1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Cato Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by poprocks, Mar 18, 2008.

1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I loved Cato, but that's one of the things that really sticks out about him. All of those times he fumbled the ball under the basket on what should have been an easy dunk/layup.

I don't think it's fair to blast him for his contract. I can't recall too many other people rejecting Shaq on back-to-back shots in his prime. He earned hazard pay.

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

Just need him in limited minutes to hold down the fort. Rebounds, putbacks, and shotblocking, that is all we need him to do. Besides, I'm kinda wondering what Cato could do in the Adleman offense. Completely different from Rudy T's iso offense and JVG set offense.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

Basically be a larger version of Chuck Hayes.

4. kwng

kwng Member

I think Cato is slightly better than Chuck from offensive skills perspective
    as I do not recall him repetitvely miss layups right under the rim. However,
    Chuck is definitely more hard working and hustle than him. He need serious
    motivation to play well as what JVG did to him before he went to Orlando.
    Anyone knows what JVG did??

5. kwng

kwng Member

repetitvely = repetitively

6. spysta

spysta Member

This is sopha king we todded

Cato wont help much, but he is tall and im assuming he can still block shots

We can get him a 10 day contract

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

Cato almost made it onto an NBA team this year with the Celtics. Got cut in favor of Esteban Batista. He got waived from the Knicks in 2007 because..well just look at that Knicks roster. They are loaded. Isiah and Dolan just don't have any idea how to assemble a team.

Don't know what kind of shape he's in now but if he's in good shape, I think he could help.

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2007/09/big-men-working-out-for-celtics.html
    Former Celtic Eric Williams, journeymen big men Kelvin Cato and Linton Johnson, and Esteban Batista, the first Uruguayan to ever play in the NBA, all worked out for the Celtics yesterday.

All are expected to continue their workouts today, with coach Doc Rivers and his staff expected to invite at least one and quite possibly two to training camp.

A team source stressed last night that none of these players have been offered guaranteed contracts, though Batista is reportedly demanding exactly that in exchange for a training camp invitation.

Batista, a young power forward who played two uneventful seasons for Atlanta, opened a lot of eyes one month ago when he earned MVP honors in the Tournament of the Americans in Las Vegas. This bullish post player led the tournament in rebounding.

He has drawn interest from a number of teams.

Williams, who was traded from Toronto to San Antonio in the summer of 2006, was traded last February to Charlotte, which waived the defense-oriented swingman a month later.

Spurs brought in free agent Glen "Big Dog" Robinson for their playoff run. That worked out well although I cannot figure out for the life of me why no other NBA team gave him a look after that last season. He was productive for the Spurs and scored and rebounded at a nice clip. So getting Cato would not be unprecedented.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Rockets need someone like Connor Atchley.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Please, no more people that can't shoot free throws.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

His best year was the year before JVG came.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

He does have the athleticism to shine when he wants to. Thing about Cato is that he either needs someone riding his butt or he kinda cruises. If the game is a really big game, he'll come out and play really hard. That's when he has his best games. Since every single game is a playoff game right now with a short season, I think you'd get his best.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you even read what you post? Potential and a good preseason got him that contract.

He had motivation issues when he was making some really nice money. Why would he become inspired to play at an acceptable level for a salary that is going to be quite a bit less than what he was making several years ago?

13. ACL1

ACL1 Member

That's ok. THat's all i have seen Tyson Chandler do anyway. and no noe complains about that.

14. ACL1

ACL1 Member

i think kevin willis said working with him was as frustrating as lighting a wet match, or something like that.
    he did well under JVG with Cato standards.

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't care, like anybody except maybe MH is going to stay if he's signed to a 10 day...

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Does anyone know if Pig Miller is available?

17. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Cato got worse and worse ever since he left the Rockets. Anyone knows his starts at NY? his profile on NBA.com says "No Data"

18. Jd1

Jd1 Member

I mean stats.

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Two sandwiches.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

That would be No and I've stopped cursing or that would have been you know what No!!!