1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep or Kill? ZBS and Wade's 3-4 variant

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Dec 6, 2013.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see what they do. Best coach, regardless of scheme would be the best choice for the organization, but there's always a temptation to look for the swifter rebound (matching the schemes)

We're already dismal about our offensive line....but the task of improving it becomes even more uphill if you go away from ZBS with our power-light lineman.

I don't think odds are great that Wade Phillips stays on. He won't like being passed over, even if they do hire another offensive-minded coach that would invite him to stay on (neither of which are the most likely scenario).

The nice thing on defense is I don't think you have major fit issues either way you go. We're already in a pseudo-3-4, you just need a real nose tackle and improve the weak spots that already exist. If you move to 4-3, Mitchell makes for a much better DT, Watt can be moved inside or outside, Smith's contract is up or you keep him as an end, Mercilous may fit better as a DE, Reed may be better as a 4-3 OLB, and Cushing's 2nd knee surgery won't be as massive an issue if he becomes a 4-3 ILB. I think your only big downside here is that the 3-4 is a far superior defense in the current pass-heavy NFL.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

ZBS is dead.

The 3-4 will likely live on.

Not sure if it will be through Wade though.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I was thinking the same thing. Personally, i would keep the 3-4 defense. The switch allowed the Texans to actually have a better overall defense when looking at a more overall scheme. The key however will be how the Texans draft for this position. In this defense, the LB are so important. They have to be fast, able to cover and able to stop the run.

The situation is more about the ZBS. What are we gonna do with the personnel we have drafted, and are currently playing? Can any of these guys transition well to a power run scheme? What does that mean for our RBs? This is such a huge issue once a new mgmt takes over.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think we should keep the 3-4 idk about the zone blocking... I actually wouldn't mind Wade staying on as the D coordinator I just don't know how realistic that is.

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

John Clayton said that Mike Shannahan could be a darkhorse for the texans job lol... i agree with donnymost, the zbs is dead and has been figured out... it will be intresting to see RG3 in a new offensive system that suits his talents.. if Mike is hired by the Texans

6. basketballholic

If ZBS is gone what does that mean to Foster/Tate?

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You guys are crazy that think ZBS is dead. LOL

You foolishly think ZBS is run by only Kubiak and Shanny. Green Bay, Seattle and Kansas City are all built on the ZBS.

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I'd like to see a 4-3. Clowney, Watt, Free agent, Mercilus. Cush wslb, free agent mlb, brooks reed sslb.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

ZBS is not dead. It's just easy to stop when your team's qb does not strike fear in any defense whatsoever.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

When I hear "ZBS", I think more than just size-style of linemen, I think offensive philosophy altogether. Kubiak was the purest ZBS coach in the league. So, compared to what will come next, the ZBS as Kubiak ran it will largely be gone.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think 3-4 is the better defense generally, I don't care either way as long as we win. CBS works fine if you have a coach that is more creative

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Tate's gone for sure. We're not going to break the bank for Tate.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Packers run a pure ZBS and so does Seattle.

Indy might as well. Miami runs a quasi ZBS.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Also, when I say "dead", I don't mean league-wide. I mean Houston's version of it (as was the topic of the OP).

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Takes up entirely too much cash to sustain this defense.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that this is the consensus for the fans.

I would not be surprised if Wade gets the HC job, since McNair likes him.

#16 No Worries, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. Fantasma Negro

The zone blocking is fine, we need better linemen. And Wades system works with proper personnel. If you switch out Sharpton with Cush, J. Jo with a competent corner and switch Manning with a legit safety teams would actually respect this defense not jus J.J. personnel matters guys, you can't blame the coach all the time

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I agree.

The Texans no longer have the OL personnel to run the ZBS. The Texans will have to address the LG and the RT and maybe the RG positions in the offseason. With so much much turnover, I do not see the need for keeping the ZBS or parts thereof.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think enough people here really understand the ZBS to write it off as the main problem with this team. Yes, undersized blockers can excel in it because it relies more on mobility and quickness than simple size/strength.

However, it's not like its the run and shoot that has a noticeable weakening of the offense in order to get more receivers out there. Personnel/execution obviously has to improve to run any sort of elite offensive system.

The current 3-4 is limited by the quality of its OLB. If they can upgrade those, then keep it.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member