1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Rockets close to being a lottery-bound team...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Nov 21, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

The Houston Rockets have the second-best record in the Western Conference, but it's hard to believe that after listening to coach Jeff Van Gundy. Houston looks for a third straight win as it opens a season-high, five-game road trip in a matchup with the Portland Trail Blazers.

The Rockets' record is second to only the Los Angeles Lakers in the West, and they lead the NBA in scoring defense and opponents' field-goal percentage.

Houston has won two straight and seven of nine, but Van Gundy says the club is close to being a lottery-bound team.

Van Gundy is concerned with the way Houston plays down the stretch. In the Rockets' 85-83 home win over the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday, they had to come from behind to beat a tired team.

``We need to play the game intelligently to win close games,'' Van Gundy said. ``We turn it over, foul foolishly and recklessly, miss free throws, I mean anything that goes into finishing out games.

``If we expect to be a .500 team, then this type of closing out the games is fine. If they have my vision and my goals, to make strides toward winning a championship, it's not just me that will see this as totally unacceptable, it will be everybody in that room.''

Rockets point guard Steve Francis agreed with Van Gundy, and said the team cannot continue to play poorly in the waning moments of games. That should hold especially true on this trip, with Houston to face some tough conference foes.

``We have a pretty good record but I feel like we have a lot of growth to do as a team,'' Francis said. ``I believe in my teammates and I believe in my coach 100 percent. We want to come back from this road trip better than when we left. The way that you do that is to take one game at a time and respect your opponent.''

Houston's first opponent will be Portland, which is 6-1 at home this season after a 94-93 comeback win over the Miami Heat on Wednesday.

Qyntel Woods capped Portland's rally with a pair of clutch free throws with 0.4 seconds remaining as the Blazers ended a two-game losing streak by erasing a 14-point, fourth-quarter deficit.

``Those were probably the toughest shots I have ever had to make,'' said Woods, who scored seven of his 11 points in the final three minutes.

Portland will be without Bonzi Wells, who is completing his two-game suspension for cursing at coach Maurice Cheeks during a 105-98 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2003112122

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I love it when I hear Steve talk this way. Maybe it's lip service, but it is definitely what we need from our team leader.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It's true though. Are record doesn't show it, but we haven't been playing that well lately. Hopefully everyone recognizes this and we play a whole lot better, especially on the offensive end, we're gonna need it on this road trip.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I have a feeling this road trip will get ugly fast...

5. jeerome

jeerome Member

JVG hit it right on the nail, this trip will be a great indicator of how much gut this team really has and if they are serious or not. if they play like they did Dallas it will be a long road trip

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I think the Rockets will come out of this road trip 2-3, which will make them 10-6, tied with the Mavs as division leader. No bad compare last year.

--daoshi

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I thought we did pretty well at the beginning of last year. If I recall we were a top four team in the West for quite some time last season. It was later in the year that we had problems.

8. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

Yeah, we did start well last year.......I think JVG is trying to prevent us from "slipping" again when we start going through the Western Conference grind. I think he's dead on, and hopefully Steve really agrees with him.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

6-4 through the first 10 games, though shortly therafter it was 7-6.

10. bongman

bongman Member

You realize that the last place Memphis is only 2 games behind us on the lost column. It is possible(highly unlikely), 10-6 might place us in last. Having said that, I don't really place a lot of stock on early season record as history shows.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just remember, most teams suck way worse than we do.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats the difference between Rudy T and JVG. Rudy would've praised the team for pulling out that game against Golden State, JVG on the other hand was very disapointed in the team. Thats why I think the Rockets have the potential to be a VERY dangerous team. Their 8-3 and havent made Van Gundy happy yet.

13. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

First, no team plays better defense than us so I am not sure what JVG is talking about. Again if he has the time to do so much talking, he should bring to light the calls that Mr. Ming is not getting from the refs. We would really be a lottery team if Mr. Ming's hands get broken. If we had gotten half of those calls he would not even be in a position to talk such crap.

Second, if you are not able to play with four of your rotation guys you should not expect the team to play winning basketball all the time; although the record suggest they are playing winning basketball.

Third, get SF to uptempo the game and move the ball and you would not have to worry about closing out games because they would not be close.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i don't know about that. i don't see how anyone could have praised that performance- it is obvoius that we won by the skin of our teeth. also, i don't think it's actually possible to make van gundy happy.

15. Sane

Sane Member

You want Francis to uptempo the game, but you neglect the fact that it would reduce Ming's effectiveness. Yao Ming doesn't play uptempo, obviously.

This team is 8-3 because they have the talent to be 8-3. Meaning, even Rudy T could have this squad at 8-3 right now.

JVG's job is to make the team better than it should be - which happens to be 8-3.

Right now, this team isn't clicking, Francis and Mobley are inconsistent, and we are still having some difficulty scoring.

JVG hasn't said anything yet, he's just concerned, and rightfully so, that we're just barely beating a Golden State team on the second night of a back to back, without their best player, and at the back end of a road trip. A 2 point victory should be enough? Sure, it's enough to get the W, but that kind of mentality wasn't able to put a wave in the Mavs pond - and that's what we're looking to do.

16. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Agreed 100 percent. I just love JVG's mentality. Hopefully our players will pick up on it up, listen to him and get better.

Records and stats are very misleading in the beginning of the season. Recognizing their mistakes and trying their best to improve from it is all I asked of the players. I've been saying this for 3-4 years and we are still playing stupid basketball, but I have hope this year because of JVG.

17. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

waaaaaa waaa waaaaa...nothing but excuses...sounds all too familiar..

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

8-3 is nothing to sneeze at, yet it is acknowledged that winning ugly is the mantra. So, yes, I agree -- LottoLand looms unless the Rox' improve.

At least they have the W's banked.

I had hoped for 13 wins from the 1st 30 games, and then to start a JVG lift off to the playoffs. If Rox could win 16 of the 1st 30, and stay healthy and get wise, 46 or more wins could be expected.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Just because you don't say it in public doesn't mean you're not disappointed.

20. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Sane, what are you talking about? Did you see the last game? It was a fastbreak that Ming finished and got fouled. That followed another occasion when he was open for a similar pass gettng behind the defense on another break. If you think our best and only option with Ming is to play slow and deliberate ball all the time, you are mistaken.

I do not agree that this team would be the same under Rudy.

His best preparation for the Mavs game is to make sure Ming gets his calls when Bradley is fouling him. There will be lots of time to deal with the mavs, right now we deal with the next five teams and we can win most of these. I just do not think we are playing like a lottery team. Simple.

Chen, there are not excuses. We are a winning team and we are the best in defense. Lottery teams are regularly blown out and cannot play defense, etc etc. There is nothing familar. He should bring the no calls to light. That is as key and smart to winning basketball as anything he is talking about.