1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

JVG Calls out NBA and Jason Kidd

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 2, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/...ch-completes-suspension-for-dui-arrest-110113

Van Gundy calls out Kidd, NBA

Former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy ripped the league's disciplinary system during Friday night's Heat-Nets game, in a rant that seemed aimed particularly at Brooklyn coach Jason Kidd.

Van Gundy, who was providing color commentary for ESPN's broadcast, called out the NBA for handing out one- and two-game suspensions for serious off-court offenses like DUIs and domestic abuse charges while handing out longer suspensions for lesser things.

Kidd received a two-game suspension after an offseason DUI arrest, and he also was arrested in 2001 when his former wife said he hit her during an argument.

"The deterrent system is not working," Van Gundy said, comparing drinking and driving to firing a gun in a room full of people.

He called for the NBA to drop the hammer on anyone charged with crimes involving alcohol or violence against women, suspending them for even an entire season.

Play-by-play man Mike Breen reminded Van Gundy that the guidelines for such punishments have to be negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement.

"Forget all that," Van Gundy replied.

The Nets bounced back from a season-opening loss in Cleveland by winning in their second and final game without first-year coach Kidd, who finished his suspension and is expected to make his debut Sunday at Orlando.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

The point he's making is irrelevant. I tune into ESPN to watch basketball, which JVG continually strays away from. He has, what, less than two hours a week to stay on point and call the game, and he can't even manage that?

If you want to go off topic, fine. Get a Twitter account. Start up a radio show on ESPN Radio -- they'd gladly have you.

Jeff, please start using that big basketball brain of yours to tell me about the game you're a few feet away from.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Your points are well taken. However, League Pass serves as a reminder of homerism in the NBA booth. When one of JVG's pedigree gets to barking it can be worth listening to.

There is a preponderance of national games without interference on potential thought evoking insights. I'm glad, for one, that JVG is out there.

4. Vivid

Vivid Member

I am with you here xiki. League suspensions is an NBA topic, it's not like he is calling a game and started ranting about obamacare. Suspensions are topical and as they directly effect the game when players get suspended, I think it is fair conversation .This was probably 30 seconds out of a 2 and half hour broadcast. I mean even if all they did was break down basketball, eventually you need to talk about something else. That's why ESPN debates Kobe vs Lebron and teaches you how to salsa like Victor Cruz. Sports are fun, but at some point there isn't much left to be said. So we get a lot of filler and fluff.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

^^^ I agree. Jason Kidd's team was one of the two being broadcast that night and he was absent. I think it's OK to briefly comment on it.

JVG does stray a bit far off topic at times but I am not sure if commenting on the suspension of the Nets' coach absent from this game when broadcasting Nets vs. Heat is one of them.

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

It's ok if you don't like JVG, but I think he is one of the top game broadcasters.

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I actually didn't mind the minor social-commentary-like rant. Why shouldn't we expect better of NBA players/coaches/staff in their personal lives, especially on the topic drunk driving and the potential effect it could have on innocent bystanders. NBA has a platform, might as well take advantage of it and use a few minutes to call them out.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's just like talking about any other rule change, it seems to me.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

We seriously think commentators should only talk about their particular game the entire time? Really?

That sounds unbelievably boring to me. I love it when JVG is commentating because I never know what's coming from him. That makes the games even more interesting to me.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

JVG is great as commentator, and says things that would have had him fined $100,000 if were still a coach in the league.

and those things he says go on to become the truth.

11. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Nothing wrong with what he says, this is very relevant to the overall state of the nba which fans care about, not to mention he does talk about the game at hand for the majority of the game.

Not sure why you are so bitter.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can respect the viewpoint that some of the audience want 100% focus on what's going on in the game. But I don't think its quite off topic to talk about league-wide issues in an NBA telecast. If he's ranting about pop culture or politics, that's a different matter.

My view is that there comes a point where you can elaborate on what's going on in the game but it doesn't necessarily add all that much. I'm OK with a balance of micro-analysis of in-game things, plus commentary on overarching issues relevant to the sport. IMO, topics related to NBA, and some topics that impact all sports, is fair game as long as it doesn't dominate the discussion.

1 person likes this.
  13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You have a right to your opinion Kelly but JVG is I guy I really enjoy listening to and personally I agree with him. IMO he's the best at what he does and as a former coach I think he has tremendous insight on topics such as David Stern and NBA Discipline. I think Stern and the NBA are generally out of touch with the way the dish out punishment and I for one don't mind JVG calling them out on it.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If so many professional sports players weren't such idiots JVG would have nothing to say about them.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Van Gundy's statement was germane to the game he was covering. It's not as if he devoted a quarter to the discussion.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Kelly, I have to disagree with you here. Jason Kidd was one of the more high profile players in the league, and now he is the head coach of one of the most high profile teams in the league. In that position, he represents the NBA as a whole, and his actions and the punishments for those actions deserve discussion. JVG is absolutely right in this case, and I think it is great to have a voice in the national media willing to stick his neck out and call him out.

You of all people watch a lot of basketball. Color commentators always stray from analysis during certain points of the game. I would much rather hear the commentator discuss a real valid issue like this than hearing the usual babbling nonsense we get from most color commentators.

17. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

JVG is right. People should not get a slap on the wrist for serious offenses even if its of the court and then get penalized for minor, trivial offenses on the court. It is counter-intuitive and wrong.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy IS one of the best, and that's why I want more of him. I want Xs and Os-work, things that help me learn more about the game that never stops teaching us.

I wish he'd teach us more, instead of preaching to us more.

19. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Dang from someone who's twitter account sounds like someone with ADD on crack, you're pretty harsh on JVG aren't you.

1 person likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

People don't like JVG? I think he's by far the best in the business.