1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just heard this Michael Berry dude

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXTXIA, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Will anyone here admit to voluntarily listening to this guy?

I've been too lazy to program 610 and 790 into my car. You know, CLICK, one station. CLICK, the other.

So sometimes I'll stop on 740 when I make the scan between the two sports stations. Not because I love conservative radio. But you can get some actual news amongst the Obama hatred, i.e., last week's West, Texas disaster, and the punk terrorist kids in Boston, etc.

So this morning on 740 I hear what I can only call a "Negro minstrel", a black man singing in a warbling 1940's yes-massuh voice to the tune of "Thanks for the memories": "Thanks for the medicaid...." And then something about "thanks for the unemployment" money, etc.

Berry comes on and takes about 20 seconds to talk about New York City. "Have you ever seen an election in New York? You get a line (of people), and there's the blacks, and the Puerto Ricans, and the Jews...."

Naturally when he segues into the West, Texas disaster, he says the guys who perished there were good people (which I don't doubt, and it was a horrific accident), "good guys....this guy [he mentioned someone specific, can't mention the name] liked to hunt, liked to fish, etc etc...."

It'll be easy not to listen to him again but obviously this is his normal schtick. I looked him up; naturally, he's a Southern Baptist from Houston (see also: Conservative, raging). To his credit, he also graduated magna c*m laude from UH and has two jurisprudence doctorate degrees. (Which makes him scarier. An educated racist.)

I'm not saying, All liberals good; all conservatives bad. No. I've met more than a few of the former who are downright annoying (much as I might be to some of the conservative posters here, although I tend to stand in the shadow of the better-known left-of-center BBS posters; but I digress).

It's not that Berry can't be right on something. A broken clock is right twice a day. I think I was listening to a few minutes of him the other day (on my drive to work; no "Negro minstrels" came on in those few minutes to offend me) when he talked about the burdened economic system and our flawed approach to immigration reform. I didn't agree with everything he said, and I probably flipped to 790 before he was finished, but he did bring up some good points.

I guess what I'm saying is, Unfortunately, he represents the base, ugly side of conservatism. Not that conservatives have a lock on racism and bigotry. But he's clearly speaking for the right.

Does anyone here listen to him?

Do you disavow him because of the bigotry?

Do you actually get a giggle out of the "thanks for the medicaid"? I mean, do you guys seriously equate all black people with a free ride? (Being a native Texan, and knowing more than a few people from my own family, I fear this is a yes.)

Do you simply ignore his worst moments and pay attention to other moments?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I remember Ken Hoffman doing his 1560 lunchtime show years ago talking about a local radio host friend that did conservative talk radio. He didn't want to say his name but did say he was putting on a act for the most part. He said that his friend was a moderate who was really nice and had a great mix of friends.

I've always suspected the friend he was talking about was Michael Berry. Especially after the Gay Bar incident. He's made quite a career for himself.

3. body slam

body slam Member

I listen every now and then on my drive home. Some things are entertaining and others not so much. Its a show that is clearly not for everyone.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've mentioned on here how offensive he is. I've only caught him by accident a few times, same way that you have. (channel surfing out of boredom) Each time he's had something on there that I found offensive or stupid.

That said, people I've talked to say it's a complete act and that's he really an awesome guy that isn't racist in the slightest and is apparently a pro gay rights guy. I was told, but I don't know if it is true, that he has a Hispanic wife and adopted a black baby. He also apparently does a ton of charity work.

So he seems to be shtick.

Also on this subject, apparently Sean Hannity is one of the nicest guys in the world and conservatives and liberals alike get along great with him off set which is why he has no problems getting good guests whereas Bill O truly is the arrogant, pompous jerk that he plays on tv.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Who woulda thunk it?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O_HyZ5aW76c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is the same guy who said somebody should blow up a mosque if it was built near the ground zero. I don't know how you keep your job after saying something like that.

7. ROXTXIA

I understand what you're saying. And I appreciate the comments/posts.

Yet I find it difficult to reconcile whoring oneself out to racists in order to make some bucks. If this is all a gag, it isn't funny.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree with you. I don't listen to his show except by accident, or when I turn to 740 because of some news story. I listened to 740 the day the morning they caught the bomber.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Because it is, unfortunately, what some people think/say.

10. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Michael Berry's wife is Indian

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I guess it was all good based off his apology?

True dat.

...and of course there was the Gay bar parking lot hit & run right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berry_(radio_host)

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Conservative dollars are the easiest dollars. They're like having a personal ATM.

13. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

I listen to him when Matt and Adam are talking about something I could care less about or arguing for the sake of arguing...which seems to be a lot these days. I like his show, and think its pretty funny. I don't agree with everything he says, but do like the show. I do think he kinda gets the 'free pass' on getting grilled as a racist as he does have 2 black kids..which is just fine. We are way too quick to label something that may be a little offensive as 'racist'.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I listen to the Michael Berry dude sometimes. Sometimes it's entertaining. Some people that call in just don't know how to answer to some of his questions, so he catches them off guard. :grin: Again, it's entertaining.

15. ROXTXIA

True statement, but playing a satire shuck-and-jive minstrel that basically paints an entire race as not only dependent on medicaid and unemployment but also as not having advanced past Step 'n Fetch It....well, that's racist. I'm the original politically incorrect liberal, but I'm just surprised what he's getting away with. Maybe I shouldn't be.

16. Anxiety Trooper

Who behaves like that?

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

How does it paint an an entire race? What if it is just a social commentary on a selective group of individuals that act as such?

Not saying it is, but just asking questions.

18. ROXTXIA

It was the "yassuh, boss" tone of the song. You'd probably have to hear it. It was bad enough, but Berry follows it up with his "blacks, Puerto Ricans, Jews" bit.

Anyway, I hate to give the guy any satisfaction or waste much more time ranting. Just seemed like he really crossed the line.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In baseball, Dominicans say "you don't walk off the island". They know they better be swinging for the fences at every at bat if they want any shot at being recognized and paid.

The same is true for conservative pundits. Their target niche isn't thinking people, it's feeling people. They need to incite the most visceral reaction they can or they will fade into the wallpaper, and they won't get paid.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]