1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice: Who should the Rockets hire? Casey? Frank? McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 7, 2011.

?

Who should the Rockets hire?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2011.
  1. Dwane Casey

58.9%
  2. Lawrence Frank

26.3%
  3. Kevin McHale

14.7%
  1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Well its pretty much better than being dead.

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Because the Mavericks are soooooo known for their Defense:confused:

Don't really like any of these guys but Frank appears to be the best choice here.
    He's a brainiac film buff plus hes been to the Finals under Byron Scott.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

A T-Wolves fan's perspective about McHale/Casey from the Realgm board:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1111384#p27925407

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Justice on Rockets: Think Frank is the next coach. Got the most coaching experience. Is a little Van Gundy. Cant go wrong with him. Other guy is Dwayne Casey. Guy they cant get out of their minds is McHale. He is a leap of faith. He could make the GM look brilliant. Could also make you look terrible. Kevin could decide he wants to do it for 2 weeks and then get tired of it. McHale's first practice, Fitch was the coach, he comes over after practice, and said about Fitch, what an *******. Nobody in the history of the NBA that doesnt love McHale though. He is positive and people person. He knows the game. Stereotype of NBA coach is a maniac. Adelman not a maniac. Van Gundy was a maniac. NBA coach of today, Carlisle, has not seen sunlight in months. Sport that drives you crazy because of the players. Good coaches now spend 70% time coaching D. Rockets would tell you Adelman's weakness was D. McHale is tempting them but dont think they'll take him. He is keeping them up at night. Moment this started, Frank seemed like a Morey hire. Vogel and Frank made sense. They want someone who will move with the roster. They arent done yet moving the roster. Why make the 8th seed the goal of the franchise? They want to be great. Thats what I like about Andrew Friedman(baseball). Mindset of "We wont be mediocre.". ... Mavs have spent money. If they win, bronze it, because it wont be done the way they done it. Commish will put in hard cap. Rockets have had hard cap in a sense. Les doesnt like paying the Luxury Tax. ... Sam Dalembert the likely guy. Computer says he would add 4 wins. Someone who runs the computer says that doesnt sound like a lot but when you're winning 42-44 wins, 4 wins help. ...This is his offseason. Offseason though will be 72 hours long in Febuary. This is his chance to make a mark. ... Morey would tell you this, where you need to improve is in the W/L record. YOu have to go to the playoffs. Rockets think its more important, did not come from Morey here, but basketball people said they didnt do well on D even with the hole in the middle. (Sean Pendergast)New coach isnt going to come in and magically make Martin or Scola better on D.(/Sean Pendergast) I would say they are going to score fewer points. I would say lets have this convo in a year. Lets see if the W/L is better, lets see if the roster is better, etc.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This was a perfect synopsis of why Frank is going to get the job.

Lawrence Frank..........took over a .500 Nets team featuring Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson and drove them to the second round of the playoffs as a 33-year-old punk.

The next season, at age 34, he coached them up to 42-40 and the 8th seed in the playoffs with Kidd missing 16 games, Carter missing 25 games, and Jefferson missing 49 games.

The next season, at age 35, he coached them up to 49-33 with his Big 3 relatively healthy.

The next season they fell off to .500. Go look at that roster of the 2007 Nets and tell me what coach could have done better with them.

The next season they fell to 34-48 as Kidd was traded away midseason.

The next season they stayed at 34-48 even though Jefferson was now gone.

The next season (2009-10) he was fired as the Nets rebuilt with Brook Lopez and Devin Harris. He finished that last season 0-16 before being dismissed. That team finished 12-70 for the season. They were terrible. They didn't get better after he left. They were rebuilding. He could've easily won just as many games as Kiki won with that bunch.

AND THIS ALL BEFORE HE TURNED 40!

There is no way he could coach Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson to the playoffs if he didn't have the respect of NBA players.

He is a good coach. And he's only 40. He's gonna get better. He'll be a good hire. And he'll be a great hire if we can keep our passing offense.

6. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I get pissed thinking about how we got rid of Adelman to pick up this riff-raff.

This is a hall of fame coach whose system was clearly taking hold with this group of players and we trash that for the opportunity to pick up Frank? McHale? Don't know Casey, but he better be f-ing good.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, being in your 40's is groovy. Being in your 60's is better than being dead, although some might argue that it's a close call.

8. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Hey hey, watch what you say mate, it's way better than being dead ;) :grin: ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Could they really go with McHale?! I cant see it. Guess they really do like him and/or are really tempted by him.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Can McHale suit up for 15 minutes a nite?

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm hoping it's Frank.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Frank - Morey/Les still wants the Rockets to try to make the playoffs

Casey - Morey/Les still wants the Rockets to try to make the playoffs

McHale- It's tank time and we're trading Kevin Martin to the Celtics

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I keep flip flopping. Now I want Lawrence Frank. I think what he did with the Nets was impressive enough to give him the chance again. I mean it was real impressive to take them to the Finals like that. It was the Nets! The Nets! I know they had good players but it was an accomplishment of great coaching still.

15. worzel gummidge

This is why he isn't. The Nets went from the finals to being underachievers and mediocre under Frank.

[​IMG]

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I forgot Byron Scott got them there. Oh well. I like the idea of some new guy coming in and doing something. I dont like the older guards of the NBA unless they are Greg Popovich and Phil Jackson.

17. koopa

koopa Member

The Rockets are going from the winningest coach Rick Adelman to the losingest coaches with these 3 losers of coaches? This is a travesty. I really don't like what daryl morey has done to this team from having 2 all stars to it being dwindled down as the best team to not make the playoffs all the time but losing two all stars for nothing. From having a decent core of Artest and even ariza to having not much of a good supporting cast. And even losing Aaron Brooks their only promising star player. Landry is gone as well. Then losing adelman and having 3 of the losingest coaches on the list of potential coaches. This doesn't look great.

If I was to choose the lesser of 3 evils I'd choose Lawrence Frank because he's the youngest guy.

18. deshen

deshen Member

I want none of them. Since Morey has not brought any deal with Celtics, I believe this will be the one, not in favor of Rockets, IMO.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

RJ said they could hire Frank by Friday(of course that depends on him being their guy which RJ thinks is, and them being eliminated tonight, which was the case).

Not counting on any hire by then but ya never know.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's weird how Justice has absolutely zero ties to the Rockets during the year.. but as soon as the off-season hits, he's the main source of information. Where ya at, Feigen?