1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

JVG on SPORTS RADIO 610 at this morning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OddsOn, Sep 2, 2005.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Did anybody hear the interview with JVG on 610 this morning? I didn't even know it was on until a buddy called me up and told me. I caught the last segment. Seemed he was letting his hair down a bit and joking it up with the guys. Made some comments about Jon Barry constantly nagging him if he was going to get playing time so JVG started making some comments towards Barry (jokingly) and said Barry I know your listening....and your to play this year.....and then Barry ended up calling into the show.

Did anybody else catch this? The last part I heard was freakin' hilarious. JVG is really a funny guy outside of the basketball season.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm jealous of people who life in Houston. :(

3. B

B Contributing Member

Chance,

Will this interview be in the audio vault? I was stuck in a meeting at work today.

B

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

610 am radio has a link where you can listen to their programming.

5. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I posted this at realgm....

I caught a little of it. He was there to talk about the relief for the victims of Katrina, and Houston Rockets and the community is helping out for the cause. On the Basketball discussion, he talked about Swift, Luther Head, and the problem with 8 guards.

On Swift: I really like what he said about Swift. He sounded like a good teacher and i think JVG could help him out. JVG said that he has the talent to be a great player but its up to him to work hard and earn it. He said right now all Swift has done is play as a backup. JVG did not say who will start.

On J. Howard: He said he will be ready to go. The Doctors have cleared him for the full workout.

On Luther Head: I think it was JOHN who asked if we should send Luther Head to NBDL. JVG said that it is not a good idea to send players to NBDL since the players won't be working under Rockets Coaches. He also said that sending players to NBDL sometimes does not help with players confidence. Luther Should be fine playing under Rockets and develop as a tough PG. He clearly sounded like he won't get much playing time.

Now to the guards.......
    First thing he said was that Rockets arent healthy right now. He said Sura is not 100 % and might not be available for the training camp. ( I think he will be available for the preseason) He also said D. Wesley is coming off of a knee surgery and than the Yao surgery. He said the main step for them is to stay healthy, and he continued with saying that if they all stay healthy than they will have to reduce the roster so they can have play time for these guys. He said about chemistry that if Rockets will have all these guards playing than they might have a little chemistry problem.

On J.Barry: He was telling how J.Barry keeps coming to his office and asks about if he will get play time this season. So at the radio station he called out loud that J. barry will def. get play time. After that he said that he loves the work ethic of this team. He told that these guys are out in the gym right now, and keeping themselves in shape. He said J.Barry is in the gym when they were doing the interview.

On DA: He was basically saying that they picked him up because he was a low risk player. He came cheap but he has the game that will def. take Rockets to the next level. He said if they can bring that passion back into him than he will be fine.

I think thats all i heard. If someone else caught it too than post it. Thx

#5 RocketFire, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

JVG was his usual self, upbeat and jovial. He basically said that this line-up is not final. He is concerned about injuries and especially about Sura. Sura's knee is not progressing like he'd hoped and Bobby doesn't think he'll be ready for training camp. Wesley is progressing well.

He went so far as to say that when everyone is healthy on this team, that they would have to make a move. You just can't have all those players that can play on the same team. It breeds selfish play and concern for minutes.

Seems like they'll wait until they see what they have on the court before they pull the trigger on anything.

Juwan is doing great and working out in Chicago. Doctors have said how this was a one time thing, and is not a concern to return.

Barry is a clown and he and Barry go back and forth at each other. Really funny stuff.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This was the best I've every heard JVG. He was completely relaxed and in rare form. It was almost strange seeing (listening to) this side of him. OK, what I remember,

Luther Head: Will be on the end of the bench this year. No NBDL. As a late first round choice on a good team, its up to him to develop himself during the season. Needs to work on his shot and his body. He's a small guard who will have to develop real PG skills to be successful in this league.

Bob Sura: Will not be ready for training camp because of his knee. He was very hindered during the playoffs by the knee. [We can now start a brand new thread on starting PG speculation].

David Wesley: Probably will be ready for training camp.

Stromile Swift: Said coming into a solid and dedicated lockerroom will give him his best chance to succeed. He has great talent but hasn't played up to it. We will push him and see how he responds. Said he hasn't talked to Fratello or Hubie Brown about him because he doesn't want to be biased. Compared him to Marcus Camby as far as a player who didn't play up to his abilities until he found the right situation.

Jon Barry: JVG playfully called him out quite a bit and JB eventually called in. They gave each other a rough time. The banter was funny except Jon Granato is such a goofball and cuts in and talks over people at the wrong times. JB is the only Rocket with the green light to take pull up 3s on the break. JB's been bugging JVG every morning at TC about playing time next season. JVG publicly promised him minutes. [My comments: JVG clearly owns the heart of our players because only a very secure coach would loosen up the way he did with JB on the radio].

Said our team probably has more players coming in and working out daily at the team facilities than any other team in the NBA. He specifically mentioned Sura, JB, Wesley & MJ.

The guard glut: Having too many players is a problem and if everyone was healthy some would have to be let go. Not an issue now since everyone is not healthy.

8. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

J.barry and Mutombo will hold this team together in the rough times.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Favorite part was when Barry called in talking about playing time, and JVG said jokingly if Jon doesn't like it he will send his ass back to Atlanta. Jon didn't say much after that. lol!! :D

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Great to hear that Juwan is making a comeback

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, I love the chemistry on this team. It's going to suck when Barry and Mutombo retire.... :(

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think yao has taken a backseat as the funniest player on the team. seems even JVG is very funny in the offseason.

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Damn, Head looked pretty muscular to me the last time I saw him.

14. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

wait until MJ is out, you'll see a far better chemistry...

15. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

LOL that was pretty dang funny. He also made some playful comment about how he loved Jon's offensive game and now if he coulld only begin to play defense.... :D

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Coach Van Gundy gave David Wesley & John Barry credit for keying the turn-a-round last season.

Van Gundy was very light and easy on the radio- almost likable. I am warming up to him more now.

He did attributed the blowout loss to Dallas at least partially on 3 pt jack up shots attempted in the 1st Q that set the tone for the game.

Interesting...

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Another funny part (JVG/Barry) was when JVG said he would have to give Barry PT otherwise he would have to hear him when he was on the bench. Funny stuff...

The comments about Swift were pretty direct... that Swift has essentially been a good *back up* PF and it was up to Swift to show the work ethic to be more.

18. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

19. The Hungarian Rocket

Thanks for the recaps.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I guess all you can remember is part of one playoff game blowout and not the whole last two month of the season huh?