1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice's Blog from the Chron: Random thoughts on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

• Yao Ming isn't going anywhere for at least two more seasons. Even if he decides not to sign the long-term extension the Rockets will offer this summer -- and the betting inside the organization is that he will -- he can't be an unrestricted free agent until 2007.

He's signed for next season, and then the Rockets can match any offer he receives for the 2006-2007 season. Again, though, the feeling inside the organization is that he'll stay. No player has ever turned down a max offer, and Yao seems loyal to the Rockets.

• Greek point guard Vasileios Spanoulis, 23, will play on the Rockets' summer league team before a decision is made on whether to sign him for the upcoming season. He has dominated European competition, but still may not be ready for the NBA. The Rockets probably won't sign him unless they're convinced he'll be in their playing rotation next season.

• Malick Badiane, a second-round pick in 2003 from Senegal, will also play on the summer league team. He's a center/forward.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

VS is probably the deciding factor in weather we trade james or not.

if it is true that he won't be signed unless JVG is sure he will be in the rotation then if he is signed it will make him our backup PG. there is no way JVG starts an unproven PG.

if VS is signed and becomes our backup, i can't see james starting for JVG. a spark off the bench is one thing, but running a team is another.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wonder if Yao's going to be a US citizen. Since the US allows dual citizenship then Yao can keep on playing for China but then perhaps not have to hand over half his wages to the Shanghai Sharks? In any case when would be the earliest that Yao or his parents can apply for US citizenship?

4. roswell raygun

How can I get a job writing painfully obvious things for a major metropolitan newspaper. Did anybody learn anything from Justice's report that they didn't know weeks ago from Clutchfans? Anybody? :mad:

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

The US does NOT allow dual citizenship and neither does China.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What about Aaron Burr?

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

Well, Burr is long dead. You can be born with dual citizenship but you can't immigrate and gain citizenship and keep both citenships if both of your countries of citizenship don't allow dual citizenship. China & US are ones. My wife is chinese so we have looked into this. When she becomes a US citizenship the Chinese will remove her Chinese citizenship when they find out. Mexico allows dual citizenship so their citizens can maintain their citizenship if the also become US citizens.

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

or Raymond Burr....

[​IMG]

:D

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Did know you know that Raymond Burr briefly lived in China as a youth?

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

that must be why he was in all the Godzilla movies

...did you know he perferred the company of manly men...?

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I hate to show my ignorance in a Justice thread, but I thought Yao's (and all other rookie's) contracts went 3 years with a 4th year team option. How is he signed for 2006-2007?

And uh, if Spanoulis has dominated play in Europe then it seems like you bring him in, play him 12 mins. a game and live with the growing pains. I know playing a rookie pg is tough but we need a pg with speed, and hell even if he just runs around in circles on occasion he could still help us. We need to get lucky with this guy.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I thought the Godzilla movies were Japanese.

13. micah1j

micah1j Member

Yao is not. I guess he means that is the earliest he could be a Unrestricted FA.

Justice could vastly improve his basketball knowledge if he read CC.net or he could at least improve his preceived knowledge by copying stuff he reads here. :D

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i thought half his wages went to Chinese Government
    which
    is not much
    different that a third of American player's salary got to the Gov
    it's call taxes

Yao paying the Motherland seems to be a bit ole Craw in everyone's throat
    for some odd reason.

Rocket River

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It doesn't say that he is signed for 2006-2007. It just says that the Rockets can match any offer that Yao receives for the 2006-2007 season. Which is true becasue Yao will be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2006. It's just worded a little weird.

16. Bob

Bob Member

Actually the US does allow dual citiizenship. The problem is typically with the other country.

But regardless, Yao's problem with sending money to China - the Shanghai Sharks - has nothing to do with citizenship. Once his current contract ends all that stuff with China goes away.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The US allows dual citizenship in certain cases. For example, Israel

18. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

you're a senior member and you still don't know this? For shame... :p
    To repeat for the umpteenth time, first, its not the PRC, its the CBA that gets 1/3 of his salary, the US gets the other third (or probably more) and they get his promotional and publicity money. the CBA doesn't get a share of these US contracts though, but they might get a peice of his chinese ones.

And there are exceptions for having multiple passports, I know several people that have two or three, legally. regardless, there really isn't any good reason for yao to get a us passport, he probably gets better treatment in shanghai anyway, plus it would hurt him being on the chinese olympic team.

19. rvpals

rvpals Member

No. We learned nothing we didn't already know. But hey, it's slow news summer. Anything about Rockets is good to see.

20. rvpals

rvpals Member

Great to hear we got to see Yao & TMac combo for at least another 2 years. I am about 90% sure Yao will sign the max offer as soon as he could.