1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep schools closed until a Vaccine is ready!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So you’re taking the position that hospital workers don’t get n95 masks? That’s idiotic.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its not permanent or till a vaccine. They are going to phase in face to face interaction

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

In the public schools I went to this would be considered light hallway traffic.

jiggyfly and malakas like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not from what I saw. They don't all have those masks. THATS FACT

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look, election is in November and the polls don't look good for Trump.

DaDakota and Rileydog like this.
  6. Rileydog

so you’re willing to have teachers and staff roll the dice with surgical masks as opposed to N95. Magnanimous of you.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In my district they won't even start in the fall.

8. Rileydog

if you don’t mind me asking, what school district?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro

Not all health care workers have those masks. We aren't asking teachers to work with sick people. Schools are controlled environments. Its working in other countries

Plenty other people have been working in public.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you... what complicates it is that the first world has it under control but not America... it is exploding in America... so it is rightfully a tougher call here.

There will be a lot of home schooling in the USA and distance learning because the administration has failed at COVID... and those kids will fall behind.

I am anticipating my child going back. We discussed just employing a private tutor for 8 hours a day but that hurts the communal aspect. I am concerned that we do not know the long term health impact but there is no clean answer.

11. Rileydog

this construct might work if we weren’t dealing with covid spreading like wildfire across Texas and Harris county in particular. Other countries are not attempting this scale of school openings with this trajectory of covid.

this is the kind of thinking that got us into our current state

malakas and Nook like this.
  12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thats the problem... The US and especially Texas is no where near those results...

If Texas was close to those results, I would be on board with you.

T_Man

malakas and arkoe like this.
  14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

What a farce. Each school will shut down anyway the first time a student, teacher or staff member tests positive. I doubt any school can make it a month.

R0ckets03, arkoe and T_Man like this.
  15. Rileydog

do they support reopening in a place like Harris County? Yeah, that’s a much harder question and inconvenient to get into all of that when you’re looking for the right sound bite.

16. Rileydog

@pgabriel @Commodore

show me a country or state that has opened schools for live learning where covid is spreading like it is in Harris County. I’ll happily stand corrected, but I have found exactly zero examples of this being attempted or going well.

arkoe likes this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I guarantee you well-off parents who can work from home will not be hitting the pause button. They will be helping their kids with distance learning, supplementing it with extra work, and possibly even paying for tutoring. Schools are saying they are not dumbing down the material and that they still plan on meeting their state's standards for education during this time. Doesn't really sounds like schools are hitting the pause button either.

Disadvantaged kids whose parents both work inflexible jobs and live in less than hospitable conditions with poor Internet service will be hitting the pause button. I agree with you on that. Theoretically, these kids are already behind, and will become further behind.

What I think is stupid is saying "well, all kids are in the same boat." That is so far from the truth it's laughable. The kids were already in a different boat before all this happened. Now some of them would also have a hole in it and be taking on water.

I'm not saying we should definitely go back to school, but we need to be honest that this will have a negative effect on poor/minority kids and start making contingency plans to address it rather than brushing it away as "well,all kids are in the same boat." Closing the achievement gap is pretty much step 1 in any reality-based reform effort to reduce the disparities between the haves and have-nots, and this has potential to be a generational setback in that regard. Also, no...I don't think many underprivileged kids (especially young ones) will be able to easily catch up in a couple of months. Seems a bit naive.

#119 DCkid, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    joshuaao, DaDakota, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LAUSD