1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Scalia Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tallanvor, Feb 13, 2016.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-world/article/Senior-Associate-Justice-Antonin-Scalia-found-6828930.php

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Prayers for his family.

A great defender of the constitution.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's safe to say that they won't appoint a new justice till after the election.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There will be an enormous fight about that.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Admittedly not knowing protocol I highly doubt this, they'd be ending one session and starting a new one in between then. I could see Republican Senators fighting any nominee tooth and nail. Tangentially it would suck if we had a another situation like in Florida in 2000.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's open season on the constitution

stock up on guns and ammo

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well someone has to be nominated by the president and confirmed by the congress, I highly doubt that this president would nominate someone acceptable to a Republican controlled congress thus it is unlikely that the seat is filled any time soon. Now maybe Obama shocks the world by nominating a conservative or at least moderate candidate, but I just don't see him doing that so it's a lot more likely that congress will run out the clock on him and deal with whoever is next.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obama should lower the flags and appoint someone in two weeks. This guy was the architect of all kinds of rigid conservative nonsense on the court.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I guess he can't use executive order here huh?

How long did it take to get his last nominee through?

10. Major

Major Member

Has a USSC seat ever been vacant for a year? Historically, the Senate has regularly approved justices that lean the other way politically, though this Senate no longer functions normally when it comes to nominees (or anything else). But this is going to be an ugly mess either way.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Also if you're visiting from abroad, get pregnant and give birth. And if you're planning on buying some slaves, from overseas, to celebrate being knighted, don't.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. I think people are underestimating just how dangerous that fight would be. If Obama nominates a well-liked moderate, particularly from a crucial voting block (Latino?), and the GOP Senate tries to stall that for almost a full calendar year... that has the potential to really bite them on Election Day with independent voters.

They may still do it and essentially make this election an all-or-nothing proposition. But I don't think it's a slam-dunk decision. Have to calculate whether the fight is worth it.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity." — Justice Antonin Scalia <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#RIP">#RIP</a></p>&mdash; Josh Craddock (@joshjcraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/joshjcraddock/status/698638068325154816" data-datetime="2016-02-13T22:41:10+00:00">February 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Nominate a black female or a latina and tell the republicans to come and get it.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Notwithstanding multiple appointments, recess appointments or just being grown ups. Some people run for federal office to actually run the ****ing federal government, not play act some talk show hosts' and bloggers' ideological fan fiction.

16. AXG

AXG Member

Sad... he was actually my favorite justice. :( R.I.P.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Supreme Court Justice Barack Obama!

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Judge Sri Srinivasan will be the nomination, unanimously confirmed by the senate to the DC circuit

19. Major

Major Member

Unfortunately, there a lot of Senators that don't care about running a government - we've seen that in all the current vacancies. At the very least, its unlikely anyone gets through until primary season is over. No sitting Senator is going to risk a primary loss by a pissed off electorate at the last minute. But then things get more difficult because you are literally in the heart of the campaign this summer.

Obama should nominate a non-controversial moderate liberal and dare the GOP to stall. It would put a gigantic exclamation point on everything the Dems have said about the GOP the last 7 years.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Obama makes a big boy decision to nominate someone that would actually be confirmed then there will be no problem....I just don't see that happening, he's too much of an ideologue and if he does they will just kill his nominees and run the clock out on him.