1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice Department to Open Broad, New Antitrust Review of Big Tech Companies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 23, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

Pretty big news today...hi-tech firms about to get attention they might not have desired.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justic...rust-review-of-big-tech-companies-11563914235

More at link...

BruceAndre likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is prudent. I hope they add more regulations.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprised conservatives will hail BIG gov't and regulations when it comes to what they consider "liberal" tech companies

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm always open to investigating anti-trust situations. I'm just surprised to see conservatives applauding it. I hope that this kind of praise of government regulation in the future as well.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I’m surprised that conservatives would be all for “big government.” Perhaps a bit of intimidation prior to the 2020 election? Barr couldn’t be any more slimy if he tried. I trust him as far as I can spit, which ain’t too far.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I love it, next begin probes on big pharma.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and jcf like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Tech companies are 100% in line with GOP economic policies. They just express socially liberal policies to be accepted by the Hollywood types.

Space Ghost and da_juice like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think you need a broader brush. Surely you can paint with a broader brush than that!

9. fchowd0311

Tech companies are mostly publicly traded companies. It's very easy to predict what policies they prefer. Of course they prefer deregulation. Of course they prefer the lowered corporate rate from the GOP tax bill. Of course the major tech companies would prefer as limitless of an ability to expand horizontally and vertically.

da_juice likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so simple. They are definitely capitalistic and support a lower tax rate for instance - but they do have a more liberal culture and values relative to the landscape of other industries.

These tech companies are punching bags for Trump because his based is frustrated with them for taking down their racist and homophobic content. Of course they will never address the fact that what Trump is now doing is more akin to censorship since you are going to the step of trying to deny more people coverage.

11. fchowd0311

Like I said, they are more proggresive socially but that might just be a product of their environment. It's easy for them to be liberal. They would be fighting an uphill battle on a constant basis if they held right wing social views and that would severely hurt their standing in the community.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The split between FTC and DOJ is strange, almost arbitrary. Here, you take this cases and I’ll take the others one.

But good. What about media and entertainment, and ISP providers?

It also better be strictly limited to antitrust and not abused for some political strong arming.

FWIW, the Republican wasn’t anti antitrust until sometime in the 80s. They were for free market with true free competition with real capitalism. Then they got bought.

Deckard likes this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

Related:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-over-suspended-advertising-account.html

Presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard sues Google over suspended advertising account

more at link...

Nook likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

15. adoo

adoo Member

in the case of facebook, google, amazon, they actually prefer regulation for the social media, the wild wild west of the 21 st century.

regulations effectively amount to a moat for these tech giants, adding another uber expensive barrier to entry for new young / small startups

cml750 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

When it comes to politics, tech companies in question have many similarities to big media.
    • They're beholden to their shareholder
    • Their marketshare comes from eyes
    • The people who work there are largely hold progressive/liberal "big city" values
    • The ownership structure is tightly controled by a single person/family.
    The big key difference is that they're worth ten/hundred times more and control an audience larger than several G10 nations.

They're digital nationstates that are beyond political/national boundaries.

Any person should be rightfully scared by them, even their own employees.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

From eyes??

18. Invisible Fan

Viewership/ad revenue

Amiga likes this.
  19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Favourable regulation is their preferred position, and what they have for the most part. Their immunity to content liability, might be the most valuable regulation to ever exist.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

^^^ This!! Regulations make things much harder on the little guys than the big guys.