1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Keep Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bandwagoner, May 6, 2013.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Will be much cheaper than Delfino or Garcia. Plus he is younger and it would give you options on trading Lin if Patrick Beverley continues to improve.

Brooks is a better 3pt% than Lin and Beverley which is what the team needs. Not close the to defensive player or rebounder Beverley is, but if TRob improves he could cover that up and Brooks could keep the floor spaced better.

Plus 2.5 million just isn't that much, and he rarely gets injured.

2. ERC

ERC Member

Russell Westbrook never missed a single game in college and in the NBA... until Game 2. Besides, counting on TRob to cover Brooks is a HUGE "if".

3. Bandwagoner

Westbrook and Brooks are proven to be durable. Lin and Beverley are not.

Time to find out about TRob and are other forwards. Don't need vets sitting in front of them next year. You need solid pg play to really evaluate guys to make sure the offense is run correctly. I don't want to see Delfino at the 4 ever again.

4. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Brooks definitely appeared to still have "it" in that OKC series.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree! He can break down the defense at will which is very important since we are stagnant a lot on defense.

7. ERC

ERC Member

That was my point though. Even a durable player like Westbrook could go down just like that.

I'm not against keeping Brooks; good value for his relatively cheap contract. But to count on the development of one player to cover the weakness of the other doesn't sound like a solid strategy. And what happens when you play Brooks alongside Harden, who also plays little D?

For all the flaws Lin has, he is still the best playmaker out of the 3. And his 3p% in Mar/Apr (38%) was actually higher than Brooks' season & career average (36% & 37%, respectively).

It'd be great if we could keep all 3. If not, I'd think Lin/PB is still a better combo over PB/Brooks or Lin/Brooks.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's a horrible defender. I'll trade him for a second round draft pick.

9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

fixed*

10. CCM721

CCM721 Member

If he only has one month of higher 3p% percentage than Brooks ENTIRE career, then that hardly sounds like a testament to his shooting.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im not sure how many times this needs to be said but -

If the Rockets want to be players for Dwight or CP3 they must decline the team options for Garcia, Delfino, AND Brooks before June 30th. That's before the July start of free agency.

The only way they exercise any of their options is if they know for a fact that they will be able to trade them either in the deal or before they sign Dwight/CP3.

I dont think Morey is willing to gamble on missing out on Dwight Howard in order to keep any of these guys unless he gets strong word from both of their agents that they definitely 100% are not going to be interested in signing with Houston come July.

Id love to keep all three guys, but its just not going to happen. The only guy I could see being re-signed under a different contract after he hits free agency and the Rockets make any other moves would be Garcia.

Plus, I would assume that the Rockets are already scouting both the D-League, college, and overseas for an up and coming PG that is under the radar that they can bring in on a rookie minimum contract.

12. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

unless we get something cheaper in the 2 round , keep him (at vet min.)

13. Bandwagoner

Right, I am pretty sure they would also have to get rid of TRob (at least)to offer the MAX this offseason. I think getting one of those guys is a longshot at best. My guess and hope is they build assets, assess talent, and go after Lamarcus or Love during or after next year.

In the meantime good, low turnover pg play is important to develop the pieces we have.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Meh I really don't about the third point guard. I would rather let Brooks walk and go hard after Paul or Howard. Further, it is possible Lull will be coming over or the Rockets draft a player like Craft that gets the job.

I really just don't think the point guard situation is set in stone long term.

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I like what Brooks brought in the playoff series, and I hope he is with the Rockets next season -- but I don't think they should or will pick up the 2.5 million dollar option. They can let him go and get him back for a lot less than that. I think that option was only there in case he really went off during the end of the year or playoffs, but that did not occur.

Truth is, the Rockets might be able to get him back for the league minimum. Which, based on his turbulent last few years and how many players we still have under contract, is about what he is worth per se and to us.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Big Brooks fan...he's lightning quick with a high 3pt% but
    we can't afford to keep him or any of our 3pt shooters......:(

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They have chased Dwight Howard now for how many years? There are research papers written on Morey's Sloan Conference website that go deep into the analytics of the "Dwight Affect."

Also in the last few months its been reported that Houston definitely is an option for Dwight, and multiple commentators think Dwight will be a Rocket next year..... Again I dont think the Rockets are going to pass on the opportunity to get Dwight Howard just to keep Brooks and the other team option guys.

As much as alot of people would rather see them wait for either Kevin Love or LMA, Morey has always said that when a star player comes available, regardless of position, you have to make the move whenever its an option.

They are definitely going after Dwight.

And yes they would have to either trade Robinson, or 2 of the 3 out of Motiejunas, Jones, and White to make up the additional cap space needed. Shouldn't be that difficult. Even if Robinson is as "busty" as folk like Carl Herrera think he is, you'd have to think if worse came to worst, they could unload both Motiejunas and Jones for 2nd round picks in a heartbeat if needed.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's probably getting traded around draft night. He seems to be worth his $2.4M or $2.5M price tag for next year but 1) the team wants maximum cap room with which to chase a star free agent, and 2) they need to decide on his option (as well as the Garcia option and the guaranteed portion of Delfino's deal) by June 30 so there is pretty much no way the team keeps him beyond that date.

In fact, I can see Morey giving up that Phoenix 2nd round pick on draft night just to dump Thomas Robinson so they can have the sufficient cap room with which to chase Dwight.

#18 Carl Herrera, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  19. AFS

AFS Member

Beverley shot 37% from 3 this year, which is about the same as what Aaron Brooks shoots, so Aaron Brooks doesn't keep the floor spaced any better than what we get with Bev.

Brooks is a huge defensive liability, and while the backcourt could make up for it, the defense as a whole will be stronger if the Bigs don't have to be helping the guards out as much.

Brooks's value lies in his ability to create his own shot. But I'm not sure if that's valuable enough to make up for the negatives he brings on the court.

20. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

3pgs on a roster is a must IMO. Even if a SG gets injured, a pg can fill in.