1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Sampson discusses the Rockets' growth on offense, the Jeremy Lin-James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

After readings Sampsons comments it reminds me of what Marc Cuban said.

"Yeah, he absolutely can. He’s that good. He’s got that type of talent. But, part of what made Steve Nash great, when Nash went from the Mavericks to the Suns and became MVP, it was a system that he just excelled at. So, Jeremy has got to play in the right environment with the right players and he can be a star."

Hopefully everything figures itself out in regards to a correct balance between the two but Sampsons comments don't sound positive.

2. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Well, I saw it with Woodson in NY and it's the same thing here. There's a prejudice against Lin that's followed him his entire career. I can tell you where I think that prejudice stems from but I'll just end up getting banned because it's not a popular/politically correct thing to say.

All I can say is, that he hasn't been given opportunity to excel on this team thus far and that what little opportunities he has had as a PG he has done well with.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

And why would Rockets fans to **** on Lin, exactly? I don't quite understand why some of you(?) are so insecure about Lin. No real Rockets fan wants him not to succeed, either.
    There may be a few "haters" or trolls here and there, but for all I care those are pretty easy to ignore.

The offense is what it is. Lin should get to handle the ball some more and the Rockets will have to figure out a way to use him and Harden better, both together and individually, but so far, even when Lin has had a chance to make plays he hasn't exactly produced.

4. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Prejudice didn't cause Lin to airball a wide open shot to seal the game away. All that aside, I think as he approaches his first full NBA season Lin and Rox will find a way to come out on top.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with everything your saying on this topic. Anyway I personally just want to talk basketball not fans. When has he had a chance to make plays though? Cause frankly he had a chance to do that in the first two games & he produced & hasn't really had a chance since then.

6. mirus

mirus Member

Thanks.Perhaps I'm overworrying it.this team doesnt have good shooters to begin with.I really hope everything works out

7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Because when you care more about the success of one player over a conglomerate (such as a team/city/cause) your thoughts and posts are agenda-fied and one tends to retaliate and lash out when that agenda is threatened.

It's truly ironic on how some fans here represent the antithesis of what Lin stands for.

8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

You're right. But when he get's a fifty page hate thread because he missed a spot-up 3... that's a lot of vitriol directed and it's bound to get people's backs up.

That's not true though is it?

In game two he has 21/10/7. Since then his ball handling has been severely limited.

Anytime he's not standing in the corner and actually making plays and run the offense he and the team look a lot better.

He had 8 assists vs the pistons last game with very limited minutes and the offense ran so much better when he was the playmaker.

I think he's produced as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

9. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Well I'm not going to say Lin is a great spot-up 3 point shooter.

But do you think the fact that he barely touched the ball in the fourth quarter might have had anything to do with him missing that 3?

I think if he was playmaking and attacking and in flow, he might make that shot. But to be out in the cold for five minutes, then just spot up and hit? That's not his game. If it was he'd be a coming off the bench to hit 3 impact player like Novak or Delfino.

10. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Well I know it's not in his nature but he's gotta get that attitude. He had come too far to let a scrub coach like sampson to take it all away. Lin needs to play his way and if Sampson doesn't like it he can sit Jeremy and demand the FO to trade him.
    So he can wither away in the current system or make the coaching staff plan the game strategy fit his strengths as a player. His fans view him as a superstar in the making.. But I get the feeling that he still feels like a role player who needs to be docile.

11. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

He is who is he. His attitude is part of what makes him so great. It's one of his greatest strengths. But often, our greatest strength can also be our greatest weakness.

12. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

He thinks leading his team is going ISO and not deferring to anyone. He thinks he has to be the man to take the last shot. Harden is mistake if he views himself as the Kobe or lebron of the league. Now he made few important passes going down the stretch in last night game but we saw once again harden take a poor last shot to end the game. That is not leading. That is selfish ass play.

1 person likes this.
  13. split41

split41 Member

So I guess Harden is the PG now...

14. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

If Sampson wants harden to be the PG then I'd rather Lin come of the bench. Let TD play SG while Harden is running the point and let Lin play PG with the bench. That was Lin can be more efficient and Harden can play less minutes.

Standing him in the corner to shoot threes while Harden runs the point is a complete waste of him on the team.

15. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

But I think this is partly Lin's fault. He thinks being sampson's little biatch is the right way to be a team player - even when he knows tha the can much better an confidently when he has more freedoms to do his thing.
    So he needs to stop being so "yes sir" and express to these idiots how he feels and how they are hampering his game. What is sampson going to do sit him?
    Sampson hasn't given the respect Jeremy deserves despite the respect Jeremy had given him although he is a freaking nobody. So it is now time for him to demand his place on the team. This is a players league. Stars run this league. Jeremy needs to step up like the superstar he is bound to be.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How so? Who else was open on that play?

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

It does seem that Lin is trying real hard to follow every coach's system. This is one of his greatest strengths, but can also be a weakness if the other players do not buy in (or if the coach has a crappy system). The problem is that you are in a rock and a hard place if you don't do what your "boss" says. Maybe you need to go to your boss' boss.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I only watched roughly the end of the third and the fourth quarter. I cannot understand with the lead the Rockets pulled Asik who was doing great and than though they could win by just outscoring the Heat. All the offensive rebounds and layups they got in the fourth quarter killed us.

19. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

But do u think there is any way out of this predicament? Is he just going to listen to sampson and Mchale knowing that he is faltering in the current system? Now don't have to be an ass and act all crazy like Dousins but he needs to tell Sampson directly to his face that this is not his game. He just can't wait for morey to come and rescue him. Being assertive and being nice are too different things. I'm sure his Harvard education has taught him that.

20. nono

nono Member

Not only that, but why wasn't Parsons guarding Lebron instead of Morris at the end ? He was doing a much better job initially.