1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Just had a scary thought...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, maybe I am suddenly worrying about nothing, maybe someone can reassure me, but I got a case of the heebie-jeebies about this earlier this evening...

It's about Bonzi.

The guy signed a 2-year contract, correct? Year #2 was considered by all to be a mere formality, everyone assuming that Bonzi would opt out after the first year, as the 2nd year was a PLAYER OPTION (eeek!).

Now, here we sit, at the end of this year's season, and Bonzi has done everything in his power to get the Rox to release him, but the Rox won't do it. Because if they do, we must pay Bonzi the full 2 years' worth on his contract, including next year.

I know our salary cap issue next year is going to limit us enough as it is, so something like that would be unthinkable.

But all of a sudden, I realized that Bonzi sort of has Houston over a barrel. He has absolutely no incentive to opt out of his contract next year. He got paid fully THIS year without having to lift a finger. I am assuming that he was trying to get us to relase him so that we would be on the hook for his full 2-year contract, and he could STILL have latched on with another team and gotten paid double. That is the only reason I can think of that we have NOT released the guy this season.

But what happens next year? The 2nd year is at Bonzi's option, not the team's. If we release him, we have to pay him. Or am I wrong? He has made himself essentially unmarketable - no sane GM is going to be trying to hand Bonzi big bucks after his clown act this year. He obviously has no pride, or shame, and I can very easily see him deciding not to opt out of his contract. The Rox have as much as declared that Wells will never suit up for this team again. Incredibly, this gives him the advantage over us, it seems, and it would not surprise me in the least to see him stick around, and force us to release him, whereupon he can then be signed by any other team who wants him.

So the question I have is, how much exactly are we on the hook for, for him, next year? And how severely would it affect our cap situation if he sticks around, particularly in regards to being able to possibly sign any other FA's? And could we be steely enough and bloody-minded enough, stubborn enough, to flat out keep him on the roster all year, and never release him (which would, I think, come very close to essentially ending his career)? Could we stomach running all year with, in reality, only a 14-man roster?

Now I admit I have not read all the other zillions Bonzi threads, so maybe someone else has already brought this up. If so, my apologies. Hopefully I am worrying over nothing.

2. huynhct

huynhct Member

thought this would be about tmac's knee :eek:

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if bonzi does decide to stay in houston if jvg or other coach decides he isnt putting in an effort to help the team chances are he would be traded to the crappiest team in the league for a salary dump i am sure there are gms in the league willing to try to take him on considering his talent level and salary

4. fredthered

fredthered Member

We signed Bonzi to a very low offer, so I am not too concerned about this. I think his entire tenure with us was doomed though because he was so resentful over the contract situation with the kings, turning down $38M and what not.

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

ya it shouldn't be hard to dump a bonzi wells on the second year of a 2 year contract, making 2 million, someone, detriot, will take him for nothing.

I think bonzi will get going with free agency early this year before the dollars dry up.

6. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Bonzi will still probably opt out and a lot of GMs would be after him.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, it's a possibility. However, I think he'll opt out, go to a subpar team where he can get a lot of minutes, and then try and get his payday. Regarding your question about whether the Rockets would be able to handle a whole season of playing with only 14 guys.... look no further than the '06-'07 Rockets who played the whole season without Bob Sura.

8. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

Hopefully, Bonzi will rededicate himself during the off-season and be productive for whoever team he joins (including us). Unlike last summer, he doesn't have to worry about groin injuries. You have to admit that he was looking like he was in shape when he was recently activated.

Lets not treat Bonzi like some villain. He did not pull a Terrell Owens. He was not a cancer. JVG had no problem with him. None of the players had a problem with him. He was saying all the right things before this freak stunt, like saying he'd be a cheerleader on the bench if coach doesn't play him.

If for whatever reason he decides to NOT opt out of his contract, I would welcome him back with open arms. Again, we're still not paying him much, that's the key. Good luck Bonzi.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I thought this was about Head's increase PT at the 1

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly. If he doesn't opt out then the Rockets can trade him and he'll make his measley 2 million. If he options out he can test the free agent waters.

11. matpio

matpio Member

Bonzi will opt out, and will get more money and more playing time with an other team.

12. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

exactly. Detroit might still be willing to get him and I could see why, with him in detroit with c-web, it might work out but then again like JVG said Wells doesn't want to be a half-man so with so much talent already in detroit it may not work out since he wants to be a starter or get the respect he "apperently" deserves.

13. flipmode

flipmode Member

i don't see a problem with roster space, seeing as we got through this season only playing 8 players, 9 if we're lucky. van gundy will make do with a small rotation and rarely threatens the max roster limit with players he'll actually play.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If he doesn't show to training camp, refuses to go in the game, etc... Then he can simply be fined or suspended without pay. Stern would side with the Rockets. No big deal.

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Who cares? its like 2 million. It was worth the risk.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I thought it was about midget clowns, spider webs, and Rafer.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I agree- this is the right attitude. He is not TO - I think the Rockets Brass including Van Gundy do not harbor any ill will toward him.

We're not obligated much here contract wise.. We can easily trade him with the low contract. I'm sure his agent will be trying to market him. It is not the end of the world if we pay him. It will be 2 million plus against the cap- but we will be fine IMHO.

Good luck Bonzi!

18. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Member

Funny thing is, as I was watching the game. I started thinking how TMac's knee looks so fragile and that if he or Yao got hurt, our season is over. Then when Tmac was on the floor, I was like oh s*** it came true!!

19. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'd much rather we fix this thing up. No one EVER gets in good shape in the summer before signing a new contract.

Bonzi would be helping himself and the Rockets out by staying with us, working out hard this summer, and joining training camp. He could really be an asset to this team if our coaching staff had the summer and training camp to work on his habits.

No one will give Bonzi a guaranteed two year deal. They won't even make it his option, unless it's the same money we're offering. I can see him coming back, but I can also see him leaving.

What worries me though is that T-Mac seemed indifferent to his absence, which means he won't put in the effort to have Bonzi reconsider staying with us.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's not a lot of money, so it may not be that big a deal just to release him. But I'm sure we can work out some sort of trade. Or, hell, maybe just keep him on the team next year. Who knows, second year might work out better.