1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard for MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Feb 13, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

The MVP focus has been between Harden and Westbrook. But one person that is overlooked is Leonard.

I think of all the players, he might be the most deserving.

He has amazing stats while still playing teamball, not ballhog chuckster or heroball. He plays hard on both ends of the floor and takes the toughest defensive assignment and yet rarely takes off plays to conserve energy for scoring.

He is also a great, low key, very fundamental player. He is zero drama. He is in fact the perfect heir to Duncan!

I think Leonard needs to be considered for MVP.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

yep. Agreed. Perfect characteristics for a MVP.

Not Signed,

90% of Former MVP's

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not a big fan of Kashi.

Quality ingredients that help you become a winner I'm sure, but too bland and fundamental for me. Need to spice it up.

Rocket River, JumpMan and hakeem94 like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Even though you posted this in the correct forum, it still is disappointing to read with such obvious passion on your part.

Relative to the content, I just don't know if I can overlook Pop and the Spurs culture impact here. Besides the fact the he is statistically having a worse season than any of the other top MVP contenders, defense excluded, he just doesn't feel nearly as valuable to the Spurs, or the league, as their coach, culture, and roster as a whole. If I'm trying to emulate the Spurs, it's not "go get a Duncan, or go get a Kwahi".... it's go get a Popovich. Dude should win COTY every year.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Before we consider this, how many triple doubles does Kawhi Leonard have?

Hui, roslolian, vtjsr2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Deserving to be in the conversation? Sure, simply because there aren't all that many candidates for the award to begin with. But MOST deserving?? Not even close. One simple factor to consider is usage. James Harden and Russell Westbrook have the ball in their hands literally EVERY SINGLE PLAY. That's a burden VERY few players have to shoulder on a night-in, night-out basis, and frankly, 95% of players WOULDN'T be able to shoulder it. You say that Kawhi doesn't have to take defensive plays off as if you're implying that he takes on the same kind of responsibilities that Harden and Westbrook do offensively. However, he doesn't, so the argument really holds no water. The second Kawhi was expected to bring the ball up and facilitate for the rest of the team on every single possession, that's exactly when we'd see his defensive efficiency plummet. And, in all honesty, if we're going to include Kawhi into the conversation, we should probably start including Isaiah Thomas as well. Either way, it's Harden>Westbrook>>>>>Kawhi>everybody else.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Quiet Kawhi & the Spurs - always overlooked.

Top 5 on my imaginary ballot for sure.

It'll be too bad for the Harden/Westbrook loser. Don't think you can give it to anyone else besides those two this year.

[​IMG]

Tha_Dude and BigMaloe like this.
  8. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

I'm never taking a coach over a superstar in the NBA. This is a league where Mike Brown had multiple 50 and 60+ win seasons while coaching his team to the finals. Hell, Erik Spoelstra went to the finals 4 consecutive times. What do they have in common? They both coached Lebron James. Popovich while undeniably a great coach is quickly becoming overrated, people forget he was 17-47 before Duncan came through the door, not to mention he's had the luxury of coaching 3 hall of famers for their entire careers, Robinson for 7 years and a steady supply of good role players supplied to him by one of the shrewdest front offices in the league.

9. Wylo

Wylo Member

Agree with OP. The only player that I would not be upset about winning MVP over Harden would be Kawhi. Absolute monster on both ends, to go along with an excellent team record. There's really no argument against it.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

LOL cant be srs

11. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Yeah, I also give more credit to MJ and pippen for the bulls dynasty than PJ, crazy I know.

12. Garner

Garner Member

Nice try, Kahwi.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I just enjoy reading how much you gush over Kawhi and the spurs. It's refreshing here at a rockets fan forum to have fellow fans from other teams come over and contribute every once and a while. Kinda like @what and @swyyyguy

Tha_Dude likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not disputing you need great players to win.
    Certainly, Kwahi deserves to be mentioned and finish high in the MVP voting.
    But he absolutely has benefited enormously from Pop and the Spurs culture.

15. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

I really hope the Rockets can reach 2nd place by season's end. I'm eager to see what drivel the media can write up in an effort to not give Harden the MVP.

FAKE NEWS!

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Spurs system > Kawhi

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

I doubt he'll ever get MVPs-- of the regular season. I would be surprised if he doesn't earn some more finals MVPs.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Maybe. Then you realize that the Spurs are only 2.5 games ahead of Houston with a superior constructed team and the GOAT NBA coach.

nickb492 likes this.
  19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He'll get defensive player of the year

20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I'll agree with you that Harden and WB are the 2 leading MVP candidates. But I don't subscribe to the usage argument (even if it is relevant in JH & RB's cases). By that argument a PG should win MVP every single year. Not to mention that both Houston and OKC are built around the 2 players mentioned.
    I don't agree either about lack of candidates this season for MVP. So far I think Harden, Westbrook, Thomas, Leonard, Durant and even LeBron (if you don't consider rested games) all could have a case for MVP.
    But it's hard for me to take the rose colored glasses off and I agree with you that it's Harden over Westbrook.