1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard is the Best Player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dmo for 3mo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Lmao keep sleeping on Kawhi. Some of you guys talking about him like he's some b-level allstar. That's fine keep your head in the sand. He has reached superstar status in ability just not media attention.This isn't about what he did against the rockets. How about the last 2 weeks he has single handedly saved the spurs ass. Just wait for the playoffs. This season is his coming out party.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Leonard is great. I'm still waiting for an answer on how he is better than LeBron.

heypartner and roslolian like this.
  3. Icehouse

At the 55 game mark OKC was 31-24, Utah was 34-21, LAC was 34-21 and Memphis was 32-23. OKC went 4-1 over the 56-60 game span and only made up 1 game. And the only reason it was that close for the Clippers was due to the CP3 injury. OKC really hasn't sniffed HC for most of the season.

That's like saying it was possible for SA to catch GS for the top seed since they were only 2-3 games behind. Possible, sure. GS wasn't in any threat to lose that spot until Durant got hurt though.

Agreed, but he hasn't been a real threat to finish top 4 all season.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

SA overtaking a healthy GS team was possible, but highly unlikely.

After 60 games, it wasn't unlikely that OKC could take the #4 seed. After all, LAC, the Jazz, and Grizzlies have all lost games against questionable opponents. The Clippers (with Paul) have lost against the Pelicans, Bucks, Detroit, Brooklyn, and OKC. The Jazz have lost against Portland, Charlotte, Denver, Miami, Sacramento, and Minnesota. Memphis has lost against OKC, Brooklyn, the Pelicans, Portland, Orlando, Milwaukee, and the Knicks.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Great. If he gets 4 MVPs and three rings then maybe you can say he's the best player in the NBA.

6. Icehouse

OKC overtaking a healthy Clippers team was just as unlikely.

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

So this is what an MVP does? Takes a game off for rest? LOL no way. James Harden doesn't take games off! That's the real MVP

Stormy1234 and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

OTH if Harden or Westbrick strings together some more stellar performances in marquee matchups, Kawhi will have no chance because the stars of those two guys have already risen.

Risen Star>Rising Star

Look, if Kawhi was really the deserving MVP then he should've been on the spotlight since day 1, it's not like SaS is an unknown team they have a bigger reputation and brand than OKC at this point. If you need half the season and injury to Kevin freaking Durant just so you can be in the MVP conversation then you are not the MVP, the MVP are the two guys who have been seen as MVPs since day 1.

If Kawhi destroys everyone in the playoffs then he can be called the best player in the NBA. Since he hasn't done that yet why should he be the best player in the NBA? Anybody who destroys everyone deserves to the best player in the NBA, if Ryan Anderson scores 60 pts on 90% shooting every game in the playoffs then he will be the best player in the NBA doesn't mean he's the best player now.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

weak. Lebron has been in the finals for 5 years straight before he started taking games off. This dude has been to just 1 and he's already resting? b**** please.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

That's stupid as hell. It took Lebron years before he started resting. But....... Kawhi is resting already? I would take his ass out of MVP contention for this act alone.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Given that a fully healthy Clippers team had already lost to Milwaukee, Detroit, and OKC, after 60 games, the odds of OKC passing LAC would've been much higher than SAS passing a healthy GSW team.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Harden took Kawhi's whole life . . . Kawhi had to give up one of his nine lives to win the other nite
    He to give it everything and then some . . . . ..
    but
    For Harden . . .it was merely Monday.

Rocket River

Stormy1234 and DreamShook like this.
  13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Normal person: Kawhi is an elite player who deserves MVP CONSIDERATION.

Kawhi lover: LOL idk why you keep treating him like an average player.

[​IMG]

heypartner and DreamShook like this.
  14. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

He would if he played for Gregg Popovich

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kawhi is one of the best players in the NBA, no doubt. This year's playoffs will go a long way towards determining where he ranks in that group of the best. Near the top with Lebron? Or near the bottom of that best group.

He has saved the Spurs the last few weeks, but on the other hand, I firmly believe if you replace Kawhi with an average SF, the Spurs are still a 50 win team.

I think he'll continue to be great, but he won't sustain quite this level of amazingness offensively. But its certainly possible he can... OR he can get better... because that's basically what he has done since day 1, get better. He's increased his ppg average 4-5 points each of the last 3 years... why can't he take it up another level to the 30 ppg average? I mean it doesn't seem like he should be able to, but he keeps proving his doubters wrong. If I'm pointing to reasons I think it won't happen -he's not the ball-handling playmaker that Lebron is, or of course Harden or Westbrook. He's probably even below KD in that department. But again, he can keep getting better.

The taking games off thing though is ridiculous. Not that I think its the wrong move for Pop. Just that it has to be accounted for. To me it speaks as much to how much "benefit" Kawhi gets for being drafted into the perfect system and culture like that.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Can you give an example of an "average SF"?

Also, you'd essentially be saying that the Spurs system is so dominant that a team of non all-stars could still in 50 games in the west...

17. Icehouse

Negative. The Clippers are 30-12 when CP3 plays, and he came back at game 58. That's a 71% clip and a 58 game win pace. That's not even considering the games Blake missed. I repeat:

OKC was never a threat to break a top 4 seed.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's retroactively give MVP to 2013 Paul George.

Guy was a good defender. Not a spot defender like LeBron Lames.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And I listed some of the questionable teams (Milwaukee/Detroit/OKC) that beat a fully healthy LAC team. In other words, they've proven that they can lose against inferior competition. At the 60 game mark, OKC was 35-25. LAC was 36-24. A difference of 1 game.

Before Kevin Durant got hurt, GSW was 50-9. After 59 games, SAS was 46-13. A difference of 4 games.

And you think the odds of OKC surpassing LAC at that time were the same as SAS surpassing GSW? I know this is a stupid argument we're having, but still.....you're wrong.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe Trevor Ariza a true this point but I'd have to think more. Trevor certainly isn't below average but doesn't seem much above average anymore either.

And... yes. Let's not pretend that the SPurs consist of Kwahi and a bunch of scrubs. They do have other really good players including a bunch of savvy experienced past all stars, 3&D type guys and a solid bench. And yes above all that's at this point I think Pop, his staff and he organizational culture elevates this parts.

Kwahi takes that and makes them championship worthy... which is a huge leap from a 50 win 4/5 seed type team