1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Apr 29, 2014.

1. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

2. basketballholic

Hmmmmm, interesting. He'd be a great gamble with that second round pick we have. However he is just a junior so I doubt he comes out without a very good promise to go in the first round and I suspect we're going to trade our first round pick for a future pick to avoid having the salary on the books.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He's a very good prospect, but less likely to fall into our hands. The athleticism would probably lift his draft status in combine.

He's said to be the best athlete after Wiggins.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Would love to get a defensive wing like this, but I'm not seeing the "three" part of 3/D. Shot 31.3% from three in college. Athleticism looks good.

[youtube]8ZUABoKLmhk[/youtube]

[youtube]HmtP3nrD6u8[/youtube]

[youtube]G5Lr26ORJ_o[/youtube]

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

He is not even an average shooter.

6. basketballholic

J.J. Mann is a nice looking kid, 4-yr senior, unknown school, but skilled player on both ends. He's way under the radar at the moment.

7. haoafu

Nice videos.

He shoots 39% and 41% in catch and shoot situations in last two seasons from outside. Team offensive system leads to questionable shot selections, and it brings down his overall percentage. He consistently improves free throw percentage to over 80% this season.

1 person likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Interesting. Where are you pulling this data from? And are you saying he dribbles into long shots that bring down his percentage?

9. haoafu

I don't have resources other than OP's link. If I understand it correctly, it's about his catch and shoot outside shooting.

Last season:

This season:

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I made a thread when the 2015 estimated salary cap came out. Basically, the Rockets can keep their 2014 and 2015 1st round picks on the books and still be able to pay Love(or another FA) max money along with Beverley, Parsons, and given his play of late, Daniels.

IMO, the only way the Rockets trade their pick this year is to make space for Melo. Because Melo's max is so ridiculous, we will have to gut just about everyone to fit him in and still offer close to his max. But I see this as a long shot, so I think we will be picking in this year's draft.

11. basketballholic

If we don't get a trade done for Melo then I suspect we trade the pick for a pick in next year's or 2016 draft. This gives us picks stacked up, especially if we can move Asik for another pick as well. That would give us several picks stacked up to make a move for Love (or possibly Aldridge/someone else) at the deadline. That's why my signature says trade out of 2014 draft. The minute you draft a player down in the 20's you have turned a trade asset (pick) into a lesser trade asset (player with a guaranteed contract).

12. haoafu

Looks like Jordan Adams is also entering this draft. He's a favorite of stats community, so another decent choice in late first round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Adams-7189/

I'm seeing some nice prospects all the way to early second round this year. I think this draft is deeper than people thought(The top picks are very good, but I don't see clear cut franchise players).

I doubt future late picks would have as much value as this year's prospects, but of course picks are easier to trade.

13. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Looking at his videos reminds me of Gerald Green. Similar size, length and athleticism.

14. ironariza

ironariza Member

Can he win Thanasis 1V1?

If not, second round

15. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Thanasis is not a bad prospect. I actually like his defensive potential, and wouldn't mind recruiting him to RGV if undrafted.

As it is, he's not ready to play for a contender yet, but teams like 76ers may have the time and patience to develop him as long term project.

BTW Hinkie should be able to grab a few very interesting players in second round IMO(Thanasis is one of them. If I'm Hinkie, I'd draft him in late second round).

16. haoafu

So Thanasis is first round talent?

17. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Adams is staying in school.

18. haoafu

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz31R7FX8B8
    http://www.draftexpress.com

19. ironariza

ironariza Member

no

but I think Kj does not show he is better than thanasis

20. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

KJ is one if the most productive NCAA players this year, and his athleticism is elite level.