laker fans at their ESPN board. I think they also have a board at latimes.com.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 06, 2000).]

8. The Cat

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not at all. When he's content (he suffered from clinical depression for a brief stint in his career) he's a damn good player. It seems his days of bickering with George Karl and squaring off in the lockerroom with Larry Johnson are behind him, and he has matured. I see Gill fitting in at small forward for the Lakers (with the departure of Rice, obviously) making them much tougher. He played small forward for New Jersey when Kittles was healthy, and was very effective. IMO, Gill is amongst the best defenders in the league.

This move scares me, as the Lakers now have two prime time defenders on the perimeter with Gill-Kobe. Add P.J. Brown to that mix and I might have to take back my prediction of the Spurs (with Derek Anderson) running away with the west.

I sure hope Rudy has something big in store, because the league's finest are getting even tougher:

1. Miami: Jones, Mason, Grant?
    2. Spurs: Anderson
    3. Lakers: Gill, Brown? (certainly a power forward in exchange for Rice)
    4. Blazers: Kemp?

------------------
    "I wanna eat his children."

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Cab,

You are right Gill is a great player, if the Nets are anywhere decent they will try and get a sign and trade for Fox maybe or just go for Rice, but then Lakers couldn't really get Brown.

I thought Gill's problem with Jersey, apart from the losing is that he really dislikes playing SF???

If they get both Gill and Brown, they are very scary defensively.

What about the idea of kobe at the point, what do you think???

Also whats with the talk of Grant going to Miami, how can this happen, will he sign for a 2.25 mill exemption???

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charlotte is claiming PJ is staying (which means Coleman or Campbell is gone). Let's hope so, just so the Lakers don't get him.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

The rumor I've heard is the following deal will probably go down tomorrow:

Lakers get: Kendall Gill, Antonio Davis
    Raptors get: Glen Rice, Derek Fisher/Jamie Fieck
    Nets get: Doug Christie, Michael Stewart

------------------
    Nuggets4
    The Pinnacle - Rising to the Top With the Denver Nuggets
    http://www.NugsPinnacle.com

13. BobFinn*

That ain't fair!!!

I'll believe it when I see it.

------------------
    ---George Carlin

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Nuggets4,

Do you have a link to that?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Smegg:

I actually think it would be in the Lakers best interests to play Gill at the shooting guard and Kobe Bryant at the small forward. I think that during the span of 20-30 or so games in 98-99 while Fox was injured, pre-Rice trade, that Kobe played the small forward, he actually played his best basketball. He was closer the basket, thus he averaged around 10 rebounds during that span. Either way, the Lakers should have flexibility at the 2-3 with Fox, Bryant, Gill, and Harper.

Agreed.

Under Phil Jackson there is no real "point guard", so I don't think it really matters who they have listed as the point guard. You'll see Harper and Bryant both bringing the ball, similar to Pippen/Jordan sharing the responsibility. Once the 4th quarter rolls it around, they'll put the ball in Kobe's hands.

If Grant went to Miami, it would be via the exception. I don't think this is just a case of Grant trying to get leverage...I think he really wants to go to Miami. He will get starter minutes on a contender, and then will get paid the next season. Grant to Miami would give the Heat a power frontcourt of Mourning-Grant-Mason. No layups.

Nuggets4:
    I won't believe that until I see it go down. I find it hard to believe that the Nets and Raptors would help the Lakes solidify their frontline, only to lose Glen Rice; a player they don't want/need.

------------------
    "I wanna eat his children."

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I find it hard to believe too. I got it from the Lakers guy at Rivals.com. He's very reliable (I know you guys don't like Rivals, but some of us are ok people! [​IMG] ). Anyway, his sources are usually pretty reliable.

Like you guys though, I'm hoping it doesn't happen.

------------------
    Nuggets4
    The Pinnacle - Rising to the Top With the Denver Nuggets
    http://www.NugsPinnacle.com

[This message has been edited by Nuggets4 (edited August 07, 2000).]

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Rice is destined to do a sign-n-trade and his destination is the biggest question. Who holds the most power in this situation?

1. Rice
    2. Lakers
    3. The teams that would trade for Rice

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good Lord, if they get Antonio Davis and Gill and give up Rice and scrubs, the West is in for trouble.

------------------
    Just shut up and post