1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kamra inlay for presbyopia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, May 16, 2019.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Has anyone here had the Kamra inlay procedure? I understand they only place the inlay on the non dominant eye, and it doesn't affect your mid or long distance sight.

At 48 years, my reading vision is starting to go. Many people over 45 have to deal with using reading glasses to read printed material. I'm up to a +1.50 on my cheaters and may have to jump to a +1.75, but my glasses really get annoying.

I'm considering these and want to have some real people's opinions before going in for a consultation.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought for sure this thread was going to be in a foreign language.

On topic, I have nothing useful to add. But, also in my 40s, I might be referring back to this thread a few years from now.

B-Bob and Falcons Talon like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have a strong opposition to surgeries where there are non-surgical solutions.

In this case, glasses.

That said, I don't even know what this is or what presbyopia is. I just know that doctors mess up a lot more they or the #s want to admit.

I'm reminded of this recent story: https://www.bet.com/news/national/2...who-committed-suicide-after-lasik-eye-su.html

Or this story: https://www.kvue.com/article/news/i...r-it/269-c41ad14d-031f-4166-a18b-4361e8e22cfd

Or this story: https://www.kvue.com/article/news/i...vice/269-ceeef975-edc7-427b-9f5d-e431b08e7d59

[yes, i'm in Austin]

Lots of folks don't know how to handle issues like this, or have never had something like this happen, and spiral quickly. I've had a similar issue happen to me 4 years ago, and I can empathize with the lady in the above.

BUT... on the whole numbers are on your side. I actually had LASIK done in 2004... though I was back in glasses 2 years ago. They offered a touch up and I kindly passed.

B-Bob and Falcons Talon like this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm not a big fan of multifocal implants whether you're talking an intraocular lens or inlay. They overpromise and underdeliver, generally. You'll compromise some sharpness for convenience.

I recommend monovision if you want surgical options. But try it in contacts first to make sure your brain can adapt to it.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

That's a suggestion to try the contacts first. My only concern is that is placed on the non dominant eye, and I shoot with my dominant eye and would like to be able to focus appropriately.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Shooters are a hard group to satisfy. Everyone has preferences whether it's dominant eye on target with nondominant eye on sights or vice versa. Definitely try it in contacts first to make sure you can adjust.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This sounds like something the Russians invented -- I'll pass until we can do it with a laser.

Zboy likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you shoot pistol you might get by with an adjustable diopter attached to your shooting glasses. If you shoot longarms you might try something like the ssp glasses: https://sspeyewear.com/ . And actually the ssp glasses are good for pistol as well. I have both for both contexts, the ssp glasses are pretty affordable and if you decide you like them, you could have an optometrist grind you a higher quality pair of glasses. If I were to do that, I would slightly adjust where the area of focus is in the lens (I'd put it closer to the bridge of my nose based on how I shoot and how I hold the rifle).

#8 Os Trigonum, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is that the new 5000 yr old sex position all the kids are talking about?

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No. Presbyopia is a Presbyterian summer camp gone all horribly wrong.

Invisible Fan and JuanValdez like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You can actually do it with a tooth pick to avoid complications from laser.