1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kate Spade Found Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/05/us/kate-spade-dead/index.html

New York (CNN)Kate Brosnahan Spade, the fashion designer and businesswoman, hanged herself with a scarf in an apparent suicide Tuesday at a New York City apartment, according to a New York Police Department source.

A suicide note was found, a second NYPD source said, adding that the call came in at 10:30 a.m. Spade was found by her housekeeper, hanged by a scarf she allegedly had tied to a doorknob, the second source said.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Hanging seems to be the chosen method lately. Robin Williams, Chris Cornell, and Chester Bennington.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think it's because they find it easier to deal with and they don't want to have someone clean up blood. Sad really. I mean when I had the urge that's how I thought of it.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Serious question....how do you hang yourself from a doorknob unless you are a foot tall? Don't you have to be suspended in air? Not to make light of it or turn this into a how to kill yourself discussion, but I always wondered how people were able to find structures in their house to hang themselves on that would support their weight. Looks like I don't really know how it works.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ok, I just researched it. Lean forward until you pass out and let gravity take care of the rest. Seems like an awful/prolonged way to go.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Just read that 2 other high profile designers, one was Alexander McQueen, hung themselves in recent years.

Maybe they're finding something 'poetic' (hate to use that term in this situation, but cant think of something better) about hanging as opposed to using a gun, pills, jumping, etc.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Are the pressures of a fashion designer really all that tough? Maybe it is but they could literally come out with a black trash bag line and still be celebrated for it.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That's unfortunate. I heard their story on the podcast How I Built This last year. https://one.npr.org/?sharedMediaId=513311127:513326948

Both Kate and Andy Spade sounded pretty happy and content with their lives and their future business projects. (Andy is brother of comedian David Spade)

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly don't know who she is
    IT is very sad and pray for her family and friends

I cannot understand Suicide
    Esp from people who have alot going on financially.

Rocket River

Jontro and tinman like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She let a note for her daughter.

This looks like mental health to me.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Depression has absolutely nothing to do with what you do for a living.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You dont think someones occupation has anything to factor into a persons depression?

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Great designer. Very unique stuff. RIP

I take my nieces to her stores all the time, and admit, I've gone in by myself, too. :)

Look at the ads for this thread.

Willing to bet, every girl you know, knows her line.

There's a Kate Spade store in every mall that has high-end stores (like the Galleria)....it's second floor middle.

I immediately thought of that podcast, too. They were very happy.

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Convenient ways of dying. Also overdosing on pills while you're in the bathtub. Always use a shower stall guys.

15. MystikArkitect

Good Lord man. The pressure and deadlines are nuts.

RIP. Successful people aren’t immune to the monster in their own head.

Harrisment likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just heard on NPR: Her husband was at home at the time she did it. :(

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm pretty curious to hear what the suicide note said.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article212609069.html
    Grieving deeply, Kate Spade's older sister told The Star on Tuesday that her famous designer sister suffered debilitating mental illness for the last three or four years and was self-medicating with alcohol.

Spade's apparent suicide on Tuesday, at age 55 inside the bedroom of her New York Park Avenue apartment "was not unexpected by me," Reta Saffo, Spade's older sister by two years, told The Star by email from her house in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Family members struggled mightily to help Spade but to little avail, she said. "Sometimes you simply cannot SAVE people from themselves!" she wrote. Spade seemed concerned how hospitalization might harm the image of the "happy-go-lucky" Kate Spade brand, she said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article212609069.html#storylink=cpy

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Of course I do, but it's not the sole source and cause of depression. Mental health is much more complicated and involved than that.

20. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I don't think the Spade family has been involved in the Kate Spade company for many years now. Either way, mental illness is far more complicated than that. People can have everything going their way and still feel only despair.

How sad.