1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kareem Abdul Jabbar on Yao Ming....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

This article requires registration, so if you can't get to it I just cut and paste the part about Kareem's take on Yao.

http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/projo_20040307_07shoot.c2948.html

Question and answer Subject: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar , New York Knicks

Abdul-Jabbar is back in the league. We went one-on-one with the master of the sky hook a few weeks before he accepted a job to scout and evaluate talent for the Knicks.

Q: You've wanted to get back into the league for several years and haven't had an opportunity until now. Do you feel your reputation of being aloof hurt?

A: I missed an opportunity to make a lot of friends. I realize that now. I didn't think it was part of my job. Maybe it was. That was my mistake.

Q: What is your assessment of the level of play in the league today?

A: I'm disappointed at times when players don't show the knowledge of the game. Things don't seem to go beyond one or two options, where when I played, we would go to the fifth or sixth option. Things would happen that were more involved. That's just a fact that these kids don't go to college and learn the game in an intense atmosphere.

These guys don't know how to deal with the different methods of playing the game. That lack of sophistication sometimes hurts them.

Q: Who are the top five centers in the game?

A: I don't think I could go that deep. Shaquille O'Neal is probably the most effective. Tim Duncan is excellent and very effective. Ben Wallace is a great defensive player.

Q: You didn't mention Houston's Yao Ming. How would you match up against him?

A: It would be nice because Yao doesn't try to get in close to the hoop to take his shots. Given his height advantage, that could present a problem. I think I could play him out at 8 and 10 feet. But he's a very effective player and has great skills.

Q: Do you feel he will be one of the top players in the league soon?

A: I think he's a year or two away. He's learning how to play the game more physically. He's starting with great fundamental skills and a great attitude. Now he's learning about the dynamics of the game, the running, how the last quarter of the game is different from the rest of the game. A lot of these guys don't understand that.

Quote of the week "Bush called and said he's sending some reinforcements for Dallas, but I told him, it's too late. It's over."

-- Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett, who hopped on the press table, picked up a phone and held a mock conversation with the president in the fourth quarter of the Timberwolves' 121-97 win over the Mavericks.

The week ahead LA Lakers at Utah (Monday): The Jazz mascot poked fun at an absent Karl Malone in the first meeting in Salt Lake City. We're betting Malone has something to say about it this time around.

Dallas at Sacramento (Thursday): The Mavericks knocked the Kings out of the playoffs last season, but they didn't do it with Chris Webber around.

LA Lakers at Minnesota (Friday): One of these teams -- or both -- could wind up in the Western Conference Finals. This game won't mean all that much come playoff time, but it should be interesting.

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

wow... kareem is pretty arrogant. maybe he's right but i think yao is better than wallace. in one season there'd be no discussion about that, and in two yao will be the premier center in this league.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You must not have ever read anything about Jabar. The guy routinely walked out of practice in LA as a player when he thought teammates were being too physical with him.

4. choujie

choujie Member

I guess Kareem rarely watches Rockets unless it's against Lakers. Sure Yao doesn't get in close to the hoop against Shaq.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, Kareem had a problem getting along with people when he was a player, and maybe later, but I don't see how he's far off with this...

"Q: Do you feel he will be one of the top players in the league soon?

A: I think he's a year or two away. He's learning how to play the game more physically. He's starting with great fundamental skills and a great attitude. Now he's learning about the dynamics of the game, the running, how the last quarter of the game is different from the rest of the game. A lot of these guys don't understand that.

Jabbar is right. What he's talking about is exactly what Yao is learnimg now, as we watch the games. If we're lucky, Yao will have it down before the playoffs. But there is no question that he's positioning himself to be a top player next season. The main reason he might be considered on that level now speaks as much to the dearth of quality centers as it does to Yao's improving ability.

I'm glad Jabbar got a job. Looks like he stepped into Ewing's former position with the Knicks. I'm just sorry we couldn't get him here to tutor Yao for a couple of weeks last summer. Hey, Yao was in China? Bummer.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He was good in "Game of Death."

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He was great in "Airplane".

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a year or 2 away from doing what???

yao is a freaking force in the league right about now. i'm certain that many teams in the west would not be thrilled about having to match up with him during a playoff series. he is clearly among the top centers in the game, right now.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Ha yeah, that doesn't speak too highly of Kareem-of-wheat Jabaar's scouting skills. He may have been awesome as a player but I get the feeling he has zero coaching/scouting ability. He's not good with people and his only worth is as a symbol to have on your side. Thank god Ewings not like that...

10. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Kareem probably felt threatened by Yao's hook shots.

11. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Kareem probably felt offended when they compared Yao's hook shots to his.

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Kareem was just smoking to many of that canavis sativa stuff!! I really think that Yao will be the main treat in the league next year!:cool: